Thread: Brian Godding R.I.P.

Brian Godding R.I.P.

A largely unheralded guitarist who pushed the edge (often giving us some pretty narcotic stuff). I had a pretty hard time w/ some of this album, back in 74' (mainly the vocals) but Elephant's Tale, (also on Mirage w/ George Khan) and Mermaid Song (go to 30:45) were earworms that went somewhere near the trippiest Herbie Hancock and Can.

That is sad news. He worked with Bob Downes too and can be found on Crossing Borders and New York Suite. He can also be heard on Julie Driscoll's album 1969.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Brian also played with Magma, though his guitar sounds were lost on the master tape of Magma Live.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

As posted in the RIP Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by headphoneland View Post

I think my favourites are his two fantastic ethereal mystical compositions on Mirage's 'Now You See It', the clear highlights of that album IMO. I was attending electronics college in London 20 odd years ago and going through a hard time personally. One lunch-break I miraculously found that rare Mirage LP along with Italian band Men of Lake's debut LP in a junk shop! I played both albums over and over and they really seemed to help me through, the music just had some kind of healing effect. I subsequently obtained the excellent 'Slaughter on Shaftesbury Ave'. RIP Brian, thank you for the music.
    For me it was the other way arround: had Slaugter for a long time before I discovered Now You See It. If I remember correctly I ordered the latter from Brian personally (or after contacting him from a Discogs-seller).
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    A largely unheralded guitarist who pushed the edge (often giving us some pretty narcotic stuff). I had a pretty hard time w/ some of this album, back in 74' (mainly the vocals) but Elephant's Tale, (also on Mirage w/ George Khan) and Mermaid Song (go to 30:45) were earworms that went somewhere near the trippiest Herbie Hancock and Can.

Released with the first album on CD: https://www.discogs.com/master/10330...c-Brain-Damage

As a fellow lefty guitarist, I was a long time admirer, and along with Ollie Halsall he was a guitar hero of mine. Loved his work with Mirage, Magma and Annette Peacock.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Brian was an excellent player who, like Ray Russell, made his living playing sessions, and so while he was always in financially good shape, he was not as well known as his skills deserved.

Rest in Peace.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Brian also played with Magma, though his guitar sounds were lost on the master tape of Magma Live.
    Live? Not Kohntarkhosz?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

One of the greats. Sad day indeed...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Damn- sorry to hear this. Very talented and a nice guy. Many years ago I bought a signed Blossom Toes CD from him via his website and we corresponded a bit..
    His musical recollections are hilarious. He was not a fan of Eric Burdon.....

http://www.lotsawatts.co.uk/pages/so_far_01.html

He played on Kohntarkhosz, but I dont think he toured much with Magma. Aymeric probably knows.

He was a very nice guy !
    I emailed with him a couple of times and I bought one of his last copies of 'Slaughter on Shaftesbury Avenue' (the CD-version) from him.
    He was very impressed with the Magma bands skills, and since we had a dispute here who played the long mesmerizing solo on Köhntarkösz, some thought it was him on guitar, I asked him, and he confirmed that it was Michel Graillier on Rhodes with a fuzz, but was very flattered by the thought :-) .

His memorable intro to Mike Westbrook's Citadel/Room 315 is a spectacular start to a very fine album. His contributions to Westbrook's other albums, The Cortege and London Bridge Is Broken Down were also notable. R.I.P. and gone to soon.

Derailing a bit with a fine bass solo from Steve Lamb with Kevin Coyne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICAlea72mU

Back on track:

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-29-2023 at 07:31 AM.

^^ I never realized the tracks on the LP Slaughter On Shaftesbury Avenue were played by three different bands, GLS, Other Routes and Full Monte. The track Night Shift from Full Monte was replaced by another piece from GLS, Happy Endings. When you look at the comments on Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/release/7754...tesbury-Avenue) there are more differences between the LP and the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^ I never realized the tracks on the LP Slaughter On Shaftesbury Avenue were played by three different bands, GLS, Other Routes and Full Monte. The track Night Shift from Full Monte was replaced by another piece from GLS, Happy Endings. When you look at the comments on Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/release/7754...tesbury-Avenue) there are more differences between the LP and the CD.
    yes, same number of tracks, but different titles...hmm...

Yes, I got a copy of the third Blossom Toes album from his site and he signed it for me and was very personable in his correspondence.

RIP

I'm a big fan of his work with Mike Westbrook, Centipede and, of course, of his impromptu appearence in Kohntarkosz. Rest in peace.

His track "Seed" from the BB Blunder "Workers Playtime" LP reminds me a little of "Point Me At The Sky"..actually there's a fair few late 60's/early 70's British underground tracks in this vein..good stuff.