Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Jobson-Beginnings and the story of the first U.K. Album

Eddie Jobson-Beginnings and the story of the first U.K. Album

From 'The Yak' YouTube Channel-

Looks interesting.. thanks for posting

I watched this last night, pretty good!

I do wish I had received more recognition and appreciation for my work on this iconic U.K. album. It was 'self produced' by the band which puts a massive demand on the recording and mixing engineer - and we used a lot of fascinating and experimental recording techniques to create the unique sound of this album. So delighted to have been an important part of it. SWTx

Quote Originally Posted by SWT View Post
    I do wish I had received more recognition and appreciation for my work on this iconic U.K. album. It was 'self produced' by the band which puts a massive demand on the recording and mixing engineer - and we used a lot of fascinating and experimental recording techniques to create the unique sound of this album. So delighted to have been an important part of it. SWTx

This is a phenomenal sounding album , the way In the Dead of Night just leaps out of the speakers. The roto toms sound phenomenal and it’s my favourite recording of Bruford .

So you are Stephen W Tayler? If so there is a lot, and I mean a lot of love for the UK debut in these parts so thanks for your contribution to one of the greatest albums from the original prog era.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    So you are Stephen W Tayler? If so there is a lot, and I mean a lot of love for the UK debut in these parts so thanks for your contribution to one of the greatest albums from the original prog era.
    I'll echo that sentiment! The UK debut is on a relatively short list of albums I've owned since it came out that I have never grown tired of hearing. I do a front-to-back listening probably every couple months or so. The quality of playing, composition, sounds and production of the album are almost unmatched, IMO.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^Yes, what they said! We love U.K.!

U.K. Was a revelation when it came out. It’s probably my most played album of the “classic” era. Nevermore is among my favorite tunes of all time. The intro still boggles my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U.K.'s First Album has been a Huge Favorite of Mine since it came out in 1978. So I thank you for your work as recording & mixing engineer on the album.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What happened to Ollie Woodpecker?

SWT…UK’s first album is a treasure here, so welcome and thank you for your contributions. One quick look on Discogs and I see there are credits from everything from Soft Machine to Brand X to The Fixx. I’m sure you have some interesting stories.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I guess you mean recognition and appreciation from the musicians involved. The fans (I bought it when it came out and it's still one of my favorite albums) have praised it a lot, including the wonderful sound. I remember an interview in a Dutch magazine, done with all four members, where they talked about the way the album was recorded. Very informative.

Looking forward to a book with your memoirs on your work in the studio, Stephen! So many albums from groups and artists in my collection have been engineered by you.

B.t.w. thanks to the OP for the video. A friend had just mailed me the link. Will watch it later.

I saw it in my YouTube feed, but to me it was a bit to long for my taste to watch on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I saw it in my YouTube feed, but to me it was a bit to long for my taste to watch on my computer.
    It was worth the watch, a big chunk is concert footage from the 2010 lineup playing the whole of the first album (minus Mental Medication).

Well, to me you are one of the very few MEGA IMPORTANT engineers ever, due to this and some other albums. So, for what is worth, my appreciation is TOTAL

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    Well, to me you are one of the very few MEGA IMPORTANT engineers ever, due to this and some other albums. So, for what is worth, my appreciation is TOTAL

Visit https://www.stephentayler.com/

The album sounds amazing - as do your remixes for the Camel box (which I received this morning and am beginning to explore).
    I understand, from interviews with John W and Bill B, that all instruments were recorded separately ?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    It was worth the watch, a big chunk is concert footage from the 2010 lineup playing the whole of the first album (minus Mental Medication).
    Actually I think both footages from concerts from 2010 and 2013 were used (in the one Wetton has no beard and Machacek no glasses). In the latter Mental Medication was played, plus the whole second album.
    Note that the sound-quality of both concerts is a lot better than the DVD's Jobson released (Live In Tokyo and Curtain Call).

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I understand, from interviews with John W and Bill B, that all instruments were recorded separately ?
    In an interview with Muziekkrant OOR (Dutch magazine) from May 1978 Bruford says about the strange way of recording the album:

"Yes, the engineer thought we had become crazy. We recorded the drums first and when that was recorded good we went on with the bass-guitar and so on."

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    "Yes, the engineer thought we had become crazy. We recorded the drums first and when that was recorded good we went on with the bass-guitar and so on."
    Interesting. I read once that for Rumours, Fleetwood Mac recorded the full band but then kept only the drums and redid each other part individually.

Pretty cool, U.K. is one of my favorite albums.
    I like the Zappa information in addition.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Actually I think both footages from concerts from 2010 and 2013 were used (in the one Wetton has no beard and Machacek no glasses). In the latter Mental Medication was played, plus the whole second album.
    Note that the sound-quality of both concerts is a lot better than the DVD's Jobson released (Live In Tokyo and Curtain Call).
    You mean he put out things that sounded even worse than that?

Thank you for your excellent work!!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Interesting. I read once that for Rumours, Fleetwood Mac recorded the full band but then kept only the drums and redid each other part individually.
    I believe that was actually quite standard practice in those days. Steely Dan did that as well, their main focus was always to first get a really good drum track and then build the rest around it.