Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rickenbacker basses are expensive

Rickenbacker basses are expensive

My brother Rob was a bassist, he passed away seven years ago. He left behind forty or so basses & guitars, many Rickenbackers among them. Many vintage 70s models. They all sit in a vault. So sad. My nephew has ownership, but is still mired in grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    My brother Rob was a bassist, he passed away seven years ago. He left behind forty or so basses & guitars, many Rickenbackers among them. Many vintage 70s models. They all sit in a vault. So sad. My nephew has ownership, but is still mired in grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow, that is a shame on several levels.

As far as 4003’s for our new best friend (the OP), GET ONE!

I waited about 40 years to get mine. It is worth saving those ducats!

I got this Jazz Bass body from a friend a while ago. Some cheap no-name body and decided to do some pickup placement experiments I have wanted to do for some time now.
    Richard Sinclair's "The Rotters' Club" sound is one of my favourites and at that time his Jazz Bass had a one Gibson bridge pickup installed between the Jazz pickups (which were removed). As it happens the placement is about the same where Rickenbacker bridge pickup is located. I put an OBL J-style humbucker in that position and it pretty much nails that tone.
    The bass also has two P-pickups in reverse in large housings and they are located in same positions as Lee Sklar has the pickups on his famous Frankenstein bass.
    It's not pretty and needs some kind of pickguard but it sounds good and gives a pretty good Ric bridge pickup tone if needed. I also own a 1991 4003 so I can compare.
    20230402_104830.jpg

I used it on this song:

Doug Rauch did something similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Rauch

Hellmut Hattler: 1972/74 - Modified Rickenbacker 4001 wood/beige + Gibson EB0 pickup

"A friend sold it to me after intensive sound experiments by building in replacement pick ups.
    I guess he chopped out too much wood, as the bass smashed into pieces after a warmup gig in Berlin – just one day before Conny Plank was recording the legendary “KRAAN live” album…
    "

http://www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/kraan/hattlerbass.htm
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-19-2023 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Doug Rauch did it too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Rauch

Hellmut Hattler: 1972/74 - Modified Rickenbacker 4001 wood/beige + Gibson EB0 pickup

"A friend sold it to me after intensive sound experiments by building in replacement pick ups.
    I guess he chopped out too much wood, as the bass smashed into pieces after a warmup gig in Berlin – just one day before Conny Plank was recording the legendary “KRAAN live” album…
    "

http://www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/kraan/hattlerbass.htm
    Yeah, Rauch mod gives a pretty good Ric neck pickup impression 'though the Gibson EB "mudbucker" is much more powerful and darker sounding than a Ric neck PU.
    As it happens I also have a Jazz Bass that has a humbucker near the neck and only because of Doug Rauch who is one of my fav bass players ever.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!
    IMG_3784.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Funny stuff! Chris Squire played a LOT of different basses. I've been playing Rics on and off since 1979, and my '89 4003S has been my #1 for 23 years now. Expensive? Compared to what? My Alembic was expensive. Rics are within reach. There's a lot of misinformation about Rics (see those two idiot videos above). Fender makes nice stuff, but you have to play 10 to find 1 good one. Rics are more consistent in that regard. Quirky - yes, especially if you're accustomed to more of a Fender style. But if and when you get used to them, they are a joy to play.

Ric x3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Funny stuff! Chris Squire played a LOT of different basses. I've been playing Rics on and off since 1979, and my '89 4003S has been my #1 for 23 years now. Expensive? Compared to what? My Alembic was expensive. Rics are within reach. There's a lot of misinformation about Rics (see those two idiot videos above). Fender makes nice stuff, but you have to play 10 to find 1 good one. Rics are more consistent in that regard. Quirky - yes, especially if you're accustomed to more of a Fender style. But if and when you get used to them, they are a joy to play.

Ric x3.jpg
    “Well Spoke, Puck!!”

—The Bard