Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moon Safari - It's official! Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released on December 8 2023

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    The "sugar prog" reference is a bit amusing sometimes but a bit tiresome from those narrow mined comments above...
    Normally, I just understand those comments to mean music that sounds pretty which Moon Safari's does.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

A lot of people dig this band, so I decided to give it a try and listened to the Emma, Come On song. Not trying to be narrow minded, but I actually feel like I need a trip to the dentist now, this song is so sugary sweet! And I'm not being critical, that is just what I hear. The production is slick (way too slick for me), and they are skilled. If others dig it, that's great, but to me, this song makes Asia's first album look like Magma...so, not for me. And that's fine. I'm sure a lot of people don't care for some of the music that I listen to. All good.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    A lot of people dig this band, so I decided to give it a try and listened to the Emma, Come On song. Not trying to be narrow minded, but I actually feel like I need a trip to the dentist now, this song is so sugary sweet! And I'm not being critical, that is just what I hear. The production is slick (way too slick for me), and they are skilled. If others dig it, that's great, but to me, this song makes Asia's first album look like Magma...so, not for me. And that's fine. I'm sure a lot of people don't care for some of the music that I listen to. All good.

Neil
    Yep, I really have to skip Emma Come On and I'm struggling with the album being way too long overall. I loved MS at first when I discovered the first two albums and then I thought Lovers End was maybe their best but now I've just had enough sadly.

The best album of the year according to Prog Report's panel.

This album is in very heavy rotation for me. The longer epic "Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse" has really clicked now. Extremely well crafted piece of music.

Tomas Bodin had some really nice words to say about the album:
    I rarely speak about progressive rock and new releases specifically.

Now however I really need to stress the importance of this album.

I´m listening to "Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse" (Moonsafari) and firstly it struck me how well thought and maturely brilliant the composition is. And that is just one song!

Secondly, how well the guys in the band are standing the ground in relation to previous success and demands from an ongrowing fanbase.

You do recognize the vibe from yesteryears but with a vibrant curiosity of "I´m not fucking ready, let us discover more"

Honestly , I´m blown away and humbled by the craftsmanship and performance on this album.
    Really nice sentiment from their mentor! Fun fact - if you watch the DVD Meet The Flower Kings you can occasionally catch a glimpse of some fans sitting in the front holding up some large wooden flowers! That's the Moon Safari guys and it was at this gig they introduced themselves to Tomas and work began on A Doorway to Summer. They borrowed the wooden flowers from a garden on their way to the show - - and returned them afterward!

I'm curious if anyone knows the pros/cons of Moon Safari staying independent and not signing to a label. I mean they sure seem like they belong on InsideOut don't they? I'm sure IO would love to have them. Just wondering if they have been offered and declined. Conversely Big Big Train recently signed with IO after being on their own label for years. Wonder what went into that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'm curious if anyone knows the pros/cons of Moon Safari staying independent and not signing to a label. I mean they sure seem like they belong on InsideOut don't they? I'm sure IO would love to have them. Just wondering if they have been offered and declined. Conversely Big Big Train recently signed with IO after being on their own label for years. Wonder what went into that decision.
    Interesting you say that. I was watching an interview with the lead singer recently and he pretty much said that Inside Out turned them down saying something like 'this is not the future'. They also tried GEP but were told they wouldn't be able to sell anymore than the band sells independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Interesting you say that. I was watching an interview with the lead singer recently and he pretty much said that Inside Out turned them down saying something like 'this is not the future'. They also tried GEP but were told they wouldn't be able to sell anymore than the band sells independently.
    So according to Inside Out, Moon Safari "is not the future" but for some reason "Roine Stolt's The Flower King" is? Pfffffhahahahaha. Double standards much?
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    So according to Inside Out, Moon Safari "is not the future" but for some reason "Roine Stolt's The Flower King" is? Pfffffhahahahaha. Double standards much?
    Well it must come down to sales at the end of the day but I agree it is puzzling that Inside Out are not willing to give them a chance. I suppose Tfk will sell enough but MS have not demonstrated they can sell that many [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    After being burned by ProgRock Records, who can blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    The most recent Roine Stolt's the Flower King output was released in 2018. 6 years is a lifetime ago in terms of the rapidly changing music industry. For that matter, the entire world has significantly changed since then.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Wow I didn't know that. Surprising to me as they seem like a perfect fit. But perhaps 10 years since the last album InsideOut just wasn't sure if the fanbase was still there.

But it seems like they may have miscalculated - a week after the album came out MS posted this:

Great first week, guys! Here we thought the CD was a thing of the past, but vendors are running low all over and we've had to fast track the next run to keep up with demand. Hopefully won't lead to any delays to end customers but we appreciate your patience should that situation arise. Great problem to have! Great fans!

Just gave a listen to Himlabacken Vol. 1 and "Too Young To Say Goodbye" is just an absolutely beautiful song. Melody, harmonies, playing.

Although I admit there is a certain quality in their music that often makes me feel melancholic. Even the upbeat stuff makes me feel that way.
    Last edited by Splicer; 01-07-2024 at 11:31 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Just gave a listen to Himlabacken Vol. 1 and "Too Young To Say Goodbye" is just an absolutely beautiful song. Melody, harmonies, playing.

Although I admit there is a certain quality in their music that often makes me feel melancholic. Even the upbeat stuff makes me feel that way.
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I feel that as well. And yes that opening of "Kids" and then right into "Too Young to Say Goodbye" is so good. "Barfly" is another great overlooked song from that album.