Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moon Safari - It's official! Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released on December 8 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I listened to the song above and loved it right from the start. I've just bought it from Bandcamp, which has their entire discography. Can't wait 'til the album drops!

https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/trac...e-24-bit-audio
    And Bandcamp is the only place I know of where some of their albums are available in Hi-Res.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Second preview track "Emma, Come On"

I should have linked to this version instead - Official Music Video

Petter Sandström
    Emma, Come On (Official Music Video)
    This video was filmed in Tokyo June 2017 by Masa Noda, on the day of what was supposed to be Simon's last show with the band. We hadn't annonced it yet but we knew. Despite that (or maybe because of it) we had a lot of fun, it was a particularly hot day in the city and we ran around for hours in Shibuya just playing, laughing and being kids. The show that night at Tsutaya O-West was also spectacular, clocking in just under three hours it was the longest Moon Safari show to date. We gave it all, probably fueled by the sense that this could be the end.
    Luckily, it was not the end! We're now less than two weeks out from the release of Himlabacken Vol. 2, an album that we long thought was cursed. We must have been pardoned by the gods of Rock 'n' Roll, and whatever happens next with this album it's still a complete success just due to the fact that we managed to finish it.
    Thanks to Yael Ben-Dor for your work editing this and thanks to Mattias Norén ProgArt Media creating the artwork for the single cover.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the logo type they used for the band name. It's cute how the first O is like the Earth I guess, and the second O is the Moon.

Soooo...the album is out!

Listening on Bandcamp, sounds both familiar and different...

In short: ordering it right away!
    Last edited by Azol; 12-07-2023 at 04:52 AM.

An auto-buy for the next Bandcamp binge
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just finished listening and it's exactly what I was expecting and wanted. Give me all the melodies and harmonies!
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

yes I had about 3 listens while on long walks over the last few days. Probably looked quite strange to passersbys as I couldn't keep a huge smile off my face while falling into these songs.

This is fantastic - the poppy catchy songs like "Blood Moon" and "Emma, Come On" have so much going on in them! Pure joy! Pontus' guitar playing is next level. That closing solo on "A Lifetime to Learn How to Love" - . Need a little more time to absorb all of the longer 21 minute epic - that closing section is spine tingling.

I got into Moon Safari from a post from progeezer on here many years ago singing their praises - although I only knew him via this forum I found myself thinking how much he would have loved this album.

serious consideration for album of the year.

Pontus' heavier, more dominant, and intricate lead guitar and occasionally raucous vocals from Simon are departures from form for these guys. In all, the whole album is stellar!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Excellent album. Moon Safari continues to develop their sound. Himlabacken Vol 2 contains some odes to the eighties, very tasty guitar, ever maturing vocal harmonies and a lot of fun! Love the 21 minute epic. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

I'll stick with the first 3 albums I think, I've been listening on Band Camp but my Moon Safari-ometer is reading 'full'.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'll stick with the first 3 albums I think, I've been listening on Band Camp but my Moon Safari-ometer is reading 'full'.
    Surely not!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Surely not!
    Who's Shirley?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    yes I had about 3 listens while on long walks over the last few days. Probably looked quite strange to passersbys as I couldn't keep a huge smile off my face while falling into these songs.

This is fantastic - the poppy catchy songs like "Blood Moon" and "Emma, Come On" have so much going on in them! Pure joy! Pontus' guitar playing is next level. That closing solo on "A Lifetime to Learn How to Love" - . Need a little more time to absorb all of the longer 21 minute epic - that closing section is spine tingling.

I got into Moon Safari from a post from progeezer on here many years ago singing their praises - although I only knew him via this forum I found myself thinking how much he would have loved this album.

serious consideration for album of the year.
    Very cool nod to the Geezer! I truly miss him. I saw Moon Safari in Quebec City - Terra Igconita festival. They were great! All the musicians standing together neat the end of the show singing acapella. So much talent!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-17-2023 at 09:56 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It's good it's a bit heavier than I was expecting

Andy Edwards (Frost*, IQ) interviews Moon Safari lead singer/guitarist Petter Sandström:

... and of course, our old friend Pete Pardo of Sea of Tranquility does a succinct and glowing review...

Ok, I relented. Had another listen and the penny started to drop, I bought a download!

Just started listening to this, and I like the opening track’s tribute to the ‘80s, emulating songs like “Jump” and “Heat of the Moment,” which certainly fits the song’s lyric.

Errr...I've liked nothing they've done heretofore. I gave a chance to all of the acclaim in prior days, and found nothing, but here we are with the same acclaim, so I may have to listen again.

Sugar Prog to me. Being kind.

There was one track with a pretty wailing guitar solo, I didn't note which one it was. There might be more, I didn't quite finish the album yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Errr...I've liked nothing they've done heretofore. I gave a chance to all of the acclaim in prior days, and found nothing, but here we are with the same acclaim, so I may have to listen again.

Sugar Prog to me. Being kind.
    Same. I gave this new one a chance but no... this is not a band for me.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Their music is so sticky sweet it's easy to get an overdose.
    The only album of theirs that I listen to occasionally is Blomljud: there's some beautiful stuff on this (especially those harmony vocals of course) and great playing, but what puts me off is that high-pitched lead synth sound which I hate. If you took that synth away from their music I would be singing their praises like the rest of you guys.
    If there exists an album of theirs without that synth sound, please recommend it (I've only heard Blomljud and Lovers End).
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Pontus' heavier, more dominant, and intricate lead guitar and occasionally raucous vocals from Simon are departures from form for these guys. In all, the whole album is stellar!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Excellent album. Moon Safari continues to develop their sound. Himlabacken Vol 2 contains some odes to the eighties, very tasty guitar, ever maturing vocal harmonies and a lot of fun! Love the 21 minute epic. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
    I agree with the above! More mature sound and improved production and skills! They are still in their niche and are developing it! The "sugar prog" reference is a bit amusing sometimes but a bit tiresome from those narrow mined comments above...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just started listening to this, and I like the opening track’s tribute to the ‘80s, emulating songs like “Jump” and “Heat of the Moment,” which certainly fits the song’s lyric.
    ""We must be crucified
    A harder way than Jesus", the genius made a speech to say
    On a high-class cocktail party
    So the people would know he's there
    "
    Made in Sweden, 1976
    Last edited by hFx; 12-17-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx