Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What surround mix did you listen today?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This evening I was in a Gentle Giant-mood and played the 1976 quad mix from the 2011-CD/DVD-set of Interview, followed by the 2015 Blu-Ray-version of Octopus (which includes a live-version of Excerpts From Octopus, recording in 1976 in 5.1 DTS surround.
    What a unique band and sound. I guess I should follow this one of these days with the quad mixes of "The Power And The Glory" and "Free Hand"; haven't heard them since a long time.
    Great post!
    I agree with you!

I was in the mood for some space-music, so I started my evening with the 25th Anniversary Edition in Surround Sound of Amin Bhatia's The Interstellar Suite.

Great cinematic synth-music with wonderful 5.1 effects!

The only bummer here was that I pledged for the deluxe package and deluxe it indeed was (lot of extra CD's, t-shirt, book), but I did not get an official DVD (or the Blu-Ray/DVD-set as shown at discogs), just the DTS preview audio Preview DVD which pledgers already received before, because the whole project took so long to finish. Anyway, the sound is DYNAMIC!

Then I thought: "hé, this sounds like Gustav Holst's The Planets, let's play that SACD with surround sound right after it. I got the version of 1995 with John Eliot Gardiner conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra ane Women's Voices Of The Monteverdi Choir.

Before The Planets the orchestra played The Warriors by Percy Grainger, which sounds as if he's been influenced by Holst too, although the booklet says the wrote their pieces more or less in the same period.

I was in the mood for some space-music, so I started my evening with the 25th Anniversary Edition in Surround Sound of Amin Bhatia's The Interstellar Suite.

Great cinematic synth-music with wonderful 5.1 effects!

The only bummer here was that I pledged for the deluxe package and deluxe it indeed was (lot of extra CD's, t-shirt, book), but I did not get an official DVD (or the Blu-Ray/DVD-set as shown at discogs), just the DTS preview audio Preview DVD which pledgers already received before, because the whole project took so long to finish. Anyway, the sound is DYNAMIC!

Then I thought: "hé, this sounds like Gustav Holst's The Planets, let's play that SACD with surround sound right after it. I got the version of 1995 with John Eliot Gardiner conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra ane Women's Voices Of The Monteverdi Choir.

Before The Planets the orchestra played The Warriors by Percy Grainger, which sounds as if he's been influenced by Holst too, although the booklet says the wrote their pieces more or less in the same period.
    Very cool! I like the way your mind works! That was a logical connection to make.

And I fully admire your tendency to be a Pledger for many different, worthy projects, especially at the upper levels. That is very kind! Guys like you often make the difference in these projects getting completed or not. And yes, some do take much longer than planned (The Frank Wyatt CD was the perfect example of that.)

I recently played the special Surround DVD (“Immersive Experience” ) of the BBC show Earth: One Amazing Day. It is a quirky combo of Surround effects and music. Really on the wilder side of Surround. You will have no problem telling if all of your speakers work on this one!

^^Thanks for the kind words.

I must admit that I've more or less stopped to pledge, especially at what you call the upper levels. A lot of pledges became unreliable (remember Jeff Berlin's Jack Bruce-project?) and yes, I've become careful with my money too

Just checked my DVD collection: I do have a BBC show called Earth, but that's another you mentioned. Mine has a subtitle The Power Of The Planet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1145500/

^^Thanks for the kind words.

I must admit that I've more or less stopped to pledge, especially at what you call the upper levels. A lot of pledges became unreliable (remember Jeff Berlin's Jack Bruce-project?) and yes, I've become careful with my money too

Just checked my DVD collection: I do have a BBC show called Earth, but that's another you mentioned. Mine has a subtitle The Power Of The Planet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1145500/
    So that Berlin project never got finished? Bummer. I really admire Berlin’s playing, and much of his approach, but of course he rubs many people the wrong way.

I’ll have to look up that “Power of the Planet” title.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    So that Berlin project never got finished? Bummer. I really admire Berlin’s playing, and much of his approach, but of course he rubs many people the wrong way.
    Jacksongs, the project Jeff Berlin started, eventually got released last year, but you had to pledge again after the first round was cancelled. See https://www.jeffberlinmusicgroup.com/
    The first pledge promissed that Allan Holdsworth would particpate too, the sole reason I joined, but after it was delayed and Holdsworth died other musicians were involved. I love Berlin's playing too, especially on the Bruford-albums, but I was so tired about the whole thing I didn't want to pledge again.

Jacksongs, the project Jeff Berlin started, eventually got released last year, but you had to pledge again after the first round was cancelled. See https://www.jeffberlinmusicgroup.com/
    The first pledge promissed that Allan Holdsworth would particpate too, the sole reason I joined, but after it was delayed and Holdsworth died other musicians were involved. I love Berlin's playing too, especially on the Bruford-albums, but I was so tired about the whole thing I didn't want to pledge again.
    Oh wow. What a mess! And yes, that prospect of Holdsworth being involved made the project super exciting. Holdsworth was like no other musician. Ever. I was so pleased I got to see him several times, including several of the first “UK” concerts.

I have some photos of him playing outrageous chords. I remember standing up close to the screen (they were slides) and counting the insane amount of frets that his hand spanned in some of those chords. I always called him Spider Hands.

Yesterday I played the recent SACD with the original quadraphonic mix of Santana's Caravanserai. What a great percussion-festival from all speakers, the double bass sounds as if it's played in the room and of course the guitar-playing is top.

Here's a different version to get an idea:

More praise over here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...ai-sacd.33262/

Yesterday I played the recent SACD with the original quadraphonic mix of Santana's Caravanserai. What a great percussion-festival from all speakers, the double bass sounds as if it's played in the room and of course the guitar-playing is top.

Here's a different version to get an idea:

More praise over here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...ai-sacd.33262/
    Ooh! A great suggestion; it is one of my favorite Santana albums, but I have not heard it in Surround. It is now on my list!

Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Ooh! A great suggestion; it is one of my favorite Santana albums, but I have not heard it in Surround. It is now on my list!

Thank you!!!!
    I now have Santana, Abraxas, Santana II, Caravanserai and Lotus in this format (SACD in a 7 "-cover with a lot of extra's). All (and more Santana-related) available from CDJapan: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Sa...iginal_release

I wonder if they (CBS, Japan) will continue with Welcome and Borboletta.

Played KC's Thrak last night - the surround gives much more separation between the paired instruments particularly the drums.

Tonight feels like more KC - probably Discipline or Beat.

The eons are closing
    I have listened to the reimagined stereo version but not surround mix.

Did ReconstruKction.... a little bit ago.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I have listened to the reimagined stereo version but not surround mix.
    The stereo mix is good and brings more clarity to the music but I find the surround is even better for that.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    The stereo mix is good and brings more clarity to the music but I find the surround is even better for that.
    I find I prefer the OG stereo mix because of that dirtier mix - it adds an unique character that is lost in the clearer mixes.

But gonna try the Thrak surround hopefully this weekend.

Last night I played the Japanese SACD-version of Roger Waters' Amused To Death. The comments on Discogs on this version and the USA-SACD-version are spot on. This is such a wonderful surround mix, with highlights of special effects, spoken words, samples, natural sounds ect. coming from unexpected places. Of course the music and especially Jeff Beck's guitar-playing is top. The only comment I have is that it's lightly too long.

The eons are closing
    Does that version have the inserted HAL (2001) computer voices that he could not use / get clearance for at its OG release?

The original in Q Sound CD release was awesome - but will look into this sacd

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Does that version have the inserted HAL (2001) computer voices that he could not use / get clearance for at its OG release?

The original in Q Sound CD release was awesome - but will look into this sacd
    Good question; didn't know about this. According to this article the HAL-voice from the movie 2001 was used on the SACD: https://highfidelity.pl/@main-602&lang=en
    Maybe this is what is meant with the line "Additional recording by James Guthrie" in the booklet? Edit: reading that part of the article explains that there are more things added/changed.

I also have the Q Sound-release (the gold disc Master Sound): https://www.discogs.com/release/9658...mused-To-Death
    Although that one sounds great, listening to the SACD is an sonic adventure.

Just played the 5.1 DTS surround sound mix from the 2007 re-recording of Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene (I have this CD/DVD-version: https://www.discogs.com/release/1325...rding-DVD-Live). Just like Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite this is a fine spacy experience, but unlike the dynamic heavy suite, Oxygene is a relaxed affair. I must say, I hardly hear any difference with the original version of 1976. Many differences though on the "Live In Your Living Room"-performance of the piece, also on the DVD, played by Jarre accompanied by several musicians.

Haven't played surround mixes for a week, but yesterday I was in the mood and played three.

I started with New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) from Simple Minds. The DVD was one of the 6 discs in the boxset from 2016. This is still my favorite of this band: almost symphonic artrock.

Then I played the Blu-Ray of Eye In The Sky by The Alan Parsons Project. Love those Blu-Rays now I finally have a player

Finally, inspired by another thread on PE, I played the moody Blu-Ray from Storm Corrosion. I bought the CD/BR-set years ago for about $ 5, but never really payed attention to the music. The surround mix really gives the music its scary, haunting character.

I would love to join in the discussion but in spite of amassing a reasonable number of surround sound discs (Yes Panegyric releases, XTC’s Surround Series, myriad Rob Reed projects, Hawkwind’s recent box sets plus more), I still do not have the means to play them. My main listening zone is in my study, not a huge room, and it might be an easier area to equip and wire up. Would anybody be so kind as to recommend an entry level system that will allow me to join the party and see what I’m missing.

I'm not technically the best and have a quite old system, so can't really help out. Even my OPPO is not the newest and I believe they don't even make them anymore.

Friday I finally got my hands on the Blu-Ray-edition of Wet Dream, the first solo-album from Richard Wright. This has a fine Dolby Atmos Mix (amongst others). Not the best soloalbum from a Pink Floyd-member, but still very enjoyable, even more now the mix has a lot more dynamics.

The eons are closing
    I too use an Oppo BDP-95 for my Blu-ray discs into my "Atmos" system which is essentially a soundbar with upward firing speakers as well as directional tweeters and a dedicated center channel, I also have a subwoofer with that.

Listened to the Yes Album last night - some nice placements of the guitars and keys in the instrumental sections and the vox sections with multiple vocals. Bass could have been a bit louder for my taste but that might be because I'm a bass player .

To SC's question I don't think I can offer much input either. My system is 10 - 12 years old - Speakers are Monitor Audio with a Yamaha receiver. I have an Oppo player as well.

I'd say the sound quality is very good but not audiophile - I put it together over a couple of years when I found good deals on the speakers.

Not sure what the entry level systems are like these days but I would guess that ones from the major brands would at least be acceptable.

Not sure about this, but I guess, if you only have Blu-Ray's and audio-DVD's with surround mixes and NO SACD's, a basic Blu-Ray player is good enough. Of course a surround receiver + 3 extra speakers are necessary + eventually a subwoofer.

^^^ Thank you for the feedback. I have to admit I was getting tied up in knots thinking I needed a professionally installed fully wired system, and I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route but this Sony 5.1 seems reasonably priced, and all I guess that would need to add is a Blu-Ray player. I can see a purchase coming on in time for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YNYG3...ptfctklorg8omn