Thread: SOLEIL ZEUHL 2nd festival in Paris, 2024

SOLEIL ZEUHL 2nd festival in Paris, 2024

A rare opportunity to see these 4 bands (VAK, ONE SHOT, RHUN, FREE HUMAN ZOO) perform live! Same nice venue as in 2013, same number of bands but this time spread over 2 nights, allowing each band to play a bit longer. The trip to Paris might be too long/costy for our overseas supporters, but maybe if combined with holidays...
    Is anyone feeling tempted here? If so, there's still a lot of time ahead (5 months) for organizing the stay. Thanks for spreading the word around!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Super exciting, loved the first festival, not going to be able to make this one. I'm certainly tempted! First time round it connected with RIO so made the trip affordable. Any streaming options?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Alain sent me an e-mail two weeks ago about this event.

I certainly plan on being there
    Last edited by Trane; 02-28-2024 at 08:27 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Reminder for the SZ festival of next week in Paris-Belleville.

Alain Lebon has managed more than what's shown on the poster in the OP.

It will be in the same venue as in Sept 2014: Le Zèbre

Wednesday March 6 - Caillou
    Thursday March 7 - VAK & One Shot
    Friday March 8 - RUHN & FREE HUMAN ZOO

Also Ghost Rhythms in a different place on Saturday March 9

Le Zèbre is relatively close (walking distance) from the amazing record shop Souffle Continu on Rue Gerbier (the Père Lachaise cemetery main entrance is 150 m away - if you want to pop Jimbo an hello)

Professionally a very busy week for me, so I will be at the two double headers, but not the other two concerts.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Have Fun! I'm very jealous, wish I could make it. I think Joe Paradiso from Boston will be there so say hi to him. Can't remember if Debi said she was going or not.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ ^ ^ ^

have fun. Looks fabulously great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I will make a report/review with possible photos.

Debi, I will certainly spot if she's around, but not sure I remember who Joe is, though.

Hope to see some of you guys ! I will attend the friday one and will play the saturday's gig. Xavier (Ghost Rhythms)
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

Debi (and her crowd, but no Elaine) & Joe were all there last night, and quite a few familiar daces (including Aymeric), but a few notable absentees.

I suggested they (Debi) do avisit at Souffle Continu during the day, while waiting for tonight's show. Great weather in Paris too.

Vak's show was excellent and the sound was great, but you can see they lack experience (the keyboardist was constantly readjusting his top kb, as it was moving on the stand. Aurelie (singer & stuff) was very good upfront (well right stage and dancing manically. Barely played KB, so we can say they're a musical trio + singer. Their car has a problem (water leak), but apparently they're here witht the organisation for the duration of the festival.

One Shot was a notch up (as they are seasonned veterans), but played a tad louder (maybe too much) and very much (IMHO) up in your face (too frontal attack for me anymore). Almost metalzeuhl, one could invent.
    First time I saw them without McGaw
    Bussonet & Borghi on the right stage

Will be there tonight for FHZ and Rhùn ! See you there ! Xavier (Ghost Rhythms)
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

see you tonight, then

yesterday in Belleville, there was two thoughts about Frippy:

one
    the scene becoming extinct (or ceased to exist)

rwo
    we were encouraged to take as many pictures or film as much as we liked and share them

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    see you tonight, then

yesterday in Belleville, there was two thoughts about Frippy:

one
    the scene becoming extinct (or ceased to exist)

rwo
    we were encouraged to take as many pictures or film as much as we liked and share them
    What is "frippy" ?

Well Rhùn was great and FHZ certainly delivered the best gig I've seen from them so far. It's great meeting so much people involved in the RIO/zeuhl scene ! I even met Trane, who told me about his love of accordion. Accordion is all its life ! The man was unstoppable about this. He wants accordion everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    What is "frippy" ?
    A cross between a KC guitarist and a TV series kangaroo, apparently.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Well Rhùn was great and FHZ certainly delivered the best gig I've seen from them so far. It's great meeting so much people involved in the RIO/zeuhl scene ! I even met Trane, who told me about his love of accordion. Accordion is all its life ! The man was unstoppable about this. He wants accordion everywhere.

First time seeing FHZ, despite having bought their albums +/- at release time.

I think I saw my concert of the year, and that was before Klaus Blazquizz showed up for an amazing encore

as for accordion,

The studio versions:

Only Belgians do it so well.vainqueur.gif
    (I know, Marcel is not one)

Last edited by Trane; 03-09-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    A cross between a KC guitarist and a TV series kangaroo, apparently.

we also had Clarence the lion somewhere down those years for when Frippy was a little more moody, but Frippary sounds less legit.

And Flippy is too nice for His Robertness Attachment 17506

Vak's show was excellent and the sound was great, but you can see they lack experience (the keyboardist was constantly readjusting his top kb, as it was moving on the stand. Aurelie (singer & stuff) was very good upfront (well right stage and dancing manically. Barely played KB, so we can say they're a musical trio + singer. Their car has a problem (water leak), but apparently they're here witht the organisation for the duration of the festival.

One Shot was a notch up (as they are seasonned veterans), but played a tad louder (maybe too much) and very much (IMHO) up in your face (too frontal attack for me anymore). Almost metalzeuhl, one could invent.
    I would have loved to have seen Vak. Did they mention anything about a new album coming? One Shot almost metal? You're going soft, Trane-er.

Neil

Vak played a new piece at the end of their set. Not another monstrous 30-minute epic, under 10 I would say. So they’re definitely working on new music.

Aurélie told me not to expect anything this year

For that matter, they (VAK) sold their last copies of their first album (aevidivea) at the gig and no plan to reissue

Correct on every count, Xavier!

All of the Soleil Zeuhl festival bands performed brilliantly, and it was well worth the trip over to Paris for the week. Just returned to my hotel from Polynotes where I finally had the opportunity to see an "in person" (and up-close!) performance by Ghost Rhythms, which was absolutely superb! Looking forward to your upcoming Cuneiform album release.

I also think Trane was very disappointed to miss tonight's show, as the accordion is his special love. He told me so (I think...)

Debi Byrd
    Last edited by Pook1973; 03-09-2024 at 07:35 PM.

Debi (and her crowd, but no Elaine) & Joe were all there last night, and quite a few familiar daces (including Aymeric), but a few notable absentees.

I suggested they (Debi) do avisit at Souffle Continu during the day, while waiting for tonight's show. Great weather in Paris too.

Great seeing you, again, Trane/Hugues! I was heartened to see so many familiar faces from past festival years, it was almost as though time had stood still. The music and community gathering were exactly what I needed, and I really hate to have to leave.

Sadly, I never made it over to Souffle Continu today, as the great weather turned rainy, and my jetlag was still very much with me. Nevertheless, I have it on my list for the next visit, which hopefully won't be too long!
    Last edited by Pook1973; 03-09-2024 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soleilzeuhl View Post
    A rare opportunity to see these 4 bands (VAK, ONE SHOT, RHUN, FREE HUMAN ZOO) perform live! Same nice venue as in 2013, same number of bands but this time spread over 2 nights, allowing each band to play a bit longer. The trip to Paris might be too long/costy for our overseas supporters, but maybe if combined with holidays...
    Is anyone feeling tempted here? If so, there's still a lot of time ahead (5 months) for organizing the stay. Thanks for spreading the word around!

Alain ~

Bravo!! One hundred (at least!) hats off to you for an absolutely outstanding Soleil Zeuhl festival! All of the bands were mind-blowingly superb, and a grateful audience got everything they had hoped for, and more. Greatly appreciate all the hard work (and considerable expense) that went into making the 2024 Soleil Zeuhl festival a rousing success.

On to The Next One! (We're very willing to wait... )

With heartfelt gratitude,

Debi Byrd

As for my love accordian, we have a recent thread about least-preferred musical instruments.

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...cal-instrument

Sorry Xavier. I would've actually liked to be there, but had fairly urgent business up north.
    I still hold Madeleine in very high regards, if that can heal the little bruise I brutally inflicted to your dented heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pook1973 View Post
    Great seeing you, again, Trane/Hugues! I was heartened to see so many familiar faces from past festival years, it was almost as though time had stood still. The music and community gathering were exactly what I needed, and I really hate to have to leave.

Sadly, I never made it over to Souffle Continu today, as the great weather turned rainy, and my jetlag was still very much with me. Nevertheless, I have it on my list for the next visit, which hopefully won't be too long!
    Hey Debi,

Really great to see you again and lovely to see that time has been kind to you.

Yeah, saturday turned out to be very grey as the day progressed and I went northbound, though no rain at all.
    Souffle Continu will wait your next visit, I suppose.

I'm glad I didn't lose your business card (those things tend to escape my travel bags), so I'll keep in touch (as I'm not on social networks).
    Great conversations with Joe and Philippe - though we switched to French as soon as I realized he was from La Belle Province.

=================

It was great to see all of the locals, like Stéphane, Maddi and of course Aymeric (who is not very "local" anymore)

And of course Alain, whom we hope to see sooner than in 10 years for SZ3.

As for my love accordian, we have a recent thread about least-preferred musical instruments.

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...cal-instrument

Sorry Xavier. I would've actually liked to be there, but had fairly urgent business up north.
    I still hold Madeleine in very high regards, if that can heal the little bruise I brutally inflicted to your dented heart.

Hey Debi,

Really great to see you again and lovely to see that time has been kind to you.

Yeah, saturday turned out to be very grey as the day progressed and I went northbound, though no rain at all.
    Souffle Continu will wait your next visit, I suppose.

I'm glad I didn't lose your business card (those things tend to escape my travel bags), so I'll keep in touch (as I'm not on social networks).
    Great conversations with Joe and Philippe - though we switched to French as soon as I realized he was from La Belle Province.

=================

It was great to see all of the locals, like Stéphane, Maddi and of course Aymeric (who is not very "local" anymore)

And of course Alain, whom we hope to see sooner than in 10 years for SZ3.
    Yeah, let's thank Alain ! Trane, no bruises of any kind. Very happy I've met you and put a face on a surname ! And thanks for Madeleine, it's really heartwarming. I plan to reissue it for 2025.
    Debi, what a good surprise to meet and greet you ! You're a lovely person !

Love from Paris