Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moon Safari - It's official! Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released on December 8 2023

Moon Safari - It's official! Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released on December 8 2023

This has been one of my most hoped for and anticipated releases for many years now - So great to finally see this

"It took us ten years, for a million different reasons." Moon Safari announce Himlabacken Vol. 2

It's official! Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released on December 8. Here's the tracklist:

1. 198X (Heaven Hill) (3:55)
    2. Between the Devil and Me (10:38)
    3. Emma, Come On (3:19)
    4. A Lifetime to Learn How to Love (8:28)
    5. Beyond the Blue (2:12)
    6. Blood Moon (5:44)
    7. Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse (21:03)
    8. Forever, For You (10:08)
    9. Epilog (3:22)

More details here

371832372_706147854669839_7807395452377376632_n.jpg
    Last edited by SRS; 08-31-2023 at 04:50 PM.

Good news, will be interested to hear it.

I'm glad they're still going......after the Prog Rock Records debacle.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I'm glad they're still going......after the Prog Rock Records debacle.
    What happened?

I mentioned this in the new releases thread but didn't start an official one like this so thank you for doing it. Yes, looking forward to it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What happened?
    Progmatist can probably answer better than I but I know they no longer exist. At some point they became The Record Label which apparently is still active (I just noticed that their website is still online). Anyway, I don't think Moon Safari were actually ever on the PRR label (although I could be wrong) but they were sold by them since I remember seeing them listed on their website.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Excellent news!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Auto buy, as they say.

FINALLY! I've thoroughly enjoyed everything they've released so far. My birthday is the day after the release date, so this will be THE perfect gift to give myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What happened?
    In short, the label ripped off everyone signed to or distributed by it. Before eventually going under. I won't go into too much detail because administrators of this forum closed a thread related to it. For violating the rules of this forum.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

While it has been 10 years since the last release, just a reminder in case anyone missed it, 7 years ago we did get a sort-of really close Moon Safari release with The Syn - Trustworks (2016) album

The Moon Safari guys play all the instruments and are also singing on it (sometimes backing, sometimes lead) It's a fantastic collection of songs, produced by Jonas Reingold.

Check this one out - classic MS section at 3:15

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Auto buy, as they say.
    Ditto for me! Their music is highly enjoyable, melodic and prog at the same time, long awaited!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    While it has been 10 years since the last release, just a reminder in case anyone missed it, 7 years ago we did get a sort-of really close Moon Safari release with The Syn - Trustworks (2016) album

The Moon Safari guys play all the instruments and are also singing on it (sometimes backing, sometimes lead) It's a fantastic collection of songs, produced by Jonas Reingold.

Check this one out - classic MS section at 3:15

I never would have guessed this featured those personnel! They should have called this Jonas Reingold's The Syn, or The Syn featuring Moon Safari and Jonas Reingold. Something to let people know this wasn't some vaguely once Chris Squire-related demo collection or something. Thanks for the info!

Ah, I saw them post about this over on FaceBook...very exciting news. It'll be interesting to see how their sound has matured all these years later.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Excellent news. They're just one of those bands that works for me. The gorgeous melodies and those vocal harmonies.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

It's a drift into an interesting direction. To me it sounds like Moon Safari meets Bon Jovi. Very different from the usual sound, I'd even say the songwriting is a bit inferior to Moon Safari's usual standard. Some parts remind me of 80s cartoon theme songs.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Hmm, I'm pleased they have changed their sound, sounds like 70's / 80's American Prog on a first listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hmm, I'm pleased they have changed their sound, sounds like 70's / 80's American Prog on a first listen.
    Yeah I get that as well - 80's Kansas in some parts. I really like it!! - they said it would be a little heavier sound this time so I wasn't expecting Blomljud II as much as I may want that. Just great to have them back!!

I like it even with the different sound. Still got the harmonies and the melodies so I'm good.

Edit: It still has that hint of Flower Kings in some of the melodies.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The Gettysburg Address was on PRR...and at least one other...the EP?

I love the song; it's exactly what I want to hear from Moon Safari. Beautiful writing and harmonies. The lead vocals are the best I've heard from them, and the little break at around 7 minutes has some beautiful interlocking guitars.

It does sound a bit more "processed" than their earlier releases, though.

I've had the pleasure of seeing them live a couple times and I would love to see them play this tune live. I kinda can't stop listening to it!

EDIT: OK well here's them playing it live

https://youtu.be/7r173TQVZRU?si=zVF1iyRBfs1rLXpB
    Last edited by julioscissors; 10-29-2023 at 02:35 AM.

I'm listening to the lead single again, this time without expecting another extension of Blomljud, and I'm enjoying it much more. I'd say it's a grower. Mainly due to the fact of how much of a mood roller coaster the song is. Nice.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

I listened to the song above and loved it right from the start. I've just bought it from Bandcamp, which has their entire discography. Can't wait 'til the album drops!

https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/trac...e-24-bit-audio