Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson.. Where to begin???

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I would go from first to last in chronological order....you might be surprised at what jumps out (or not).
    I agree with this. Just start at the top and take the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    [I]
    Their very last studio album proper, The Power to Believe, wasn't all that bad. But hyper-angular progressive tech-metal like this has been done better by others and earlier.
    I won’t debate the definitions or merits of tech-metal, for I know nothing of it outside of ‘00s Crim (or so I now can assume).

There are better albums, too, in the discography. No debate there.

But listen to that rhythm section! Hypnotic and, yes, angular and chest-thumping and fucking out there. Who else were doing what Gunn and Mastelotto were doing in the context of a working, often improvising, live rock and goddamn roll band?

The live documents from ‘03, particularly and perhaps self-explanatory the shows after Gunn had quit the band, are some moments of high wire magic. Why would any other band do this? Wonderful.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    I cannot begin to adequately express my admiration for the Gunn/Mastelotto rhythm section - but that admiration did not appear with the OG TCoL release but subsequently over three shows I saw on that tour.

Total Live Monsters
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Tu-Ner (Reuter, Mastelotto, Gunn) album Contact Information just came out this week and it's really great. The closest comparison I can come up with are the Stick Men albums Open and Unleashed. Also highly recommended is the KoMaRa album that Mastelotto did with David Kollar and Paolo Raineri. It's one of those albums I have to try not to listen to too often because I don't want to get tired of it. A live piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnfF5xLOvg

Burning Shed has a 5 CD box called Audio Diary 2014-2018. They cover almost everything from the 1969-74 versions of KC, plus much from the 1980-2000 period. This box is the only live recordings you need, IMO, and it gives a good overview of their repertoire.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Audio Diary covers their entire repertoire, and it's great, sure, but it's all performed by the most recent lineup, and is in no way "the only live recordings you need", IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Impossible to recommend anything without knowing your tastes.
    This. Especially with a band like King Crimson.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    This. Especially with a band like King Crimson.
    That's why I like the different eras approach. Listen to 1-2 from each of the different eras and if you like some, explore those closer to them, but if you like all of them - jump in and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    You said it. Do you like Talking Heads? Go for Discipline. Do you love U.K.? Go for Red. Do you love Tool? Go for Thrak (or what came after that). Etc.
    I like the first song, with Adrian Belew singing. I swore it was David Byrne the first time I heard it unitl I heard otherwise.

my taste in genres or bands is all over the map. I don't even know where to begin stating what I like in either category. I did see a Fripp solo show at a mall (youtube) once. he was playing guitar and turning knows and moving levers. the most boring thing I've seen. On the other hand, I do like soundscapes. I remember watching that and thinking "this is entertainment?"

I do appreciate all the responses to my query.

Whilst I have no objections to people’s suggestions, I would suggest the ‘Live in Toronto’ CD from the 2015 tour.
    It provides an excellent account of all eras old and new.
    Seeing them on this tour was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Three hours of music without a break, it was like being punched in the face repeatedly- and loving it.
    Crimson newbie... this is the world you are stepping into.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Thank you. I'll chase Live in Toronto

Responding to the title of this thread: Look for Giles Giles & Fripp that started it all in August 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Look for Giles Giles & Fripp
    ...if you want to hear something that sounds more like a watered-down Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band than King Crimson.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Whilst I have no objections to people’s suggestions, I would suggest the ‘Live in Toronto’ CD from the 2015 tour.
    It provides an excellent account of all eras old and new.
    Toronto is indeed their best with the three-drummers era

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Do you like Talking Heads? Go for Discipline.
    Do you love U.K.? Go for Red.
    Do you love Tool? Go for Thrak (or what came after that).
    Etc.
    Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure about Tool or UK.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

King Crimson is my favorite band because they are the definition of progressive. They were always changing and progressing. They
    had so many lineups but I loved every one of them. They changed style from one album to another but were always interesting, prog music. If I had one band to listen to it would be KC because you could listen to their entire discography and listen to so many styles of prog music

I would go in chronoligical order. Not that I did, but I probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the only KC album I've heard all the way through is the first one, which I like but don't love. I take it there are many phases in their discography. How or Where or What would anyone recommend to an elder (mid 60s) newbie? I suppose it depends on what I like. Any shot-in-the-dark Suggestions?
    Red was my successful entry point, after their debut left me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I would go in chronological order. Not that I did, but I probably should have.
    Normally, this is what I would suggest for rock bands in general... but for prog bands, the début is not necessarily their better album (even if for Crimson, it is +/- the case >> well Lizard is my fave). Most prog bands take a few album to really hit the cruising stride speed.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Normally, this is what I would suggest for rock bands in general... but for prog bands, the début is not necessarily their better album (even if for Crimson, it is +/- the case >> well Lizard is my fave). Most prog bands take a few album to really hit the cruising stride speed.
    I would start with the debut album and then jump right to Larks' Tongues in Aspic.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

As someone who loves ITCOTCK, Red and Thrak, who struggles with the rest of the catalog, I’d suggest Radical Action ( to Inseat the Hold of Monkey Mind). The sound quality is excellent, something I couldn’t get past on some of their earlier catalog. It’s long (3 CDs and a DVD), and well represented of all their catalog. OK a little light on the Belew era, which is ok for me even though I’m a fan of Thrak. It’s a live album without the crowd which is a bit odd. Live in Chicago has KC always on the edge, an exciting set but fewer songs. Live in Mexico is excellent and long too. Really all of their live albums from the 2010’s are very good.

I bought Radical Action because it had a sound I liked, was long, plus had to have Epitaph, 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track from the first album.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-07-2023 at 12:15 AM.

My entry was USA. a bone-crushing live document of the late LTIA/SABB/RED band. At that point, my tastes were for Bone Crushing, so that worked well for me.

Now, I'd probably say Lark's is one of the most perfect albums ever made by anyone, from start to finish, and deserves headphones and full attention.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post

Now, I'd probably say Lark's is one of the most perfect albums ever made by anyone, from start to finish, and deserves headphones and full attention.
    ...and
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'd try Lark Tongues in Aspic, which I consider a true prog classic and a real one-of-a-kind. I kind of want to give a shout out to Lizard, another one-of-a-kind and a personal favorite, but I realize I'm kind of alone in that opinion.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...