Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is echolyn still active

Is echolyn still active

Any chance of seeing them again?

I believe Echolyn have been working on a new album as of late. I recall seeing them post videos on their FB page fairly recently.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yes, they are finishing up their new album. Last I heard, Chris will be doing the last of the vocals at the end of June.

As for them playing live, your guess is as good as mine. That's not an easy thing for them to pull together these days.
    Chad

Chris posts about the ongoing work pretty often on FB, yeah
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Their back catalog is so brimming that it's hard to choose from. Personally I still haven't even got around to side 4 of that Window/Echolyn 2LP, and I never purchased their latest. 'Though I probably should.

Still love'em and hoping for a future.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The band's communication has never been very good. I have not seen any official announcement but Paul Ramsey and Tom Hyatt have left the band several years ago and ex-drummer Jordan Perlson played drums on the new album as a guest. The band are now reduced to the core trio of Kull, Weston and Buzby, who have always been the songwriters anyway.
    They seem to be moving very slowly as they have been putting the finishing touches to the new album for about a year now. But then they all have day jobs and it seems they can only work for Echolyn occasionnally on week-ends.
    Fingers crossed for a release of the new album this year, which should include a 28 minute epic. If Island and Mei are any indication, we should be in for a treat.

i assume these are all the track titles for the new one:

#SmellsLikeSunshine #RadioWaves #WaitingOnTheWonderful #PunchingAtoms #WaterInOurHands #HighToSayGoodbye #BouldersOnHills #TimeHasNoPlace

i'm always very iffy about things when i hear their in progress takes (they always just sound very prog-by-numbers)...but then i end up blown away at the finished product...so i'm avoiding listening to the sneak peaks...this is a band that hasn't let me down since Cowboy Poems onward and one that moves me to tears along with Gazpacho.

Looking forward to more Echolyn.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

^ I realize how this is supposedly some kind of sacrilege (to Haruspex), but Cowboy Poems, to me, was their pinnacle. I still adore the timeless aura and trivialist mystery of that album. "Too Late for Everything" is just about as superlative as any closing track gets. Simply brilliant.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I realize how this is supposedly some kind of sacrilege (to Haruspex), but Cowboy Poems, to me, was their pinnacle. I still adore the timeless aura and trivialist mystery of that album. "Too Late for Everything" is just about as superlative as any closing track gets. Simply brilliant.
    I also love Cowboy Poems. Maybe my favourite Echolyn album. Very underrated.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

This thread reminds me I haven't listened to their albums in a while. Wasn't really into what they put out after MEI.

I come back to Mei most often, but for individual (shorter) songs, it's Lovesick Morning. I do love them all and need to revisit them.

i find the lyrics and the deliveries of the early albums a bit too...saccharine and schmaltzy for lack of a better word; i might extend that to include Too Late For Everything and some of Cowboys (like Brittany and High As Pride)...you might say the same of the later albums but they strike me as being way more sincere and painfully honest...though i mostly dig As The World Chris has even said he finds the key patches on those albums a little too much i think too. also kudos for trivialist, new word for me.

Probably my favorite band, bar none. I got into their original run as a suburban American teenager with similar interests and concerns as Kull and Weston, so its naivetee never bothered me. Life punched me in the mouth later, and though I have recovered my footing the darker stuff still speaks to me on a deep level.

My favorites are probably

1. Mei
    2. Windows
    3. The End is Beautiful

Also: the Windows era b-sides are great. I find them as good as I heard You Listening, and sometimes I like them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    kudos for trivialist, new word for me.
    While not a brand new word, it's a bit new. Denoting "everyday/pedestrian" but sans the condescending catch.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    This thread reminds me I haven't listened to their albums in a while. Wasn't really into what they put out after MEI.
    Same here. I tried, but I've ditched all post MEI albums and really have never looked back. I'll sample new stuff, but I feel the band has moved into territory that simply isn't for me.

Bill

Personally I still haven't even got around to side 4 of that Window/Echolyn 2LP.....
    I had problems with that one too. It seemed like they might have been trying for a consistent sound, and tried too hard. The one after it, though, was a partial return to form. And I consider Mei and The End is Beautiful to be about as good as modern prog gets.

Cowboy Poems, to me, was their pinnacle....
    ......."Too Late for Everything" is just about as superlative as any closing track gets. Simply brilliant.
    Isn't "Too Late for Everything" one of the component parts of Mei?

I personally love the 2012 self titled album. It's a masterpiece imo.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Since my connection to music is almost always an emotional one, Mei had significance for me. It was post-9/11 and I was still suffering PTSD from that day on top of all my other anxiety issues. That album arrived at the right time. The first time I listened to it, I was in tears and for that reason it's always on top of the heap of Echolyn albums.

It's a remarkably consistent catalogue IMO. Just flipping through all their CDs and realizing how much I genuinely like just about all of them. One day I need to start properly exploring Kull's solo material, which I've only ever sampled here and there.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Since we are listing our favorite and non-favorite albums I will go for "Cowboy Poems Free" as my favorite from them. I call it "Americana Prog" which is a totally unique genre that Echolyn created. For lest favorite, I am not as big a fan of "Mei" as many people are. I think it starts out great, but then kind of meanders off course a bit. I like the album, but don't love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    My favorite echolyn also.

Cowboy Poems Free rocks quite a bit so I like it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    100% agree. That and Mei are their top two, for me.

Neil