Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Kickstater Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    Not sure why I received mine so early (Feb. 5th) but I can attest that it's completely killer! All of the tracks are great but I think I like El Evil the most.

Was surprised to see Moe! in the gatefold pic but he only appears on one track which is a This Heat cover no less!
    Agreed. El Evil just slays. This entire album is a monster. The production is killer, detailed as fuck, and the writing is exceptional. It's not an "easy" album, even by their standards, it makes you work, but the payoff is huge. Gummy, headphones, lights off....my happy place. It's a journey. I saw these guys in Brooklyn for my bachelor party, one week after NF 2003. Incredible memorirs, bad hangover. Nils wanted me to come up on stage, but Bill put the Kabash on it...I definitely would've knocked over some of Moe's shit

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This entire album is a monster.
    Indeed. "Salamander" is one of their best songs ever, and perhaps unique in making trumpet sound like an absolutely normal instrument for a metal band. And as some have pointed out, the album sounds very unified in spite of being made from odds and ends - half-a-dozen-or-so late-stage tunes written before the band separated, an older orphan track, two Rabbit Rabbit songs, and bits from the score of a surreal movie inspired by Ishi (an American Indian, the last of his tribe, from about a hundred years ago). The one part of the classic SGM sound missing is the slow, grinding, anguished, texture-oriented industrial approach - but even without that, it's excellent.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 03-01-2024 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This entire album is a monster.
    Indeed. "Salamander" is one of their best songs ever, and perhaps unique in making trumpet sound like an absolutely normal instrument for a metal band. And as some have pointed out, the album sounds very unified in spite of being made from odds and ends - half-a-dozen-or-so late-stage tunes written before the band separated, an older orphan track, two Rabbit Rabbit songs, and bits from the score of a surreal movie about Ishi (an American Indian, the last of his tribe, from about a hundred years ago). The one part of the classic SGM sound missing is the slow, grinding, anguished, texture-oriented industrial approach - but even without that, it's excellent.

They made the Best Metal on Bandcamp February 2024 list

https://daily.bandcamp.com/best-meta...-february-2024
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I perceive neither the band nor this new record as "metal". Sure, they use metal elements - but most heavy metal bands couldn't even dream of SGM artistic depth and complexity.

I have in the span of 5 days downloaded the new record from bandcamp, received the double-vinyl from a Greek retailer that I can't understand how he got it in such a low price and so early (I paid 43 euro with postage) and also being gifted this the traditional ultra-expensive way, shipped from US with customs included (this I haven't received yet). It is a masterpiece, on par with anything they have ever released. Silverfish is my early listens favorite, the interplay of piano and forte and the otherwordly texture of noise and voices beneath the song make me shiver. Some fantastic bass work in there too.

Hats off to Las Gorillas Durmiendo en un Museum - lol!

Tried, highly good, just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I perceive neither the band nor this new record as "metal". Sure, they use metal elements - but most heavy metal bands couldn't even dream of SGM artistic depth and complexity.

I have in the span of 5 days downloaded the new record from bandcamp, received the double-vinyl from a Greek retailer that I can't understand how he got it in such a low price and so early (I paid 43 euro with postage) and also being gifted this the traditional ultra-expensive way, shipped from US with customs included (this I haven't received yet). It is a masterpiece, on par with anything they have ever released. Silverfish is my early listens favorite, the interplay of piano and forte and the otherwordly texture of noise and voices beneath the song make me shiver. Some fantastic bass work in there too.

Hats off to Las Gorillas Durmiendo en un Museum - lol!
    Well, they have been called MIO - Metal In Opposition, which is as good a descriptor as any. I think that it would be folly to even vaguely suggest that they are too good to be a metal band...that's like when some used to say that The Exorcist isn't a horror movie...it's too good to be a horror movie. Superior movies, in the genre of horror can, and continue to be made. As do superior metal albums. I agree that it is far from the only element in their toolbox though; 100%.

This album just smokes for me. I find it very listenable, yet quite challenging at the same time, which is no easy thing to pull off. Considering the conditions under which it was made, it holds together extremely well, and as many have suggested, it's as if they never left. Definite album of the year contender for me.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, they have been called MIO - Metal In Opposition, which is as good a descriptor as any. I think that it would be folly to even vaguely suggest that they are too good to be a metal band...that's like when some used to say that The Exorcist isn't a horror movie...it's too good to be a horror movie. Superior movies, in the genre of horror can, and continue to be made. As do superior metal albums. I agree that it is far from the only element in their toolbox though; 100%.

This album just smokes for me. I find it very listenable, yet quite challenging at the same time, which is no easy thing to pull off. Considering the conditions under which it was made, it holds together extremely well, and as many have suggested, it's as if they never left. Definite album of the year contender for me.

Neil
    Nothing could ever be too good to be metal, because metal is the best, at least for me. But come on, this is not heavy metal, and like a third of this album at least has nothing to do with heavy metal, or is remarkably indifferent to the whole genre. I am happy you dig it, though I never doubted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Nothing could ever be too good to be metal, because metal is the best, at least for me. But come on, this is not heavy metal, and like a third of this album at least has nothing to do with heavy metal, or is remarkably indifferent to the whole genre. I am happy you dig it, though I never doubted.
    No, agreed, not heavy metal. And a very special album indeed.

Neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Finally got to see the stupendous SGM having waited 14 years. Absolutely mind blowingly crushingly superb. The support acts didn't show apparently due to some political boycott of the venue. SGM went on early (8.15pm) and played 2 and a half hours with a short intermission. My brain is fried.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Finally got to see the stupendous SGM having waited 14 years. Absolutely mind blowingly crushingly superb. The support acts didn't show apparently due to some political boycott of the venue. SGM went on early (8.15pm) and played 2 and a half hours with a short intermission. My brain is fried.
    Yup. Bad ass shit. Good seeing you again, dude.

Was great to see you Rick.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Shucks, finally lost my last remaining bragging rights on ya, Ian

(Congratulations, sounds like it was fabulous )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

That's about it. And you never saw them before. Wow. To you, it would have been like the impact they made at Nearfest.

SGM aren't - and weren't - really ahead of their time or after their time. Like others of the greatest artists and bands - Gentle Giant, Scott Walker, Richard Thompson, Harry Partch, and other genres-unto-themselves come to mind - they were always sideways to their time, at right angles to it. They're a sort of musical Road Not Taken. You could legitimately ask whether more than one big, battered green bus could have ever followed that road, but it certainly leads to some amazing places. I count myself fortunate to have been along for the ride.

Now that, is the way to see your first SGM show! Superb.

Neil

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    So which pieces from the new album were started/written before the big hiatus? (I'm just curious if my favorites are mostly old or mostly new)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    So which pieces from the new album were started/written before the big hiatus? (I'm just curious if my favorites are mostly old or mostly new)
    AFAIK, ALL of it, unless I misunderstood the credits.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

From the bandcamp page

Most of these recordings were started at Polymorph in Oakland, CA in 2010-11. Additional overdubs in the intervening years were done at Polymorph and in home studios across the land. S.P.Q.R. was entirely recorded and mixed at Polymorph in 2004 and previously released as a 7” on Dephine Knormal Musik. (Hi, Moe!) “Hush, Hush” and “El Evil” were recorded at Polymorph and home studios in 2023.
    Hush Hush and Silverfish are Rabbit Rabbit Radio songs, Hush Hush was on their debut album.

SPQR is a This Heat song
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

And "The Gift" was also recorded by Free Salamander Exhibit.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Many thanks for the replies. I guess I have no reason why my favorites are my favorites.

But i'll try one more...Is it known how much overdubbing was done/if it was more prevalent on certain songs or others?

My review of Of The Last Human Being: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-sl...an-being-2024/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Been on a waiting list for a physical CD. Bandcamp lists as Sold Out....shipping in March......It's almost May....are they going to release more copies? Did they sell it at the Merch tables?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

It was on sale at the gigs
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

I'm pretty sure I got mine from Bandcamp, but it may have been a pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Been on a waiting list for a physical CD. Bandcamp lists as Sold Out....shipping in March......It's almost May....are they going to release more copies? Did they sell it at the Merch tables?
    yes, this did seem to sell out everywhere immediately. After looking for like two months, I was able to snag a copy from wayside on a restock, maybe a month or so ago (?), which now appears out of stock again. Not a great job here by the band it seems.