Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Beatles Song - Now and Then

New Beatles Song - Now and Then

The "new" Beatles song was just released? What do you think?

Now and Then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4

Supposedly it was worked on originally back in 1995 when they also did these two:

Real Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7krBKzmVI

Free As A Bird
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODIvONHPqpk

In my opinion those last 2 sound like evolved Beatles songs. Now and Then just doesn't ring true to my ears. I can't pinpoint why, but it just sounds over produced. The simple melody and lyrics that made them great seems a bit over washed to me on this last one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I can't complain~ it sounds fine to my ears. Honestly, I didn't know there was other material being reworked besides Real Love and Free As a Bird.

I rather enjoyed it. Not sounding like ELO is a plus.

It's not bad. It's amazing how they were able to extract John's voice so clearly. I'd like them to revisit "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" with that technology.

I suspect people will be underwhelmed. John's songs were unfinished and didn't get the benefit of his own studio development.

I still think "Real Love" is the better composition of the three and continue to be perplexed about why that wasn't the first release. It's more Beatlesque than "Free as a Bird."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The B side is Love Me Do, which I've seen described as a new mix and a new master, not sure which is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The B side is Love Me Do, which I've seen described as a new mix and a new master, not sure which is accurate.
    Thus completing the circle. Such a joy to hear a new song with Paul and John singing together. I like this much more than either of the Anthology project "new" songs.

Here is a short film they put out yesterday giving the history of the song:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's a remix into stereo, presumably using Peter Jackson's technology. This is the version with Ringo on drums, the master tapes of which are long lost, so this must be ultimately sourced from a (mono) vinyl 45, as are all previous reissues of this version.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I enjoyed the new song. They did a good job.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I enjoyed the new song. They did a good job.
    I agree. End of story for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I can't complain~ it sounds fine to my ears. Honestly, I didn't know there was other material being reworked besides Real Love and Free As a Bird.
    Same here. None of them sound like real Beatles songs to me but especially not this latest (last?) one. All imo of course.

I like it.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think it’s excellent. I’ve had the demo on a bootleg since the 90s, but I never thought we would get to hear a Beatles version because of the obvious technical limitations of the source that so frustrated George Harrison back in the day. I’m glad McCartney had the patience to wait for the technology to catch up and the perseverance to see it through. I hope they go back and redo the Lennon vocals on “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love” to bring them up to the same standard.

The implications for what could be done with this technology for archival recordings are exciting to me. Imagine a pristine remixed Yes QPR release. Imagine one of those warbly audience recordings from the Topographic tour sounding like a champ. Think of all of the old recordings, blues, jazz etc., that only exist on 78s and how the sound can be improved. It could be like Robert Johnson is in the living room with you.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

^We've come a long way from taking an hour to download Aerosmith's Head First 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here is a short film they put out yesterday giving the history of the song:

Really well made short documentary...touching to see all 4 again...and having Sean's comments is an extra bonus
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    ^We've come a long way from taking an hour to download Aerosmith's Head First 30 years ago.
    29 years (1994). Interesting that it was the first download by a major band.

Love the new song... even more so after each listen. The Peter Jackson video of the single just dropped and its funny, campy, and poignant. I felt like I just cut a ton of glass onions.

Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

They did a great job of pulling out and enhancing Lennon's vocal. The song is a mediocre Beatles tune IMHO. I thought the other 2 were more "Beatley".

I like it a lot. No, it's not top-shelf Beatles but surely no one was expecting that. I'll be playing it a lot over the next couple weeks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

OK, the video make it all worthwhile!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    OK, the video make it all worthwhile!
    Fun to see Ringo hamming it up at the microphone.

Ember
    I was lukewarm on it when I heard it earlier today. Seeing the video changes everything. For one thing, it somewhat mitigates my worries over the power of AI tools to displace reality. Not that they can’t, and not that it isn’t scary, but here’s proof that these powers can also be used for good!
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

The video is really great. I expected no less.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Agree, about the video being fantastic. The song is kind of typical of what Lennon was doing during the "Double Fantasy" period. Pleasent enough, but nothing earth shattering.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, about the video being fantastic. The song is kind of typical of what Lennon was doing during the "Double Fantasy" period. Pleasent enough, but nothing earth shattering.
    I’m seeing a lot of people complaining about “Free as a Bird” and “Real Love” not being included on the expanded Blue Album along with “Now and Then.” The thing is, where would you put them? The obvious thing would be to put them all at the end, but they’re just too similar to sit together. Three crooning ballads from John in a row would be too much, and very un-Beatles-like programming. (And mixing them into the running order would be ridiculous.) At least on Double Fantasy there were Yoko’s songs to break things up.