Thread: RIP Greg Howard (Chapman Stick virtuoso and teacher)

RIP Greg Howard (Chapman Stick virtuoso and teacher)

I was just on my weekly five-minute scroll through FB and saw the announcement. Only 59. His mark on the Stick community was huge. He was a great player, one of the leading exponents of the instrument, and a superb teacher (I had one video lesson with him about ten years ago). I haven't picked up my instrument in a few years, but I think I will soon.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Wow. That's sad. I remember seeing him play outside of the Nearfest venue (I think in 01 but not sure). I think he also opened up for Porcupine Tree in Philly but I arrived too late. I have one cd by him which I'll have to play tomorrow. RIP Greg.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

RIP. Only saw him perform once, one of several openers before Spock's Beard at Jaxx ( as I recall ).
    Will have to play 'Lift' tomorrow.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Sad news. Yeah Mike, I think he was the one who played outside on the steps at Nearfest.

Sad news indeed. I only have Stick Figures, his first solo-CD, but I read his name every time the Chapman Stick was mentioned.
    For those who haven't heard this album, it's on Bandcamp:

He was a major figure in the Stick community. His loss leaves a major void. May he be resting in rhythm.

Sorry to hear about Greg's passing. I have a couple of his CDs. When I was getting into Stick music about 15 years ago I listened to Greg, and Steve Hahn.

I'm listening to LIFT right now. This is only my second time hearing it even though I've owned it for a very long time. It's a very good one and I think anyone who likes prog-fusion in particular or fusion should check it out.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

omg, this is really sad. I saw him at Nearfest in 2001, then opening for Tim Reynolds later that year in Minneapolis, and then opening for Porcupine Tree a year in Milwaukee.

I remember him kindly giving me a copy of his "Water on the Moon" CD for my radio show on KFAI.

Fantastic Chapman Stick player, and only 59?..way too young.