Thread: Long lost Steely Dan song emerges, Second Arrangement from the Gaucho sessions

Long lost Steely Dan song emerges, Second Arrangement from the Gaucho sessions

Well this is kind of cool.
    There was a Steely Dan song called _Second Arrangement _ written for the Gaucho sessions.
    The song was recorded, almost finished, lacking only horns and fade.
    They decided to break for the night and found upon return the next day that the tape had been erased by accident.
    They decided not to try to re record the song, it was thought to be lost.
    It turned out that one of the engineers had a cassette tape of the song, discovered after his death.
    There are several takes in the recording which is embedded in the article below.
    The story is more involved than that, so click the link and find out.

Second Arrangement Steely Dan Roger Nichols Tape
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I don't think I've ever heard this song before so that was most interesting. Even after they worked together again, Fagen and Becker really never captured the magic of their original run.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Pretty catchy, not sure if it would've made a good choice as a single though.

This has been a known thing for a very long time, with the demo recording out there - look it up on YouTube. Such a great tune.... harmonics for days. I can only imagine a Becker-fied top flight Dan recording would've sounded like. The quality of the audio on that one was awful.

How exciting! Thanks for sharing
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

That was mega awesomeness. Thanks again!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I wonder if a pro could tweak it up to Dan standards. Regardless, it's nice to hear a clear rendition of a legendary track.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Now they need to locate Heartbreak Souvenir.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

This is a well known tale in Steely land. There's been a crappy copy circulating for years. To find a cleaner one was a cool thing.

I don't think it's that amazing of a tune, truth be told. It's no better than what made it on the album. Wouldn't want to swap it with anything there. Would be nice to add it to the album though... Not like that can happen. I'd like to cover it. I play with a Steely tribute occasionally...

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    That’s a nice track. It doesn’t seem like Steely Dan, or whoever controls their catalog, is really into doing archival stuff so this might be as good as it gets on that front.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters