Thread: Facebook Progrsessive Rock group

Facebook Progrsessive Rock group

Does anyone else here play on Facebook and belong to the "Progressive Rock" group? I'm a lurker there, primarily because anytime I posted anything it got dismissed and deleted by the hard headed over zelous moderator of that group. His definition of what is "prog" won't let any discussion happen that doesn't meet his view. Wierd, considering that "prog" was and is definitely a free range thing that spans and overlaps many different genre's and defies categorization IMO.

So, I've joined a Jazz Rock Fusion group there and am looking for others that are open to discussion. What else do you recommend?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

If it's the group I'm thinking of, it's run by former PE member, JIF. It's like he finally was able to create his own little fiefdom where he can rule over others.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

So, I've joined a Jazz Rock Fusion group there and am looking for others that are open to discussion. What else do you recommend?
    If you want to join a nice jazz/fusion group check out Fuzezone. Not a lot of people and not heavily traveled.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If it's the group I'm thinking of, it's run by former PE member, JIF. It's like he finally was able to create his own little fiefdom where he can rule over others.
    He didn't even do that. 2 other guys did and were admins. They made JIF the only mod,and then bailed (sorry, Scott) later on, leaving it as JIF's somewhat less than peaceable kingdom.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There's more than one progressive rock FB group. I posted a couple of "proggish" rock albums (and listed them as such). One was Moontan by Golden Earring, the other was Desperado by the Eagles. They was yanked and I was issued a 'warning'. Someone posted Thomas Dolby's Aliens Ate My Buick (an album I love BTW) and it stayed. While admitted the Eagles o e might be a stretch its still a concept album, I asked why I had two posts taken down while the Thomas Dolby stayed up, I was given a public warning for dismissal if I persisted. This was all before I knew it was JIF. It's his way or the highway. He must be living a dream.

So, what other Facebook prog groups do you like?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Does anyone else here play on Facebook and belong to the "Progressive Rock" group? I'm a lurker there, primarily because anytime I posted anything it got dismissed and deleted by the hard headed over zelous moderator of that group. His definition of what is "prog" won't let any discussion happen that doesn't meet his view. Wierd, considering that "prog" was and is definitely a free range thing that spans and overlaps many different genre's and defies categorization IMO.
    The home page of that group kind of sets the tone.

Trouble with most Facebook groups is that you get little more than a picture of a favourite band/artist accompanied by a single word saying how wonderful they are. All except The Ballad Tree folk music group. Here you get dissertation length diatribes and vehement discussion.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Trouble with most Facebook groups is that you get little more than a picture of a favourite band/artist accompanied by a single word saying how wonderful they are. All except The Ballad Tree folk music group. Here you get dissertation length diatribes and vehement discussion.
    There's a fusion group I joined and it's the same thing. Somebody posts a pic of Jaco Pastorious or John McLaughlin daily, most of the time with no caption. When you do make a post about a particular group or album and try to drum up a discussion it might get a few likes but that's it.

Trouble with most Facebook groups is that you get little more than a picture of a favourite band/artist accompanied by a single word saying how wonderful they are.
    This has definitely been my experience. I'm in the "Prog Collectors" group and there's largely very little discussion. I stick around because it's been a source to find out about albums I missed, but generally I don't find it that interesting. I somehow wound up in two Gentle Giant groups as well, and it's a similar story there. Occasionally someone posts something interesting, but there's really not a lot to say about the band anymore, so there's very little actual discussion.

I have to say, perusing that "Progressive Rock" group, there does seem to be a lot of discussion, or at least a lot of commenting on the posts. The focus there does appear to be largely on the bigger name 70s bands. I see a few posts going a bit deeper, but I'd agree with the OP that the orientation is pretty narrow. Personally, I don't see that as a problem. I'm not a "big tent" kind of guy, and I sort of like focusing more on music that has some more substantial connection to the music made by those big name groups in the 70s. I understand that's not "progressive" in spirit, but for better or worse, my musical tastes lean toward a narrower definition of "Progressive Rock" and I like getting past the whole "what is Prog" nonsense that ultimately just generates arguments, and also not having to scroll through a bunch of stuff that doesn't really interest me. But I can see why that might not be up everyone's alley, and I think the right approach is to look for alternatives and just let that group be what it is. With 141,000+ members, they must be doing something right.

All except The Ballad Tree folk music group. Here you get dissertation length diatribes and vehement discussion.
    See, it's not just us Proggers.

Bill

So, what other Facebook prog groups do you like?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/prog...ibextid=NSMWBT

Here's one I found that seems to lean towards prog metal. I'm not crazy about it. Actually the one JIF lords over isn't terrible except just like some message boards they're very Big-5 oriented. And there's a few poster that post pics of an album they're listening in front of their godawful expensive turntables, with no discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    There's a fusion group I joined and it's the same thing. Somebody posts a pic of Jaco Pastorious or John McLaughlin daily, most of the time with no caption. When you do make a post about a particular group or album and try to drum up a discussion it might get a few likes but that's it.
    I am in that group. People post the same albums over and over and over again.
    When you post a new artist that just released an album. You don’t get much traction. While 50 year old albums are great. We are living now an those albums are a basis bedrock of our musical interests. Don’t think anyone in that group doesn’t know the albums posted daily.

Arrgh. I was afraid this is what I would find posting this question. I was really hoping to discover some FB group that enjoy more esoteric prog discussion. I have no problem with someone saying parts of Sargeant Peppers is proggy, but I also want to hear people talk about Kotebel and other (non Rush) reklated prog. The fanboys for (what I consider) mediocre bands is unrelenting and unnerving there.

Arrgh. I was afraid this is what I would find posting this question. I was really hoping to discover some FB group that enjoy more esoteric prog discussion. I have no problem with someone saying parts of Sargeant Peppers is proggy, but I also want to hear people talk about Kotebel and other (non Rush) reklated prog. The fanboys for (what I consider) mediocre bands is unrelenting and unnerving there.
    I strongly doubt you'd have any issues posting on the Progressive Rock FB site about Kotebel. You might not get a lot of responses, because as you correctly point out, the big name bands tend to predominate. However, I did see a couple of threads about lesser known bands. They tended to be more of a "name check" versus actual discussion, but in my experience, that's the nature of FB. Sounds like some of the Fusion threads are similar. But you wouldn't get slapped for posting about a band like Kotebel.

I have to say, for what you want, I'm not sure you can do better than the site on which you've posted this message, which is still the richest and most diverse discussion group related to "Prog Rock" that I've ever encountered. Good luck finding what Progressive Ears has on FB. I don't believe it exists, and if it does, please let me know so I can join and ruin it for everybody.

Bill

The worst Facebook group I joined was the David Bowie News group - here you get a picture of him with 'gorgeous', 'so handsome' etc.. Anyone want to talk about his Berlin influences? Nah....
    I normally point out that his suit is hideous or something

One thing that makes FB prohibitive for deeper discussion is the way the algorithm sorts your feed. It mixes your group interests with your friends and ads. And unless you are scrolling forever, FB "forgets" older content after a while. So unless there is some impassioned discussion (aka an argument) with lots of activity and hundreds of responses, it will likely sink to oblivion in terms of you "seeing it" in short order. Even the groups themselves have a default setting that makes it difficult to find older content.

I belong to a few Prog groups on FB, but I really just lurk because it is exactly what others have stated. And the PE FB group is just a receptacle for advertisements (as are some other groups I have seen).

From my experience, I think the only type of prog group that has a shot of being helpful/meaningful on a social media site like FB is one that showcases new releases only (though it would likely turn into a self-promotion-a-thon unless it was moderated). At least, in that case, you're being informed of something new you might be interested in, otherwise it's just a lot of pictures, lists, and brief discussion "in the moment".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And the PE FB group is just a receptacle for advertisements (as are some other groups I have seen).

(though it would likely turn into a self-promotion-a-thon unless it was moderated).
    Very true. This is why I keep Prog Collectors free of advertisements and promos, stupid memes (that show up in every other group anyway) and even YouTube videos, because without that kind of moderation, every group out there quickly becomes a wasteland of these things. It's too easy to share them with one click, so everybody does... but nobody watches them. Our group is a clear stream of purely collection-based posts and that's what keeps people coming back. You get what you came for, not a bunch of nonsense to scroll through, or endless 'What's your favourite Rush song' or 'Which Marillion era do you like better' garbage. I disagree with Bill's earlier assessment that there isn't much discussion (as I often disagree with his numerous criticisms ) - it's there, but over the 8 years we've been active, even the more obscure prog albums and $3,000 OG LPs have been seen numerous times, so it may not be to the level it used to. But any questions or discussions anyone does start are always answered and reciprocated. Some of the obsessive/competitive collectors do sometimes treat it like a baseball card collection: 'Got it, got it, got it, need it, got it...' but I have learned more in Prog Collectors than anywhere on the net, including our beloved PE. At least, from a physical media collection standpoint, and that's my hobby, so it's been an invaluable tool in my and others' discoveries in the wide world of prog and branching off into folk and jazz (we don't tend to get too strict with what's allowed, as the babies of the world will sob about it and then I have to remove their posts. I've had death threats from two people already as it is. My rule is: Use your head. Don't post your Dolly Parton or Motley Crue records and you should be fine.)

Here are the ten most recent posts in the group, for an example of the kind of photos people post:

Ton Scherpenzeel - Le Carnaval Des Animaux (cassette)
    Mona Lisa - Le Petit Violon De Mr Grégoire (LP, CD, and cassette)
    'Saturday morning 4-pack' : Gentle Giant, Wobbler , Decameron, Yes (CDs)
    The Soft Machine debut (LP)
    Turkey (LP)
    Soen - Memorial (CD)
    Jethro Tull - Broadsword (new Monster box set) (CD/DVD)
    Sigur Rós - átta (LP)
    Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe (LP. Brazilian pressing)
    Pekka Pohjola - The Mathematician's Air Display (LP and CD)

When I look at some of the other prog-based groups occasionally, I just can't believe the same people want to say the same things over and over and over again. 'Close to the Edge is the best Yes album' and 'Invisible Touch sounds like a Phil Collins solo album'? You can keep those discussions, I'll take our group, thanks very much. And the number of discoveries people have made (and wallets opened! ) and the number of positive messages I've received over the years make any upturned nose comments irrelevant. We're a 5,000-strong community, many of whom have been there since almost the beginning. It won't be for everyone, but what is?

Edit: in the time it took me to write this, there are three more posts. Ok, so one of them is the Broadsword box again (people are excited, I get it) and the other two are 'Saturday morning six pack - Banco, Yes, Todd Rundgren, Gong, Goblin, PFM' and Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues, Sakre - Bitzitako Gauzak, and Rosseau - Retreat. Meanwhile in JIF's prog rock group, someone has posted that Supper's Ready is the greatest song of all time, and there are 132 responses. Bigger is not better in my view.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

FB is a giant repository for short attention spans and attention whoring. I like who I like but don't need to see a thousand different pics of the same four or five guys.

Lorne, I haven't posted in your group in a long time, but I love what you do. And I still scroll through it pretty regularly. I love the fact that you see all kinds of different artist names pop up-not just the usual suspects-and the discussions are almost always friendly. I've even discovered a few artists thanks to the contributors and I've probably introduced others to a few as well. It's also fun seeing other collectors' sound systems. Thanks for keeping Prog Collectors going.

Of course no Facebook group would be complete without the bootleg t-shirts. Just say 'yes' in the comments....

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Lorne, I haven't posted in your group in a long time, but I love what you do. And I still scroll through it pretty regularly. I love the fact that you see all kinds of different artist names pop up-not just the usual suspects-and the discussions are almost always friendly. I've even discovered a few artists thanks to the contributors and I've probably introduced others to a few as well. It's also fun seeing other collectors' sound systems. Thanks for keeping Prog Collectors going.
    Glad to hear it! Cheers!

Of course no Facebook group would be complete without the bootleg t-shirts. Just say 'yes' in the comments....
    I know what you mean. Brand new accounts that join that day and immediately post 'If you are a big Frank Zappa fan, say yes in the comments!' - in a Zappa group - and naturally a ton of naive people fall for it... I saw one the other day in the 'Planet Gong' group where some scammer posted 'If you love Planet, tell us where you are from!' and once enough people had answered, the graphic was changed to the standard bootleg t-shirt scam. This is what happens when anyone is allowed to join a group and post right away, and it's precisely the kind of thing you don't find in our group, because I have zero tolerance for that kind of bullshit.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ok, Prog Collectors. I will give it a try.