Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rush are re-issuing "Signals"

Rush are re-issuing "Signals"

This news was expected, of course:
    https://www.rush.com/signals-40th-anniversary-release/

The Super Deluxe Edition includes one CD, one Blu-rayAudio, one high-quality 180-gram black–vinyl LP with new artwork from original album designer Hugh Syme in a premium tip-on jacket, and four 7-inch singles (“Subdivisions,” “Countdown,” “New World Man,” and “The Weapon (Single Edit”), all of them with new artwork from Syme. The set encompasses the Abbey Road Mastering Studios 2015 remastered edition of the album for the first time on CD. The Blu-ray Audio disc contains the core album newly mixed from the original multi-tracks in 48kHz 24-bit Dolby Atmos (the second Rush album to appear in Atmos, following Moving Pictures) and 96kHz 24-bit Dolby TrueHD 5.1 as done by esteemed producer/engineer Richard Chycki, alongside the previously available 48kHz 24-bit PCM Stereo mix. Also included on the Blu-ray are new animated visualizers for all eight songs, as well as two bonus remastered vintage promo videos: the high-school halls narrative of “Subdivisions” and “Countdown,” the latter of which features authorized Space Shuttle Columbia launch footage. Additionally, the LP in the Super Deluxe Edition has been cut via half-speed Direct Metal Mastering (the second Rush album to have been done as such, again following Moving Pictures) on a 180-gram audiophile black-vinyl LP, and it has been pressed at GZ Media in the Czech Republic.

The Super Deluxe Edition of Signals-40th Anniversary will also include several exclusive items, including a 40-page hardcover book with new song illustrations and new artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme and unreleased photos from the Signals Tour, along with three lenticular lithographs that transition from the original black-and-white band headshots into the original album’s “Digital Man” color headshots; four SignalsTour band lithographs; Syme’s original album cover sketch lithograph; and a double-sided 24x24-inch poster featuring Syme’s new Signals artwork on one side, and an outtake photo from the original album cover shoot on the other side. All contents are housed in a premium lift-top box, which features significantly reimagined cover artwork by Hugh Syme.

The second configuration Signals-40th Anniversary will be released in is a one-LP Picture Disc Edition. The picture disc is housed in a transparent plastic sleeve, and it showcases new Hugh Syme artwork on both album sides.

Finally, the third configuration, the Dolby Atmos Digital Edition, is the digital equivalent of Richard Chycki’s expert Atmos mix of all eight tracks from the original album.
    All I really want to listen is Atmos version of this album... But I have all the box-sets from 1977 to 1981, so might as well ending with with buying this...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This set is a disgrace. For a band with massive live archives, they sure don't release all that much. Why isn't there a full live show from the Signals tour on here? The only music on this set is the original album (twice, 2015 stereo and surround). The vinyl and 45s are nice, but again, same songs, and personally, I think I have all those original 45s. Also, there is already a 5.1 mix of Signals out there on the Sector 3 boxed set. Yes, Atmos is better, but you get my point. And $229 for this?! Ridiculous.

I love Rush, but their track record for these deluxe box sets isn't great. At least there are no cover bands on this one.
    Chad

Huge pass. I love the album and know it like the back of my hand, but I tried a few of these modern reissues and ended up selling them, much preferring my original CD releases (the older the better, actually, pre-remaster series whenever possible). For one thing, I loathe the changed artwork. These are classic albums with classic artwork! Secondly, most of the bonus filler was worthless to me (cover versions of Rush songs? How fun... once only.) And it looks like this new one for Signals doesn't even have a live show included, which tended to be the one feature of these deluxe editions I did like. Reading that blurb about what is included just comes across as a whole lot of nothing to me.

I do like a good reissue, but the Rush ones just don't feel like improvements to me, having absorbed every note of them to the extent that I have. Good for newer fans, I suppose.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    And $229 for this?! Ridiculous.
    If you lived in Europe this set would set you back for even more money - German distribution asks €265 for this.
    The previous box set was rich, but there was no proper essay about the album - just words of appreciation from different musicians. Okay, at least it had the full concert (although they should have added a full unedited video for "Exit...", IMO).
    This one... Nothing to really talk about, except the mentioned Atmos.

I'm taking this event as a definitive answer that there was never ever never NEVER a soundboard recording made during the lengthy New World Tour

what a shame

they could have included both NA and Euro versions of the Camera Eye!~

this set is totally lame but of course I bought it

I'll stick with my Countdown To London bootleg then which for an audience recording sounds very good.

This set is a disgrace. For a band with massive live archives, they sure don't release all that much. Why isn't there a full live show from the Signals tour on here?
    Yeah, color me disappointed. I'm not shelling out for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'll stick with my Countdown To London bootleg then which for an audience recording sounds very good.
    Ditto!

snore.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This kind of bullsh*t really gives me a newfound appreciation for someone like Ian Anderson, who despite being a profit-minded kind of guy, at least prices his deluxe sets very reasonably. And actually gives us a lot of great stuff that we want on those boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    This kind of bullsh*t really gives me a newfound appreciation for someone like Ian Anderson, who despite being a profit-minded kind of guy, at least prices his deluxe sets very reasonably. And actually gives us a lot of great stuff that we want on those boxes.
    I agree - for me Anderson and Robert Fripp are the gold standard in how to put together and set a price for this type of set.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I agree - for me Anderson and Robert Fripp are the gold standard in how to put together and set a price for this type of set.
    Keep your eyes on the George Harrison estate. They are poised for new expanded releases of George's albums and planning to open up the archives. If the recent ATMP box is any indication, they should be pretty great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Keep your eyes on the George Harrison estate. They are poised for new expanded releases of George's albums and planning to open up the archives. If the recent ATMP box is any indication, they should be pretty great.
    Thnx for the heads up!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Yeah, not really any "extras" on this one. I'll pass. I skipped Hemispheres as well. I've got Farewell, PeW, and MP sets on vinyl, mostly for the live stuff. And I've still got my 12'' single of NWM from 1982 with the live Vital Signs on the flip.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Thnx for the heads up!
    333287885_2836652466472138_1303076566512719086_n.jpg

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think the team behind DSOTM50 must have worked on this box.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Am I correct that the original album was mixed digitally with 16/44.1 resolution just like Moving Pictures? If so, then the 24/48 version is faux-hi res.

Very disappointed that there are no live tracks, but I guess they had no sources to work with.

I suppose that since they'd just done their second live double, it wasn't time yet for another pro live recording.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wouldn't fondle this cheap whore if it begged me to. This offers nothing to someone who a) has the original CD, b) no longer has a turntable, and 3) has no 5.1 setup. Except maybe the Atmos mix. I've asked it before, but I think I missed an answer to this question: Do you need any special equipment to play an Atmos recording? I have equipment that predates Atmos, so is this stuff my equipment wouldn't be able to decode or whatever? WHAT DO YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO AN ATMOS RECORDING?

(Sorry to anyone who might have answered this previously.)

Even though I now can believe that they changed the cover art (did they change the BACK COVER art? I LOVED that architectural drawing with all the Rush references in it!), I was flabbergasted when I got that email yesterday and saw that they had changed the cover art. WTF is the point of that? I think the only possible reason for that is they thought the new cover art would make some people buy the set just for that. But I doubt anyone will. I don't think there's ANY situation where that new cover art will help influence a sale.

Amazing album....top 5 Rash.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was flabbergasted when I got that email yesterday and saw that they had changed the cover art. WTF is the point of that?
    They've done that for all of these anniversary editions, and they are all a thumbs-down from me. Like I said earlier, you don't mess with classic album artwork like these. They should be on the inside of the package IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Jed - I only have a fairly cheap 5.1 system, but Atmos mixes do seem to sound better than regular 5.1...though I'm sure on my set-up I'm not getting the 'true' Atmos mix. I don't think you need a special player for Atmos - just a 7.1 speaker set-up (with the 2 extra speakers being mounted on the ceiling). Experts may feel free to jump in and correct my assumptions! --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by helixhelix View Post
    I'm taking this event as a definitive answer that there was never ever never NEVER a soundboard recording made during the lengthy New World Tour

what a shame

they could have included both NA and Euro versions of the Camera Eye!~

this set is totally lame but of course I bought it
    There may be raw soundboard recordings from that tour, but no multitracks to enable them to do a proper live mix. While many of us would gladly take a solid soundboard mix, a lot of people would think it sounded like a bootleg.

I'm still very disappointed though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Jed - I only have a fairly cheap 5.1 system, but Atmos mixes do seem to sound better than regular 5.1...though I'm sure on my set-up I'm not getting the 'true' Atmos mix. I don't think you need a special player for Atmos - just a 7.1 speaker set-up (with the 2 extra speakers being mounted on the ceiling). Experts may feel free to jump in and correct my assumptions! --Peter
    Thanks, Peter! Well, there's not way I'm going to get speakers mounted on the ceiling, so I guess unless I go 5.1 at some point, it's regular old stereophonic sound for me. So yeah, this reissue is completely unnecessary for me. Which is A-OK. I still remember all the details of my very first listen to Signals with my friend Mark on release day. All I need are those memories and my Signals stereo CD. And this thermos.

This set is a disgrace. For a band with massive live archives, they sure don't release all that much. Why isn't there a full live show from the Signals tour on here? The only music on this set is the original album (twice, 2015 stereo and surround). The vinyl and 45s are nice, but again, same songs, and personally, I think I have all those original 45s. Also, there is already a 5.1 mix of Signals out there on the Sector 3 boxed set. Yes, Atmos is better, but you get my point. And $229 for this?! Ridiculous.

I love Rush, but their track record for these deluxe box sets isn't great. At least there are no cover bands on this one.

Fear not. Concert and Boxset prices will drop in 2024. Since C-19, concert prices thru roof. Why? Although it's not talked about. Businesses (who qualify) have been able to write of $28,000 per employee/per year ...in payroll taxes. Since then, Airplane first-class flights full, concert tickets expensive, ect. But, The Government is cutting back this Rich Welfare Program. Concert prices should drop by the end of 2024.

The math? Normally, American consumers spend 175 billion dollars a month. Government has been adding 25 billion dollars a month to businesses (Business payroll tax Refunds) ..for two years. Trump started program under the CARES ACT. Biden continued it. Adding 25 billion a billion each month (to top 5% wealthy ) accelerates inflation. That said, the last four months have seen the Fed cut back 3 billion per-month. So it's going away....
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 03-04-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Do we all agree that the King Crimson and Jethro Tull box sets are the gold standard benchmark?

Man, why is Rush failing to deliver value for the price? New artwork? Why? I used to love looking at the original artwork and sleeve inserts while listening to the vinyl. The original artwork is/was perfect! Goddammit, stop, Rush.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015