Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New album coming from David Gilmour in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    He needs a good co-writer or it will be just another plodder
    I doubt it would happen but what if Steven Wilson and David Gilmour made an album together..

I still like RTL a lot, and On an Island never did anything for me.
    I’m excited about a new album—but certainly a lot more excited at the prospect of a tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Indeed, but he never did an amazing one either, all are just average. (with "Rattle..." being below average)
    On an island I thought was rather good. I’d have to revisit it again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love DG's first solo album, at least for personal reasons. It's a perfect 'quiet winter day' album, it has a soothing effect on me. Maybe not his most elaborate songwriting, and it may qualify as a 'plodding' album, but there's a nice vibe and a great guitar tone (well, as always).
    I'm always interested in hearing something new from him, and I respect his will to do something different from Floyd. That being said, I found the instrumental tracks on his latest albums a bit underwhelming. The track 'Beauty', for instance, is promising but fades away as soon as it really gets going IMHO. Well, at this stage, it's nice just to hear something new.

You can't go wrong with Steve Gadd.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I like Gilmour’s solo stuff. I think that On An Island and Rattle That Lock are roughly comparable in quality to A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell and I enjoy both of those records. He’s largely just continued to make music in that same vein. It’s not classic era Floyd, but I think it’s solid enough. I really like The Endless River too.
    Exactly! DG solo (and latter day PF) isn't going to make anyone toss out their top albums, but all of them have memorable moments on them. Probably I would say Rattle That Lock is my least fav of his but is still worthwhile tracks on there.
    Really looking forward to what Eno and especially Steve Gadd bring to the table on the new album. Maybe pick up the pace on a few tracks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I love DG's first solo album, at least for personal reasons. It's a perfect 'quiet winter day' album, it has a soothing effect on me. Maybe not his most elaborate songwriting, and it may qualify as a 'plodding' album, but there's a nice vibe and a great guitar tone (well, as always).
    I was waiting for someone to say this! And there are also the connections the album has to Unicorn and to Roy Harper which give it extra coolness.

Now I've had to go and put Rattle That Lock on! Naturally I have the deluxe box set, but it's bizarre - it includes a hardcover copy of Book II of Paradise Lost, and I have no idea why (sorry Professors Mortensen and Persky).

Gilmour's voice is very soothing, and that's part of the appeal, IMO. If you watched some of the "lockdown" videos he and his family posted on YouTube, the whole family is very soothing, in a villa on a Greek island, or Italian, or something.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Indeed, but he never did an amazing one either, all are just average. (with "Rattle..." being below average)
    Yes, I’ve yet to hear a great album with DG that is not Pink Floyd. Who knows, maybe it will happen in 2024 …
    Last edited by MikeEnRegalia; 01-01-2024 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Best thing he's ever done solo.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I want to hear Dave's all-instrumental rendition of Dark Side of the Moon.
    For that matter, I'd love to hear an all-instrumental album from David. And maybe electronic based.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    For that matter, I'd love to hear an all-instrumental album from David. And maybe electronic based.
    I feel like we all ready got that with The Endless River and Metallic Spheres. IMHO Gilmour’s voice is such an appealing part of his arsenal that I wouldn’t especially want him to not sing.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Then you should check his collaborative work with the electronic band The Orb: "Metallic Spheres " (2023)

Very often such association doesn't work well but here it does.

But don't expect some neo-70ies psych, this sounds very modern and close to the Ambient/House style The Orb are know for.

^^The 2023-version is a "reimagined and remixed" version released as ‘Metallic Spheres In Colour’. The original version is from 2010.

https://www.legacyrecordings.com/202...olour-out-now/

Big fan of DG's work on Alan Parson's song Return To Tunguska on the A Valid Path. Checks the electronic based box, with a couple of solo's with a Fat Old Sun sound.

Of all of David's solo stuff, my favorites are the first two: David Gilmour (1978) and About Face (1984) specially since I saw that tour in '84.

Since then, the rest are all just above par but just ok, IMHO.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Of all of David's solo stuff, my favorites are the first two: David Gilmour (1978) and About Face (1984) specially since I saw that tour in '84.

Since then, the rest are all just above par but just ok, IMHO.
    Unfortunately, there are only two others.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^The 2023-version is a "reimagined and remixed" version released as ‘Metallic Spheres In Colour’. The original version is from 2010.

https://www.legacyrecordings.com/202...olour-out-now/
    Both have some nice ambient/atmospheric (guitar) parts but I'm not very fond of the heavy over-present electro-beats.
    I would have better liked a "David Gilmour featuring The Orb" collaboration.