Thread: The Bothy Band reunion - first concert in 45 years

The Bothy Band reunion - first concert in 45 years

Well this is pretty huge news in the Irish Trad world. I sure hope this is recorded and filmed!!!!

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/music...lfast-3825646/

Trad legends The Bothy Band announce first Irish concert for 45 years - in Belfast

ONE of the most influential Irish trads bands of all time is reforming to play their first Irish concert since 1979 at Belfast’s TradFest.

The Bothy Band are set to return to the stage to play their first Irish concert for 45 years at Belfast’s Waterfront Hall.

The show on Sunday February 25 will be part of the city’s annual TradFest event’s Winter Weekend.

Once described as “a rock’n’roll band in folk clothing”, The Bothy Band’s line-up is a ‘who’s who’ of Irish music, featuring Matt Molloy (The Chieftains), Donal Lunny (Planxty, Moving Hearts), Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill (Skara Brae), Kevin Burke (Patrick Street), Paddy Glackin (Ushers Island) and uilleann pipe supremo Paddy Keenan, coming together to perform their first public concert in 45 years as The Bothy Band. They will be joined in Belfast by Seán Óg Graham on guitar.

Formed in 1975, the band were together for just five years, but left an indelible imprint on Irish music. Known for their incendiary live performances driven by a front line of fiddle, pipes and flute underpinned by a powerhouse rhythm section of guitar, bouzouki and clavichord, they released three studio albums and one live set.

In 2006, founding member Mícheál Ó Domhnaill died, while Donegal’s Tommy Peoples who played fiddle on the band’s first recording passed away in 2018.

After reuniting October of this year for a TV documentary on The Bothy Band’s brief but illustrious career, the band members enjoyed the experience so much that they decided to perform live again.

Donal Lunny says: “As we embark on the journey of bringing The Bothy Band together to grace the stage at Belfast’s Waterfront Hall, the anticipation is both exhilarating and humbling.

“The prospect of reuniting with such exceptional musicians after over four decades is a testament to the enduring power of our musical connection and the timeless appeal of traditional music.

“Belfast holds a special place in the heart of Irish musical history, and the Waterfront Hall provides the perfect canvas for our first Irish reunion concert. The echoes of the past blend with the vibrant energy of the present as we prepare to bring The Bothy Band’s distinctive sound back to life.

“The city’s rich musical heritage and the enthusiastic audience at the Belfast TradFest Winter Weekend create a fitting backdrop for this momentous occasion”.

Belfast TradFest Artistic Director Dónal O’Connor says “The Bothy Band’s influence on the landscape of Irish folk music is immeasurable, and to witness their magic after nearly half a century is a rare and extraordinary opportunity.

“As they reunite, we can expect a night of musical alchemy, where Belfast will resonate with the timeless sound of this iconic band, creating a moment that will be etched into the hearts of all who attend.

“This reunion is not merely a concert: it’s a celebration of a musical legacy reborn, and Belfast TradFest are honoured to be part of this historic event.”

GAk2BVnWcAA74qj.jpg

Big news and a big deal. Can't help but be disappointed that it took so long for them to get back together.

I have owned Old Hag for something like 40 years and it still rocks and works!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Big news and a big deal. Can't help but be disappointed that it took so long for them to get back together.
    Yes a show in the late 90's or early 2000 would have been perfect! Both Mícheál Ó Domhnaill and Tommy Peoples could have taken part. Can you imagine the show with THREE fiddlers (Glackin, Burke AND Peoples) would have been insane!! The Planxty reunion in 2004 was great and good timing. And more recently Sweeney's Men in 2012 and Andy Irvine / Paul Brady (with Dónal Lunny and Kevin Burke) did a bunch of shows to commemorate that classic 1976 album. I think one of those shows was filmed.

So I'm super happy to see this Bothy version before it becomes too late for everyone. I had given up on this and figured it would never happen. They just really have to film and record this for the fans around the world!

THIS is awesome! I've loved this band, and also Planxty for a long, long while now. I have both 1975 and Old Hag on vinyl. Donal Lunny is flat-out awesome.

Saw them in the late 70s at university!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

sourdough advocate
    Fantastic news!!
    When in doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Saw them in the late 70s at university!
    oh WOW!! Must have been incredible - Their live shows in the 70s are the stuff of legend!

As i scour youtube I do see that there were some partial reunions in the late 90s and early 00s - each was missing some key players though. But some of them include members who won't be at this one, so it is cool to check out as we get ready for next month.

This one - 1999 - while it is missing Paddy Keenan and Kevin Burke it has everyone else including Michael and Tommy who have both passed on.

Then there is this from 2002 - which does have Paddy Keenan but no Donal, Kevin or Tommy

Wow, I had some of their albums but have completely forgotten about them over the years.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Wow, I had some of their albums but have completely forgotten about them over the years.
    I have 2 of their albums, but also had forgotten about them.