Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flower Kings In The Studio Again

Flower Kings In The Studio Again

Tomas Bodin posted on Facebook yesterday (I think) that they were beginning the recording of a new album. It sounds like there is potential for this one to be a bit of a change for them as apparently they are going in with nothing prepared. It's expected to be more of a collaborative effort than in the past.

On the other hand, later on Roine mentioned that he was bringing some unused demo material along with him left over from the last Transatlantic, Agents of Mercy, and Flower Kings studio efforts.

It will be interesting to see if that material takes center stage or is only pulled out in the case they they find themselves stuck for ideas.

I hope we get at least a good 25% or more of collaborative results...it's good to mix things up and I think it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thoughts?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Thoughts?

I guess I'd better finally have a listen to the most recent FloKi CD.

looking forward to it! thanks for the heads up

As usual, I'm in with both feet.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I'm glad for them and their fans, but they lost me a long time back now. Their last effort left me bored, their earlier work was so good! I don't feel they've done anything to eclipse Space Revolver since. I think they fell into too much of a formula. They're not on my autobuy list any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's expected to be more of a collaborative effort than in the past.

Thoughts?
    Their last really collaborative effort, AFAIK, was Disc 2 of "Paradox Hotel," and I loved it. Then they went back to their same-old, same-old, and I lost interest again. I might get this if the songwriting credits are indeed spread around. I'd especially like to see Hasse Froberg and Jonas Reingold kick in more. (Tomas Bodin is okay too on the songwriting front; "Touch My Heaven" was a slice of pure beauty.)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I don't feel they've done anything to eclipse Space Revolver since.
    "Space Revolver" is the only TFK album I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping anything. In fact, all the other albums only have two or three tracks that I actually ENJOY.

Good news for sure. Their "comeback" effort was terrific, and I'm glad we wont have to wait another 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Space Revolver" is the only TFK album I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping anything. In fact, all the other albums only have two or three tracks that I actually ENJOY.
    I can easily do that with both "Stardust We Are" and "Unfold the Future", and they are both doubles. In fact from start to finish, I find "Unfold" to be their best work. Do they have a couple clunker albums? Well I've never been crazy about "Rainmaker' and "Adam and Eve", but even those two albums have some strong material, hardly total losses.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess I'd better finally have a listen to the most recent FloKi CD.
    I have to admit that when I first heard it I couldn't help but do a bit of an eye-roll at a couple of points. On the other hand, I soon forgot all about that and couldn't even tell you what parts had that effect on me as I found myself enjoying the entire thing without reservation. If you like Roine's guitar work I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of superb solos on one TFK album.

space revolver is there worst cd in catlogue lyrics on it r stupid chickhen farmer how corny can u get song bout chickhens on farm lol

Yeah...real prog is dark and serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by prognoir View Post
    space revolver is there worst cd in catlogue lyrics on it r stupid chickhen farmer how corny can u get song bout chickhens on farm lol
    I love that song. Personally, I love it when TFK have a little whimsey with their songs.

As for the last one, I think it is decent enough, but there isn't much that makes it stand out. If there ever was a generic FK album, it would be that one. I hope the next one is better. (Paradox Hotel was the last time I enjoyed a FK album.)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I'm glad for them and their fans, but they lost me a long time back now. Their last effort left me bored, their earlier work was so good! I don't feel they've done anything to eclipse Space Revolver since. I think they fell into too much of a formula. They're not on my autobuy list any longer.
    That's my position too. I couldn't pick a single song in their last CD to be worth listening. In the previous three, the total do not add more than 4 songs. Unless there is a radical or significant deviation from their formulaic style " would not but another Flower King's album.

Quote Originally Posted by prognoir View Post
    Is there a translator for this?

Space Revolver is their best album (IMHO) and Chicken Farmer Song is a beautiful little prog track.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    That's my position too. I couldn't pick a single song in their last CD to be worth listening. In the previous three, the total do not add more than 4 songs. Unless there is a radical or significant deviation from their formulaic style " would not but another Flower King's album.
    So, why don't you just let them go? Why are you still hanging in there and criticising them because they are not producing music especially for you. Same goes for your comment in the Transatlantic thread.

It's like hanging on grimly to a failed relationship because your partner refuses to be who you want them to be

Leave them (and us) be, gilawi, and listen to the stuff that you actually do still enjoy

Personally speaking (as as a counter to the negative comments here), I am delighted with this burst of activity from The Flower Kings (and the impending Transatlantic recording session) as, over the past 10 or 15 years, these musicians have brought so much musical pleasure into my life

I will always pay attention to what this band does, though admittedly their last few CDs are indistinguishable to me. They are all definitely enjoyable to varying degrees, but Space Revolver is really their last for me that was very identifiable. Case in point, when I see them live, I know every song, but if you asked me there and then to identify each CD that the entire setlist was from, I couldn't do it. I like the band, but the idea of changing things up a bit, is a good one to me.

Always happy to hear when Roine is in the studio. He's done his share putting prog back on the map, even on a small scale. And while the last FK album was one of my least favorites from them, it still had strong moments. They will probably never do an album like 'Stardust We Are', but I also don't think they will ever do a 'poor' album-Roine is too much of an artist for that.

Would like to see more instrumentals, though

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    So, why don't you just let them go? Why are you still hanging in there and criticising them because they are not producing music especially for you. Same goes for your comment in the Transatlantic thread.

It's like hanging on grimly to a failed relationship because your partner refuses to be who you want them to be

Leave them (and us) be, gilawi, and listen to the stuff that you actually do still enjoy
    Well for me personally, I was being critical, but at the same time, I have most of what they've produced, and latley they have left me disappointed. As for them being like a failed relationship, well, I guess even in a failed relationship you hope that around the next turn the old relationship will somehow, magically, be there! Hahahaha. Yeah, that's never really worked out. I love Stolts voice, his phrasing, he's one of my favorite guitarists by far, for sure. So, although critical, I hold out hope.
    I hate threads that are taken over by overly critical posts, so i either avoid them, or temper them like i tried to do here. It may or may not have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    their last few CDs are indistinguishable to me.
    I have that occasionally when it comes to their earlier albums (BitWoA, Retropolis, Stardust, Flower Power, Space Revolver). But I find far more variation in latter day albums from Rainmaker to the present. Part of that I think is due to my becoming aware of them around UTF, then rapidly buying all their earlier albums and becoming familiar with those within a short period of time.

But I think with time they have varied things more than they did initially (at least to my ears).

For me, this is very exciting news. I always have faith in Roine and he never disappoints. I thought Banks of Eden was a fantastic comeback album.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I say bring it on. I love Roine's work. He and Tomas have created some wonderful music and I'm sure they will do this again.
    Here's hoping for some nice guests. I still miss Hasse Bruniusson. He added some quirkiness and unpredictability to the mix.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    Is there a translator for this?

Space Revolver is their best album (IMHO) and Chicken Farmer Song is a beautiful little prog track.

I like that one too. A good song, with a good proggy upbeat vibe. -Could have been a radio hit... in a not so different world.

I thought Banks Of Eden was very good, especially some of the 'leftover' tracks on disc 2. I never did warm to The Sum Of No Evil, it just doesn't do anything for me. But I like all their other albums, especially the first five or so. Flower Power is probably my favourite.

I only have one Tomas Bodin solo album (Sonic Boulevard) but it's quite good as well. I should look into another one of his the next time I'm in a TFK & related phase.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    I say bring it on. I love Roine's work. He and Tomas have created some wonderful music and I'm sure they will do this again.
    Here's hoping for some nice guests. I still miss Hasse Bruniusson. He added some quirkiness and unpredictability to the mix.
    That, and I don't think anyone quite filled Salazars shoes very well either, his style was so perfect for them. Though I think the newest guy did ok, I cant remember, the album was unfortunately forgettable to me.