Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Album Cover To Stare At

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Your Favorite Album Cover To Stare At

What’s your favorite album cover to stare at when tripping balls, or that just makes you feel like you are? I thought of asking when reminded of this favorite, which I’ve stared at in the past and think is a pretty nifty one:

Last edited by JKL2000; 09-11-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Too stoned to include the pic?
    Nope, I had to switch to Tapatalk to add the image. Hard to explain.

Fun thread idea. And one that I really don't think we have ever done before.

Mine is an odd one. But as a teen, I could listen to one of the two records, sometimes both, while staring at nothing more than the different pictures on this cover.

travels.jpg

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Rick Griffin was mind blowing and a big favorite. Tried not to rip him off too much w/ this drawing for Skin Yard Skin Yard PS.jpg
    This cover held up pretty well as something to stare at, (best w/the Regal Zonophone LP photo while White Light is on) juniorseyes_677521252518448.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought of asking when reminded of this favorite, which I’ve stared at in the past and think is a pretty nifty one
    Jed, Rick Griffin's AoxomoxoA is generally regarded as one of the untouchable masterpieces of 60s psychedelic "motive artworks" (i.e. with intent of presenting contents as in music/literature/film posters etc.). According to rumour, the original print of this was handed down along with other remnants of Griffin's portfolio to Stanley Mouse, who also belonged to the original S.F. "acid artist's collective" finding much of their revenue through commissions with impressarios like Chet Helms or Bill Graham or in subculture street mags like Oz (in S.F.) and indeed the legendary Village Voice (N.Y.), though in time eventually scoring with record labels and/or band agents/managements. Mouse, along with fellow S.F. paint-designer Alton Kelley, made several covers for albums by Journey, Steve Miller Band, Styx and many more.

Anyway, and again according to tale (i.e. one art historian Mette Line Pedersen at the University of Agder in Kristiansand, who administers the donation legacy of Norwegian physician/art dealer Reidar Wennesland b. 1908 d. 1985, the latter initially from Kristiansand but having resided most of his adult life in Frisco as collector of beat- and psychedelic visuals) - Mouse has been offered immense sums of money for that print, but apparently never relinquished even the tiniest interest in parting with it. Together with the s/t Quicksilver Messenger Service cover from 1968, this is Griffin's finest achievement.

A couple of other remarkable S.F. album covers of the period are George Hunter's layouts for It's a Beautiful Day (debut) and - again - the QMS's Happy Trails, both of which are multi award winning artworks.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Jed, Rick Griffin's AoxomoxoA is generally regarded as one of the untouchable masterpieces of 60s psychedelic "motive artworks" (i.e. with intent of presenting contents as in music/literature/film posters etc.). According to rumour, the original print of this was handed down along with other remnants of Griffin's portfolio to Stanley Mouse, who also belonged to the original S.F. "acid artist's collective" finding much of their revenue through commissions with impresarios like Chet Helms or Bill Graham or in subculture street mags like Oz (in S.F.) and indeed the legendary Village Voice (N.Y.), though in time eventually scoring with record labels and/or band agents/managements. Mouse, along with fellow S.F. paint-designer Alton Kelley, made several covers for albums by Journey, Steve Miller Band, Styx and many more.

Anyway, and again according to tale (i.e. one art historian Mette Line Pedersen at the University of Agder in Kristiansand, who administers the donation legacy of Norwegian physician/art dealer Reidar Wennesland b. 1908 d. 1985, the latter initially from Kristiansand but having resided most of his adult life in Frisco as collector of beat- and psychedelic visuals) - Mouse has been offered immense sums of money for that print, but apparently never relinquished even the tiniest interest in parting with it. Together with the s/t Quicksilver Messenger Service cover from 1968, this is Griffin's finest achievement.

A couple of other remarkable S.F. album covers of the period are George Hunter's layouts for It's a Beautiful Day (debut) and - again - the QMS's Happy Trails, both of which are multi award winning artworks.
    Thanks, interesting! I wonder where that print is now. It would be cool to see. AoxomoxoA has always been one of my favorites, and the palindrome title is great too, especially in Griffin's hands. It seems like a launching point for his painting.

I was not very familiar with the Happy Trails cover - nice. Looking forward to seeing your "entry" for this thread. Doesn't need to be All-Time Favorite, just *A* favorite.

Triscuits, the Fripp & Eno cover is a great one for staring at! Nice outfit, Mr. Fripp.

I can't decide between the Beatles White Album and Spinal Tap Smell the Glove (all black album cover).

Aoxomoxa is a great choice. Some others that come to mind are Thick as a Brick, Relayer, Remember the Future, Script for a Jester's Tear, and Images at Twilight (Saga). No doubt I'll think of 100 more after I post this.

I enjoy album covers inspired by surrealist art, like this one f.ex.:

BVC.jpg

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    77_1.jpg

This is an obvious one but I have a huge seriograpth (A lithograph is made on a stone plate, whereas a serigraph is created using a silkscreen printing process) in my living room - looks like a painting! I've had hours and hours of enjoyment with this image.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

5fbf90f8bc2f3e2bd11f67a9efada66bf4eacaf4.jpg
    live-1971.jpg
    Mati Klarwein covers are among my favorites
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
    Audience - The House on the Hill (and many of the Hipgnosis covers for that matter)
    The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin (nothing special, but I could stare at those Nudie suits for a long time, and also wonder why Chris Hillman looks so stiff)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Mati Klarwein's Abraxas was a favorite for a long time. I even had a poster from it, so I could stare at even on a larger scale

I also love covers like the first albums from Marillion where there's so much to discover.

I "remember" staring at this one for a couple hours one night long, long ago:

TRWizStar.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Here's my entry (please note I don't do tripping balls) 910zMF+3+ML._SL1500_.jpg
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Not necessarily the "cover", but the inner sleeve gatefold of Eat A Peach was always an old fav of mine back in tha day.

Actually from the Incredible String Band I prefer this inside gatefold artwork
    P1260286.jpg
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

You know it was
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I always liked this one:

But especially the full size poster of it:
    http://papabear.com/product/bpmgraphics/bpmwallp3.jpg
    So many details. My favorite part is the carton of interchangeable Crafties.

The album itself isn't really my cup of tea for the most part, though.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-12-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    5fbf90f8bc2f3e2bd11f67a9efada66bf4eacaf4.jpg
    live-1971.jpg
    Mati Klarwein covers are among my favorites
    The bottom art looks like AI art. Weird.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    The bottom art looks like AI art. Weird.
    Miles Davis : Live Evil 2LP pré AI but then you never know with time travel,worm holes etc
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Schick_20_electric_shaver_1953_ad.jpg