Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Songs You're Sick Of

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Here we go again. Someone put Sweet Caroline on the jukebox. And everyone is singing it. Screw me.
    Can you pay the bar to remove it from the jukebox? You seem like a good customer ;-)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't get the whole "Sweet Caroline" thing. Nothing to do with sports or competition, and it's not terribly anthemic. Not the worst thing you're likely to hear at a sporting event, but it sets my teeth on edge.
    I've never been anywhere that people sang along with "Sweet Caroline." I didn't even know it was a thing. Is it regional? Or am I just lucky in the places I choose to go?
    Frog in boiling water

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I've never been anywhere that people sang along with "Sweet Caroline." I didn't even know it was a thing. Is it regional? Or am I just lucky in the places I choose to go?
    So prevalent - Jim Beam made a commercial about it....

I have not heard it in bars, but at sporting events in Michigan it is played at pretty much every game.

I basically only know about it second-hand, as I don't really attend sporting events. I still don't get the "Hallelujah" thing. I may have heard that song once or twice, but I honestly couldn't even tell you how it goes. I also have never had Peeps, never went to summer camp and have never seen a single episode of Bob Ross' TV show. Regardless of what hack TV writers would have you believe, not every pop culture thing is universal.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

It's huge in South Jersey. It's the song for your wedding. It's a song for the bar..as people will stay longer buying more drinks if the band plays it and they dance to it. It's like "hey..hey..with the Monkees " but The Monkees might be more enjoyable.

A lot of guys will hear it and ask a girl to dance. I hear it and I wanna put a gun to my head or vomit. I don't understand what's happened to music ? I understand the difference between commercially contrived music and music that is inspired. ...its just that I recall a different generation of people being able or inclined to laugh at stuff like this and having a really good time doing it. That's because people generally valued music differently back then.

Sweet Caroline...the song is overrated..overplayed...Neil Diamond was not some sort of terrible artist...its how the South Jersey crowd worships Sweet Caroline . It's how they personalize it and how they are easily offended when someone doesn't like it. Because it's no longer subjective in their eyes right? Sweet Caroline is usually included in the handpicked song list of South Jersey. ..alongside Hotel California and Dead Or Alive..

Sweet Caroline...fuck me I could never stand that song. I'm sure I mentioned it in this thread way back. That annoying sing-along shit has now invaded every sports arena...at least here in the tri-state area. I'm hearing Bon Jovi 'Livin on a Prayer' at games now as well. Kill me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Sweet Caroline...fuck me I could never stand that song. I'm sure I mentioned it in this thread way back. That annoying sing-along shit has now invaded every sports arena...at least here in the tri-state area. I'm hearing Bon Jovi 'Livin on a Prayer' at games now as well. Kill me.
    I'm happy to say I haven't heard Sweet Caroline in about a month. I'll probably jinx it now. The evening is young. I've heard a few Lynyrd Skynyrd songs at this pub, and a few classic rock songs, but no Caroline.

The eons are closing
    I like Neil at lot; Hot August Night is still in rotation in Casa Mudshark....

But this S.C. shit in bars, arenas, social situations is awful.

Re: BJ
    When you're ready to throw down with the arenas on that shit, call me and I will join your crusade.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk

Oh good grief... I took my earbuds out to take a break,.....aaaaaand....on the jukebox comes....Hotel California. I dig the Eagles, but I'm sick of this song. Just sick of it.

Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, but I think we can safely add "Down Under" by Men at Work to the list of Songs Nobody Ever Needs to Hear Again.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, but I think we can safely add "Down Under" by Men at Work to the list of Songs Nobody Ever Needs to Hear Again.
    boo this man- what a classic.
    Here is what I'm tired of. Every. single. bar. :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpTFmoV_LU

At this moment, I'm being subjected to.......The Spice Girls.....If You Wanna Be My Lover..... I swear. Can't say I'm sick of it, but I hate it.

the same 5 songs by artists radio stations play all day....

My next door neighbors daughter just turned 18 recently and they had a big party. For some reason they blasted Barry Manilow's 'Copacabana' at least 5 different times throughout the night. What made it more painful was they kept singing along with it. Fuckin torture! Normally a song gets a pass with me if it was performed on The Muppet Show, but not anymore! On to the shitlist it goes...

My next door neighbors daughter just turned 18 recently and they had a big party. For some reason they blasted Barry Manilow's 'Copacabana' at least 5 different times throughout the night. What made it more painful was they kept singing along with it. Fuckin torture! Normally a song gets a pass with me if it was performed on The Muppet Show, but not anymore! On to the shitlist it goes...
    Are you sure you aren't just pissed off because you weren't invited to the party?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Are you sure you aren't just pissed off because you weren't invited to the party?
    well that would probably be a little creepy being that I'm 53, but maybe I was!!

well that would probably be a little creepy being that I'm 53, but maybe I was!!
    Hang out with her parents!

Anyway, I saw Barry on some special not that long ago and it really wasn't that bad but it was mostly a nostalgic thing for me since he was really popular when I was a kid (I'm only a year older than you).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Hang out with her parents!

Anyway, I saw Barry on some special not that long ago and it really wasn't that bad but it was mostly a nostalgic thing for me since he was really popular when I was a kid (I'm only a year older than you).
    I actually owned Manilow's live album on vinyl when I was younger. He was a pretty talented guy in a cheesy kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually owned Manilow's live album on vinyl when I was younger. He was a pretty talented guy in a cheesy kind of way.
    And some of us are very thankful to Mr. Manilow because from his back-up band came the amazing, jazzy band Uncle Festive. They very smartly made good money with Barry and then would perform what they loved to play when they had time off. They were early adopters of straight-to-digital/one-take recording. Ron Pedley is the genius (and BL for Barry). He has some excellent solo recordings,and has two records with John Pondel (guitarist for UF) under the name “Kombo”

VERY, VERY RECOMMENDED!

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/uncl...8133#biography

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The worst song in the world. I remember when I was much younger I would get nauseous every time 10cc “I’m not in love” came on. They played that song til it died.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I realized one after hearing it in supermarkets twice in the same week:

Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me

I never liked it much to begin with, but I'm really sick of it now. "Yes, it's you. And you sound high-maintenance!"

Is anyone sick of Piano Man by Billy Joel? . I'm not sick of it but it seems to be one of those bar songs like Sweet Caroline. When the bar patrons are singing along it instantly becomes........a song I'm sick of.......XD

I watched some of the Charlie the Unicorn animated series this week. I'm sick of hearing "Put a Banana in Your Ear". it got inside my head and won't go away.

Songs I don't need to ever hear again:

Guns N Roses / Welcome To The Jungle
    Prince / Purple Rain and When Doves Cry
    Village People / YMCA
    Kid Rock / Bawitdaba
    Michael Jackson / Thriller