Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Ray Shulman

R.I.P. Ray Shulman

This had been a rumor all day yesterday, but I waited until it was confirmed, which it has now been on the official GG Facebook page:

It is with great sorrow that we announce the passing of Raymond Shulman on March 30th, 2023.

Raymond passed away peacefully at home in London after battling a long illness. He is survived by his wife Barbara Tanner and his brothers Derek & Philip Shulman. His family requests privacy at this very sad time.

How sad and unexpected. I will play Gentle Giant CDs all weekend now...

R.I.P. to a brilliant musician. This is happening all too frequently now, and I expect will get worse. I hate to think of what's to come in the next few years...

cd3.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

huge loss of a “friend” I’ve never met, but always loved

Oh, no! And I had just listened to Free Hand in it's entirety. What a brilliant musician he was. RIP.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Just saw it on Facebook; Rest In Music & Peace Raymond Shulman.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Ray.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

RIP. GG is a top 5, favorite prog group.....🖖✌️

So sorry to hear this. And he was the youngest of the brothers, too. Forever grateful I got to experience Gentle Giant in their prime.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

......Sigh......

Damn. Another one of my musical heroes gone too soon.

Rest in Prog, Ray!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh no, this is so sad. I know what to play this evening now, Rest In Peace Ray and thank you for the music and sharing your wonderful talent.

From Derek Shulman:

I am deeply saddened to announce that my younger brother and my best friend Ray Shulman passed away on March 30th at his home in London. I was with him until the end as he bravely battled a long illness. At least I know he is now at peace. Ray really was a genius in so many ways. He was such a kind and caring soul. He was an incredible composer, musician, music producer & tech wizard. He was a true artist and preferred to stay in the background and let his body of work speak for him rather than talk about himself. Together with myself and my elder brother Philip he was a founding member of Simon Dupree and the Big Sound and subsequently Gentle Giant. He went on to produce artists like The Sundays, The Sugarcubes, Ian McCulloch and many more. More recently he devoted his tech and musical expertise in authoring and remixing other artists. He will be deeply missed by the music community as a whole. More importantly, I will miss him as my brother and truly my best friend. He leaves behind his wife Barbara Tanner & his older brother Philip. To all who knew Ray or know of him ‘Think of him with kindness’.

cd7.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Man, this one is so sad. What an amazing composer/musician and human being. With Ray, Chris Squire, Greg Lake and John Wetton all gone, we truly are approaching the end of an era.

Rest In Prog, Ray.

Neil

Awful news.

Such a loss... What a great musician and artist he was. I'll be listening to a lot of Gentle Giant in the coming days now.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

IMO Ray was the "sekret sauce" that made GG great. Talk about a versatile musician, and a monumental loss to music.

RIP
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

RIP Incredibly sad. A wildly talented & truly kind man.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

No words. One of the brains behind some of my favorite music ever created. Way too young. I hope he knows how deeply those that his music touched felt about him.

Bill

I only really appreciated how incredible Ray was as a musician when I bought the German TV show DVD. Ray was the heart of the group. The pulse of the music was within him. Everyone else (great musicians also) played off him. RIP.

Oh, no.

God, how I still love their music beyond words.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hugely sad news. His music and musicianship were truly inspirational.

This truly is feeling the end of an era, we have lost so many musical heroes in recent times, but Ray always seemed like the younger end of that 70’s firmament. Illness can get us all at any time, and is indiscriminate in that way, but it still hurts when our favourites depart. RIP to one of the true greats of the progressive era.

Really sad to hear this - not only so amazing him being crucial to Gentle Giant - but I was a true fan of Simon Dupree and the Big Sound when I was a young lad.

Ray also became a true expert in authoring DVDs and Blu Rays - he was responsible for many of the amazing recent box sets I was involved with, but also did a beautiful piece of work on my solo album DVD, Da Capo.

RIP Ray - SWTx

Very sad news ! RIP.

Just saw this on the free prog rock feed on my iphone. Sad news. RIP Ray.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Wow. GG produced some of the most amazing music. So sad to hear this. I was waiting for the annual GG reunion April fools joke and we get this extremely sad news. RIP Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk