Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music that was designed to transport you,to another time,another place.

Music that was designed to transport you,to another time,another place.

Here are six artists can stir up and evoke different emotions,feelings, from great joy, and sometimes tears from medieval times to space themes.
    Les Penning-Return to Penrhos, He had worked with Mike Oldfield on Ommadawn,and here works with Robert Reed.There are medieval themes along with ol d english,and Renaissance influenced music, he plays a variety of instruments to numerous to print,and robert reed produced this recording.Next is Constantine-In memory of a summer day.A mixture of prog, folk, psychedelic, Think Circulus, Next is the Guildmaster-The Knight and the Ghost.
    Think of Prog,folk rock mixed with a medieval vibe.Marco Bernard and Tom Scherpenzeel are just some of the artists on this recording
    Next is David Arkenstone-In the wake of the wind. He incorporates World music,Classical,and rock into his music-excellent keyboard player, this recording can sound like a soundtrack to a movie, i mean that in a good way. Next is Patrick Ohearn-Eldorado, He mixes world music with latin, african, and middle eastern music, and there is a jazzy vibe to his music. Last but not least is Constance Demby-Novus Magnifcat-Through the Stargate.
    Her use of electronics majestic music, with western classical influences with futuristic imagery, with bach like organ , and vivaldi like string passages is truly moving. You may be familiar with some of these artists and not other artists mentioned here. This is just a sampling of different artists.
    Please feel free to list other artists not mentioned here. Enjoy.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Pink Floyd -"Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"

Designed, or does it just do that?
    Music, like scents can evoke memories.
    Sort of in the opposite direction.
    I was at a concert last summer of, a performance of Symphony No. 9 by Antonín Dvořák the 'New World Symphony'.
    It was the first time I had heard it performed in it's entirety.
    I was struck at how often I had heard it in others music.
    The rather constant associations my brain was making was at the same time distracting and enlightening.

Sitting on the Progday field in 2013 when Oblivion Sun played some Happy the Man songs I was slingshotted back 35 years to the Cellar Door. It was exhilarating and slightly disorienting.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

The one that fits that best for me is maybe Tangerine Dream's Phaedra.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by seatrain View Post
    Here are six artists can stir up and evoke different emotions,feelings, from great joy, and sometimes tears from medieval times to space themes.
    Les Penning-Return to Penrhos, He had worked with Mike Oldfield on Ommadawn,and here works with Robert Reed.There are medieval themes along with ol d english,and Renaissance influenced music, he plays a variety of instruments to numerous to print,and robert reed produced this recording.Next is Constantine-In memory of a summer day.A mixture of prog, folk, psychedelic, Think Circulus, Next is the Guildmaster-The Knight and the Ghost.
    Think of Prog,folk rock mixed with a medieval vibe.Marco Bernard and Tom Scherpenzeel are just some of the artists on this recording
    Next is David Arkenstone-In the wake of the wind. He incorporates World music,Classical,and rock into his music-excellent keyboard player, this recording can sound like a soundtrack to a movie, i mean that in a good way. Next is Patrick Ohearn-Eldorado, He mixes world music with latin, african, and middle eastern music, and there is a jazzy vibe to his music. Last but not least is Constance Demby-Novus Magnifcat-Through the Stargate.
    Her use of electronics majestic music, with western classical influences with futuristic imagery, with bach like organ , and vivaldi like string passages is truly moving. You may be familiar with some of these artists and not other artists mentioned here. This is just a sampling of different artists.
    Please feel free to list other artists not mentioned here. Enjoy.
    Just a friendly comment, but maybe separate each "subject" so it makes it easier to read and know where we are

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Pink Floyd -"Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"

Great call....!

Sabir Khan on sarangi, with tanpura(drone).

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

First that comes to mind is stuff like Bill Laswell's Axiom Ambient "Lost In The Translation". His music often shifts between and blends futuristic new age fantasy, electronica, rock, ancient tribal and folk from around the world, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    First that comes to mind is stuff like Bill Laswell's Axiom Ambient "Lost In The Translation". His music often shifts between and blends futuristic new age fantasy, electronica, rock, ancient tribal and folk from around the world, etc.
    Almost all music transports me if I'm in the right frame of mind...but this particular release is a great call!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

The reason most people of a certain age prefer music from their youth is it transports them back to their youth. Allowing them to relive their youth.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The first thing that came to my mind after about 3 seconds of thinking about it is this piece by Luc Ferrari-Saliceburry Cocktail

(Warning, don't play the youtube embed if this kind of music annoys you---god knows I certainly wouldn't want to do that)

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

One of the more recent ones to do this for me was Stephan Thelen's Fractal Guitar album from 2019. Had it on when I took my two 20 something kids to my sister's place and they kept going on about it. Like a soundtrack for something, well check out the first track.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The one that fits that best for me is maybe Tangerine Dream's Phaedra.
    Definitely; to that I would add Edgars "Aqua" and Klaus' "Timewind", from the progressive electronic side of things and relative to being transported to another place or time.

In another vein, I would call up Santana "Welcome", "Caravanseri" and also "The Pat Metheny Group" self titled from 1978 (especially all 10:14 minutes of 'San Lorenzo').

Anything by Heilung.

Or Faun.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    One of the more recent ones to do this for me was Stephan Thelen's Fractal Guitar album from 2019. Had it on when I took my two 20 something kids to my sister's place and they kept going on about it. Like a soundtrack for something, well check out the first track.
    Are you aware of these other releases, all in the same vein?

Fractal Guitar Remixes and Extra Tracks
    Fractal Guitar 2
    Fractal Guitar 2 Remixes
    Fractal Sextet
    Transneptunian Planets
    Fractal Guitar 3

Magma - Kohntarkosz. Have you ever entered an ancient tomb in Egypt?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Are you aware of these other releases, all in the same vein?

Fractal Guitar Remixes and Extra Tracks
    Fractal Guitar 2
    Fractal Guitar 2 Remixes
    Fractal Sextet
    Transneptunian Planets
    Fractal Guitar 3
    I was aware of a Fractal Guitar 2 but not the rest so thankyou!
    Right now the albums I really like in this style besides Thelen's Fractal Guitar which by the way has so many guitarists on it playing a variety of guitars like Tritone, Touch, Blue Sky, Atmospheric, Cloud and more. Also Sonar's Vortex which for me is so much about David Torn and Sonar's Tranceportation II with all guitarists pretty much using tritone guitars except Torn and this sounds amazing. Bass player uses tritone bass.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Almost any Ozric Tentacles song.