Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Violinist Ragsdale leaves Kansas

Violinist Ragsdale leaves Kansas

Announced today by Kansas:

The band KANSAS would like to thank violinist David Ragsdale for his decades of dedicated musicianship as he departs the band to focus on personal matters.

David first joined KANSAS in 1991, reinstating the iconic violin sound into the band. His first tenure with the band lasted until 1996. During that time, he appeared on live album ‘Live at the Whiskey’ and the studio album ‘Freaks of Nature.’

Ragsdale rejoined KANSAS in 2006 and has been a constant with the band for the past 17 years.

“For 23 years, David Ragsdale has been the best bandmate anyone could ever hope to work with,” comments KANSAS manager and original drummer Phil Ehart. “He reinserted the band’s signature violin after years of its absence. Since then, he’s been a critical member of the KANSAS family. I speak for the entire organization in saying we will miss him and wish him all the best.”

David performed more than 1,600 concerts with KANSAS. He appeared on three studio albums (Freaks of Nature, The Prelude Implicit, and The Absence of Presence) and four live albums (Live at the Whiskey, There’s Know Place Like Home, Leftoverture Live & Beyond, and Point of Know Return Live & Beyond).

Ragsdale’s departure will not impact any KANSAS performance scheduling. A new KANSAS violinist will be announced in the coming days.

Did not see this coming. I have met Rags a few times over the years and he always seemed like a nice guy and of course is extremely talented. Rumor has it that they already have a replacement that will be announced later this week. Hopefully "personal matters" are nothing serious.

Very sad. He's a fantastic player and performer. Has a great stage presence and plays beautifully in tune. I hope they get someone comparable.

I met him briefly and he seemed like a good guy. Fantastic musician, they were lucky to have him in the band.

I just saw him play with them LAST NIGHT—from front row center! He was great and seemed very happy. Glad I saw him again (his long gray hair fit in great, too) but I’ll miss him tremendously!

Sorry to hear that, David is a great player. All the best to him and Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Rumor has it that they already have a replacement that will be announced later this week.
    This is true. Rags will certainly be missed, but the violinist that is coming on board is extremely good. Looking forward to seeing them in the Philly area in a couple weeks.

Congrats, J.D.!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Congrats, J.D.!
    Yes! Fantastic choice.

So that guy can also sing :-) Is that a 7 string violin?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    This is true. Rags will certainly be missed, but the violinist that is coming on board is extremely good. Looking forward to seeing them in the Philly area in a couple weeks.
    Yup, great choice!

Sorry to read he had to leave the band. He played guitar as well iirc. I saw him with Kansas in 2008. Steve Walsh was still in the band at the time.

That's kind of depressing. I've been listening to The Prelude Implicit and The Absence of Presence recently and I'll come right out and say it -- Kansas really delivered with both albums. They're both terrific and exactly what I want a Kansas album to sound like. I really long for more new material from them, but with recent primary songwriter Zak Rizvi leaving the band and now Ragsdale gone, I don't think it's going to happen. I'm glad their new violinist is good, but I'd give anything if the "new" Kansas could make at least one more album and create a post-Walsh trilogy.

Still, I hope Ragsdale's issues aren't serious and wish him all the best. He's a killer fiddler!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Really bummed to miss Ragsdale. However Joe is an outstanding performer and a great choice. Tom musta got him an audition. I'm really happy when guys like this can make a big score. Good luck to Joe and we're excited to see them June 3 in B'more.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It looks like I need to find Freaks of nature.
    I love this album. It has a darkness that you don't often find in Kansas' music.

Very sad to see David Ragsdale leave, as he's obviously a great talent that did a lot to keep Kansas alive these last couple decades. But his replacement certainly seems up to the task. I'm hoping that with the addition of Deninzon and Tom Brislin, they can continue to create great albums.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It looks like I need to find Freaks of nature.
    Scott described it well as there is something about the overall feel of the album that is rather dark. I remember when the album came out I bought it right away and was so happy to hear the violin back in the mix. I would not say that it is a great Kansas album, but it is certainly worth owning for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Scott described it well as there is something about the overall feel of the album that is rather dark. I remember when the album came out I bought it right away and was so happy to hear the violin back in the mix. I would not say that it is a great Kansas album, but it is certainly worth owning for sure.
    Agreed that it's a good, but not great, Kansas album. Walsh's voice was shot by this time, too, so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Agreed that it's a good, but not great, Kansas album. Walsh's voice was shot by this time, too, so keep that in mind.
    It was, but the material's still great. I think Freaks is essential Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It was, but the material's still great. I think Freaks is essential Kansas.
    I think it's pretty good, although I prefer Somewhere to Elsewhere overall musically, and Walsh's voice was even worse on that. The band played great, though, and much of Livgren's material was really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

So that guy can also sing :-) Is that a 7 string violin?
    With frets? I wonder how it's tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    I just saw him play with them LAST NIGHT—from front row center! He was great and seemed very happy. Glad I saw him again (his long gray hair fit in great, too) but I’ll miss him tremendously!
    I was also at his last show (Louisville). He was spectacular, precise, joyful in his playing. I've met him once and found him to be warm and gracious. I hope he has many more opportunities to share his gift with the world. The show was wonderful. Kansas still delivers. Also, for those concerned about songwriting, Tom Brislin is a terrific writer. They played a few of his songs that were really great. I left determined to find more Brislin tracks.

With frets? I wonder how it's tuned.
    Tuned in fifths just like a ‘traditional’ violin (7-string, high to low: E A D G C F B-flat).

It is a Viper, made by rock violinist Mark Wood. My daughter plays a 6-string model and for many years, took lessons from Joe. Joe is a simply amazing player. I have seen Stratospheerius live many times over the year and Joe slays in both the violin playing and songwriting areas. He also plays first violin in Sweet Plantain Quartet, a very cool and diverse quartet that plays many styles. Joe and this quartet also were part of recent Renaissance tours and live albums when they added a chamber orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    I was also at his last show (Louisville). He was spectacular, precise, joyful in his playing. I've met him once and found him to be warm and gracious. I hope he has many more opportunities to share his gift with the world. The show was wonderful. Kansas still delivers. Also, for those concerned about songwriting, Tom Brislin is a terrific writer. They played a few of his songs that were really great. I left determined to find more Brislin tracks.
    Curious for those who were there. Was there any indication or acknowledgement that it was his last show? Seems like they might have done something considering how long he has been with the band. Also, considering the announcement came out so fast and they obviously had someone else already waiting in the wings.

She would have been an interesting choice.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!