Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ears 2024

^^^^^^
    Re: Your ‘B’ list
    Horse Lords, at least as they we 7-8 years ago, were ASTONISHING!
    sleepyTime are TERRIFIC as is Tomeka’s 4tet.

But this is just ME….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Zapp, I saw the Messthetics with James Brandon Lewis in Toronto, and if you haven't seen them before, they were sensational.

Neil

There is lots of time to digest and sort and decide.
    But, given the target rich environment, there will be a number of times when an audible will be required.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And you will realize you went to the wrong show at least once
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    But, given the target rich environment, there will be a number of times when an audible will be required.
    Mark, did you mean "edible"? Certainly, there will be audibles and visuals that will be subtlely (and even greatly) enhanced by an edible.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Zapp, I saw the Messthetics with James Brandon Lewis in Toronto, and if you haven't seen them before, they were sensational.

Neil
    Actually caught the same lineup with this tour in Chicago. One of the top performances of the year for me. Using your descriptor, yes, a truly sensational show.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Re: Your ‘B’ list
    Horse Lords, at least as they we 7-8 years ago, were ASTONISHING!
    sleepyTime are TERRIFIC as is Tomeka’s 4tet.

But this is just ME….
    I have seen Sleepytime about 5 times between Chicago and NEARfest, as well as a number of the spin offs. I think we wonder whether there will be an update of their sound and presentation. Will the animal farm masks come out of storage?

I have not seen Horse Lords. But they will appear at a mostly standing attendance club near me a week before BE. I usually try to see BE scheduled artists locally to allow seeing others at BE. But I will have to pass on this local show due to the standing requirement. Tomeka's 4tet may also be performing locally around that time as well as some others.

And I haven't stated it elsewhere. This toral lineup is killer. There are 50 sets I would like to see!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    I have seen Sleepytime about 5 times between Chicago and NEARfest, as well as a number of the spin offs. I think we wonder whether there will be an update of their sound and presentation. Will the animal farm masks come out of storage?

I have not seen Horse Lords. But they will appear at a mostly standing attendance club near me a week before BE. I usually try to see BE scheduled artists locally to allow seeing others at BE. But I will have to pass on this local show due to the standing requirement. Tomeka's 4tet may also be performing locally around that time as well as some others.

And I haven't stated it elsewhere. This toral lineup is killer. There are 50 sets I would like to see!

Larry
    well, Horselords are always going to be at a standing venue. Whether it's BE or elsewhere, that's just where they play. I think that they're worth it. And I do NOT like to stand.

ymmv.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    well, Horselords are always going to be at a standing venue. Whether it's BE or elsewhere, that's just where they play. I think that they're worth it. And I do NOT like to stand.

ymmv.
    I agree with your assessment. Horse Lords will likely play either The Standard or the Mill and Mine. If the BE schedule appears before the HL local show, that may show reason enough for me to make that comfort sacrifice and see them here.

Horse Lords just announced a show in Toronto about a week before BE. I'll definitely be at that.

Neil

sampled all the Afrofuturism stuff and here are some of my conclusions:

I think the one’s I really would like to try and make, in no particular order would be:

Tyondai Braxton
    Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe
    Yvette Janine Jackson

… so those 3 definitely. If Braxton is doing anything close to what I saw him do in Chicago a few months ago it would be beyond stellar!

I then would add

Colloboh
    Elsa M’Bala
    KMRU

If I could make all of these I would be happy but…given everything else that's going on I’m somewhat doubtful.

I do have a handle on the AF sound, manifesto and goals and I really like where they are going with it and I think it’s something I would like to follow to some degree so, in that respect I’m glad BE is acting like an intro portal for this stuff.

Really looking forward to making as many of the above as I can!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

KMRU is the one act on the bill that I haven't seen but really want to. I love his stuff and have nearly all of it.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Never been to a US fest.
    Knoxville seems oh so exotic!

Quote Originally Posted by Yehuda Kotton View Post
    Never been to a US fest.
    Knoxville seems oh so exotic!
    Udi and Yehuda are going!!!

YAY!

best
    Michael

Sweet
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Just projecting a little, but we might be able to take over a big restaurant table more than once next year. At least try to heard folks close enough for a "We were There" photo.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Emme Phyzema who was at the last RIO is also coming.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

As a performer or one of us?
    -- Aristotle

One of us
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Our numbers are legion.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Emme Phyzema who was at the last RIO is also coming.
    Here new one caught my ear

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    KMRU is the one act on the bill that I haven't seen but really want to. I love his stuff and have nearly all of it.
    John, what's your favorite KMRU album you would recommend?

best
    Michael

Ms. Byrd will be in attendance as well.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    John, what's your favorite KMRU album you would recommend?

best
    Michael
    Whoops, sorry Michael! Almost missed this....I love just about everything he's done, including his most recent BC addition with my favorite fake musician Abul Mogard. But overall, I think Logue is still my favorite; it just hits me in all the right ways time and again

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I wonder how KMRU translates to a live environment