Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Band Geeks Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The turning point for me was the story about Squire screaming at the child at the meet-and-greet.
    I think that might have been Anderson, not Squire - see post #4 in the thread here: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dif...y-yes.1219466/

I can't find a single reference of this happening with Squire. Honestly, reading how that incident is described, it doesn't sound like Anderson yelled at the child, but rather was making a plea to those who were responsible for watching the child, which given the environment may have been perfectly reasonable.

To counter that story, I played with a drummer in the mid-80s who went to the same Yes show I had attended in Springfield in 1979. I think he was working at the Civic Center, and at the end of the night, his then wife brought the kids in the car when they picked him up. To give them a little thrill, he took them onto Yes' tour bus as the band were still inside the venue, but while they were there, Anderson showed up. He saw the kids and he loved it, apparently saying, "Oh, you have little ones!" I don't believe Anderson dislikes kids, but they can get on your last nerve sometimes, and depending on the circumstance, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask parents to get them to tone it down a little, or take it elsewhere.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think that might have been Anderson, not Squire
    No, this story was definitely Squire, and it was at some sort of signing or record store appearance - something along those lines, anyway. I can't remember what thread it's in now, and it would be a needle in a haystack to find it (I tried, half-heartedly). Maybe the person who told the story (and witnessed it first hand) will see this and chime in.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I believe he stopped drinking for good around '85. In the YesYears doc, he says he's been 'teetotal for six years now, but I can remember the glory days'. He seems to be pretty merry in those Gastank programmes from '81/'82-ish.
    You're right - my mistake.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

No, this story was definitely Squire, and it was at some sort of signing or record store appearance - something along those lines, anyway. I can't remember what thread it's in now, and it would be a needle in a haystack to find it (I tried, half-heartedly). Maybe the person who told the story (and witnessed it first hand) will see this and chime in.
    OK, I don't recall anything like that here, but I generally don't follow Yes threads, so I could have missed it.

Bill

"But, daddy, why do they play so many notes? And don't these songs ever end?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I believe he stopped drinking for good around '85. In the YesYears doc, he says he's been 'teetotal for six years now, but I can remember the glory days'. He seems to be pretty merry in those Gastank programmes from '81/'82-ish.
    The band even poked fun of Wakeman for his drinking in the official Yes Tormato tour program, at least here in the States. At the back of the program there was a cartoon strip panel drawn where Wakeman is complaining that someone drank all of his Heineken's!

edit: Or whomever put the program together, but it was the official program sold at the US gigs for the Tormato tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    The band even poked fun of Wakeman for his drinking in the official Yes Tormato tour program, at least here in the States. At the back of the program there was a cartoon strip panel drawn where Wakeman is complaining that someone drank all of his Heineken's!
    "I want to tour bars!"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

So. This goes on hiatus until after the Rock Academy Tour starting soon?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Re: Union...I dig it. Saw the tour in Ottawa, loved it. "Miracle of Life" is a pretty kick ass tune. The chorus gets a bit repetitive but it has odd time shit, killer hooks, weird interlude with Jon going all "cha ka ka ba" with a cool and strange chorus part happening. Underappreciated tune imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    So. This goes on hiatus until after the Rock Academy Tour starting soon?
    There is no confirmation that this will ever happen again! I don't think this is a band in the traditional sense. It's an ad hoc arrangement between Jon and the Geeks that could (and hopefully will) be repeated. But Richie has talked about trying to book a west coast tour for late '23/early '24 and Jon appears up for more.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There is no confirmation that this will ever happen again! I don't think this is a band in the traditional sense. It's an ad hoc arrangement between Jon and the Geeks that could (and hopefully will) be repeated. But Richie has talked about trying to book a west coast tour for late '23/early '24 and Jon appears up for more.
    With Richie still being a full time member of Blue Oyster Cult, I don't see how the band geeks / Anderson could ever do extensive touring. B.O.C. has cut back a bit on their touring schedule as the guys have gotten older, but they are still on the road a good chunk of the year.

Looks like that classic band, "Yes Epics and Classics Featuring Jon Anderson" is headlining Day 4 of a music festival in Patchogue, NY:

Seems they could be sued for misusing the Yes name. The general format of the posting appears to be that band names are in large yellow type, so the "epics and classics" qualifier wouldn't get them off the hook, possibly.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like that classic band, "Yes Epics and Classics Featuring Jon Anderson" is headlining Day 4 of a music festival in Patchogue, NY:

That Sunday lineup in particular is fantastic if this is indeed Jon and the Band Geeks. I still have trouble believing how good they were together last year. I've not seen Justin Hayward since 1984 with the Moody Blues and I never got around to seeing Martin Barre with Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Seems they could be sued for misusing the Yes name. The general format of the posting appears to be that band names are in large yellow type, so the "epics and classics" qualifier wouldn't get them off the hook, possibly.
    Well at least Hayward and Barre have their names in the larger font, so the emphasis is on them. The headliner is just silly at this point - using these silly workarounds to have "Yes" being the prominent word on the marquee/sign. Since Anderson likes to say things like "I feel that I AM Yes" in interviews all the time, I don't think he could bring himself to confidently boast his name out there with a "formerly of Yes" or "original voice of Yes" subtitle.

Don't miss Martin Barre. Awesome preformance. That would be quite the evening with JA, Hayward and Barre. Wow!!!

Cool. Patchogue is the next town over. I'm so in.

Bad news. Just checkedf the Great South Bay Festival site for tickets. Anderson and the Geeks are now replaced by a TBA. Bummer. Barre is an interesting addition but not a stand alone draw for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    As far as I can make out, while official Yes may not be entirely happy about it, they're not interested in getting into a legal fight over such matters.

It is emblematic of the state of '70s prog that you get a line-up like this, three almost acts (with a tribute act opening for them). Barre can't call himself Jethro Tull and I think there was a legal tussle over how he was being billed? Hayward chooses not to call himself The Moody Blues (and presumably can't), but still needs the name for promotional purposes. Anderson can't claim to be just Yes, but skirts around this with heavy use of the Yes name in promo.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Bad news. Just checkedf the Great South Bay Festival site for tickets. Anderson and the Geeks are now replaced by a TBA. Bummer. Barre is an interesting addition but not a stand alone draw for me.
    Hopefully that's just a hiccough and Jon & Geeks will appear. We are expecting them to tour in 2024.

I would really love to see them. Judging by some YouTube videos they really aren't that far off from classic Yes.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I said it before, Jon and the Geeks were the best Yes show I've seen since the Masterworks tour. The energy was amazing.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I said it before, Jon and the Geeks were the best Yes show I've seen since the Masterworks tour. The energy was amazing.
    I agree. I've been going to Yes gigs since the Drama tour in 1980 and Jon and the Band Geeks is up there with my favorite Yes shows. So very good and much of down to energy and passion, not to mention whatever wizardry Anderson employs to sing like he does at almost 80 years of age. Remarkable.

Seeing 'official' Yes in 2022-23 was a very different experience. Fine but by comparison, perhpas call them Reluctant Yes. Steve's version would be so much better if they focused on the more recent era which has proven wonderful for their creating new music, the opposite of Jon Anderson there, but since they focus on the 70's Anderson material live, the weaknesses of the current band are more readily apparent in the live arena. Judging by the fact that I had no problem buying tickets on the same day for recent Yes shows, I'm not sure the classic era is bringing in the seats any longer, so why not play your cool new music to a 1000 spectators?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Hopefully that's just a hiccough and Jon & Geeks will appear. We are expecting them to tour in 2024.
    I'm thinking/hoping that the announcement was simply premature and that it will be officially announced later on (hopefully with many more dates).

And they have changed the TBA to now highlighting Jon's name: