Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: BIG BIG TRAIN - THE LIKES OF US MARCH 1st 2024

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I've not been able to find much of anything written about the cruise.
    Reviews will certainly show up and Greg Spawton will write about it in his blog, available on the band's website. The latest installment, published today, stops just before the cruise.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Sounds like they owned the CTTE.
    I only saw the pool stage show, but it was very very good and they had a huge crowd for it. Possibly the largest pool stage show of the whole cruise. I was able to stand about a few feet from the middle of the stage. The one thing I really notice is how similar the vocals are between the new guy and Nick. Their voices sound a lot a like. Lots of nice 4 part harmonies between the singers and the music was flawless.

People are effusive with praise on the BBT FaceBook group, but obviously that is a fan site and there's seldom anything but pure positivity.

It does seem that they drew some of the largest crowds, which is great to see. I was amazed that people were queueing for the theatre show over 3 hours before stage time. Is it a free for all on these ships? I would have expected some ticketing and a more relaxed vibe tbh.

Big Big Train's performance in the theater on the Cruise was sublime. Seemed to be the general consensus and pretty obvious by the crowd reaction in the theater. I think it even took the band by surprise, at least a little. There were many good and great performances on the Cruise, but BBT Sunday night was the one. YMMV

Thank you for all the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I only saw the pool stage show, but it was very very good and they had a huge crowd for it. Possibly the largest pool stage show of the whole cruise. I was able to stand about a few feet from the middle of the stage. The one thing I really notice is how similar the vocals are between the new guy and Nick. Their voices sound a lot a like. Lots of nice 4 part harmonies between the singers and the music was flawless.
    It was certainly the largest pool stage crowd of the ones I saw this year. And, yes, it was fantastic - both of their shows were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    People are effusive with praise on the BBT FaceBook group, but obviously that is a fan site and there's seldom anything but pure positivity.

It does seem that they drew some of the largest crowds, which is great to see. I was amazed that people were queueing for the theatre show over 3 hours before stage time. Is it a free for all on these ships? I would have expected some ticketing and a more relaxed vibe tbh.
    Some of the theater shows for headliners (Steve Hackett, Marillion, Riverside, Flying Colors) are reserved seating but most of them are general admission. I decided not to stand in line for the theater show as there were other artists I wanted to see and I knew I would see them on the pool stage later in the cruise. Most of the G.A. theater shows are easy to get into, but BBT was a very popular band on the ship, so a bit unusual.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 03-15-2024 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Some of the theater shows for headliners (Steve Hackett, Marillion, Riverside, Flying Colors) are reserved seating but most of them are general admission. I decided not to stand in line for the theater show as there were other artists I wanted to see and I knew I would see them on the pool stage later in the cruise. Most of the G.A. theater shows are easy to get into, but BBT was a very popular band on the ship, so a bit unusual.
    Despite a lot of chatter before the trip about it being really hard to get into their theater show, it wasn't bad at all. I believe some people were really early, but our group had no problem getting really good balcony seats by showing up maybe 15-20 minutes early. There was a line and it was long, but it is a decent sized theater and so long as you weren't determined to be in the very front, we never had issues getting decent seats. We simply decided not to go wait in long lines for more than a short period at the theater. We really only waited in a pair of lines more than 20 minutes because they were in the small venue (Spinnaker) and we either did want to be in particular seats or knew it would fill up. I actually think the "advice" from some on the FB group led to folks lining up earlier than they really had to most of the time. One nice thing about lining up for the Spinnaker is you could listen to the pool stage while you waited which was a pretty enjoyable way to do it.

Edit to add - it wasn't even full at the start - I don't think it was ever completely full.
    Last edited by Mstove; 03-15-2024 at 09:25 AM.

This was our view with only a short time in line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. I missed hearing the full brass section in NJ. Still outstanding shows. And yeah, the harmonies were really nice.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Anyone else listening to the new album? I think it's my fave BBT album ever, really loving it.

^ I think it's very good. One song is a little saccharine, but it's a very good album, and I'm miles from being a fanboy.

The album is finally starting to sink in. Today's morning listen in loud and living 5.1 has confirmed what I suspected: I really like this album. A few thoughts.

The artwork is not an aspect of this album that I will think of with kindness. But I'm also forced to admit I really haven't liked the artwork for any BBT album. In other words, this is a "me" problem, one that, thankfully, does not influence how I view the music. Odd fact? Anyone else notice that the overlapping squares on the front cover is virtually the same design used by Faith No More on their album We Care a Lot? Does BBT also view their work as a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it???

EDIT (so I can seem like less of a dick): Too harsh on the artwork. Sorry about that. Folklore has a nice design to it. I like the muted spring-ish colors on this new one.

Bravin is great throughout. Occasionally I hear what sounds like accentuated English, but that might just be his voice. Tough to say. Nevertheless, he has a big, dramatic style, a perfect style for BBT.

Sjöblom seems to have taken a back seat on this one and not just in terms of writing. Not noticing as large a presence as on the past few albums. Initially, this seems like a bad thing. More Rikard is more better! But the role serves the music well. In fact, the entire album has more of a consistent band feel.

Lindley has a bit of a folky, fiddle-esque approach to playing in a few spots. That's not something I ever heard when Hall was in the band.

Spawton's playing is excellent throughout. Big, up-front Ric lines.

"Beneath the Masts" deserves a spot alongside the band's great epics.

This is the best BBT album since Folklore, perhaps even since the English Electric albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Post-tour merch here, grabbed the shirt that sold out!

https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Post-tour merch here, grabbed the shirt that sold out!

https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
    Picked up a blue T-shirt. Really enjoyed BBT in NJ and then on the CTTE. The song Apollo was even better with a full horn section (NJ just had a trumpet).
    BBT was the buzz of the cruise as was Lonely Robot.
    Glad I got to see both.
    Btw…the cruise had great weather, the seas were like silk most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Sjöblom seems to have taken a back seat on this one and not just in terms of writing. Not noticing as large a presence as on the past few albums.
    You're probably right if you're comparing with the last 2 albums on which he plays the vast majority of the guitars and keyboards.
    But I'm guessing many parts on the new album that you might think are played by Foster or Holdorff are his. At least as far as the guitar solos are concerned, I can hear a lot of trade offs between Foster and Sjöblom. Their playing styles are fairly easy to tell apart.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I finished listening to Beneath the Masts for the first time. Wow! Before I listened to the song, I was worried that the band would have troubles replicating the same quality level that they once had back when David Longdon was around, and that they would sound like they're running out of steam, but... I was dead wrong and tbh I think the song is not only a little prog masterpiece in general, but perhaps even one of the best and most epic BBT songs since, I dunno, like, Folklore or something. Oh, and Alberto Bravin's English pronunciation is a fricking triumph of language learning. Not kidding. The hands down best English accent I've ever heard from an Italian singer.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I finished listening to Beneath the Masts for the first time. Wow! Before I listened to the song, I was worried that the band would have troubles replicating the same quality level that they once had back when David Longdon was around, and that they would sound like they're running out of steam, but... I was dead wrong and tbh I think the song is not only a little prog masterpiece in general, but perhaps even one of the best and most epic BBT songs since, I dunno, like, Folklore or something. Oh, and Alberto Bravin's English pronunciation is a fricking triumph of language learning. Not kidding. The hands down best English accent I've ever heard from an Italian singer.

Agreed completely. Maybe it’s a slow burn for some but it has definitely ascended up my list of Big Big Train tunes. Have to assume this will become a live staple.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for my Amazon.ca order. Release date April 19th.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    The last verse....when the full band come back in on "the moon is rising" line, its a golden prog moment. This album is likely to be my fave of the year I think.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

The band have announced that Foster is stepping aside. No word on if the band will replace him.

The band have announced that Foster is stepping aside.
    Dave Foster comments: “Unfortunately both last year and later this year Big Big Train’s touring has clashed with my Steve Rothery Band commitments. Additionally, when the band toured in the United States a few months ago, logistics meant that it was necessary for me to sit out those shows. We have all concluded that these challenges are neither in my nor BBT’s best interests and therefore it makes sense for us to go our separate ways.
    I’m very proud of my involvement in the Common Ground, Welcome To The Planet and The Likes Of Us albums and will always treasure the memories of the shows that I played with the band in the UK and the Netherlands in 2022. While I’m sorry to be exiting Big Big Train, I will be rooting for the band’s continuing success.”

Gregory Spawton says: “Dave is a great player and a wonderful personality and we’re very grateful to him for his contribution over the last few years to Big Big Train. He will always be part of the wider BBT family and we wish him the very best of luck in his future musical endeavours”.

No word on if the band will replace him.
    Big Big Train announced: "Big Big Train will continue with a line-up of Alberto Bravin, Nick D’Virgilio, Oskar Holldorff, Clare Lindley, Rikard Sjöblom and Gregory Spawton."

^I was thinking more as a live concern and should have clarified. Bravin plays keys and guitar (and has played keys live with the band), so maybe a bit more Sjöblom leads and some Bravin rhythm guitar. Not a bad thing (not that Foster is a slouch, of course!).

Ember
    TBH, I did not miss Foster much in the two NJ shows. Bravin acquitted himself admirably on electric/acoustic and on keys, without compromising his dynamic frontman stage presence. Rikard was fantastic. When there needed to be two electric guitars, or multiple acoustics, or whatever combo, there generally were. Missed the brass a lot more, though less than expected, and less in the moment than in retrospect.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."