Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Lands - New music for 2023 (Fearless Pt. II)

The eons are closing
    Not that zeroth law shit....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The “If life is a wheel, please let it spin” part of “Context: Fearless Pt. I” sounds right off of SOME late-era Rush album - maybe Clockwork M-Fing Angels. In fact, I can't remember exactly which track, but one of the later tracks on the album has a passage that to my ears sounded quite a bit like '80s Rush. I know that seems strange, but it was there, but because it's played with their regular sound pallet it doesn't sound as weird as you might think. It worked. I hope I didn't imagine this - I'm pretty sure it was there!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-14-2023 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Not that zeroth law shit....
    But … humanity.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Picked up White Buffalo. It’s as good as Fearless.

The more listen the more I like. White Buffalo is a great precursor to Fearless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    The more listen the more I like. White Buffalo is a great precursor to Fearless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    White Buffalo is such a great tune! Be sure to catch their video as well. It's fun! I really hope these guys are able to come to the States for a tour soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    White Buffalo is such a great tune! Be sure to catch their video as well. It's fun! I really hope these guys are able to come to the States for a tour soon.
    My first impression of White Buffalo was that the title track is excellent, but the rest, for my own personal taste, sounded too much like Zeppelin and not enough like Rush (or not enough of something else). The title track seems to have more of the band's own sound, while still sounding somewhat like Zep and Rush. The influences are still clear, but both are equally present but are blended better.

Need more listens I guess.

I picked up the Fearless album last week. The main opus is clearly nod to 2112. I found as the album went on there were fewer Rush plagiarisms.

The guys are clearly talented, great vocals, great musicians. But with bands like this I can understand them wanting to pay tribute to the band or bands that influenced them, but I would like to hear more original stuff after the first few albums.

I'm sure they are more than capable of it and would surely have some original ideas/concepts they want to make, once they have got the homage type stuff out of their system.

I do like the Fearless album though. It's growing on me with successive listens. Might check out some of the other albums too.

Free show Canada Day July 1, Surrey (Cloverdale) BC. Also on the bill, Broken Social Scene and Neon Dreams. I'm barely familiar with any of them, but I'll go and check them out.
    I remember tomorrow

A deluxe edition of Fearless was released on streaming sites and fancy download sites today. Not clear on if there’s any deluxe physical release. It includes live and instrumental material.

^They posted to social media but didn’t include a link for purchase. I think it’s streaming/DL only.

It's not really anything to get excited about...

I'll probably pick up the live tracks at some point. (Are any of those Bandcamp pages actually run by the band? I'd rather DL there than elsewhere.) I'm happy to help support this band, but you're right. Nothing to get too excited about.

I'm not entirely sure what on Bandcamp is them vs their label. Hopefully they can record the next studio album fairly soon without rushing things (ha-ha), so they can make money to stay afloat and also so they can keep us kids interested.

Those live tracks are pretty damn good especially if you like fat, crackling synth bass (and who doesn't!).

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Those live tracks are pretty damn good especially if you like fat, crackling synth bass (and who doesn't!).
    The guitair/bass/keyboardist is active on reddit and has described playing the bass parts as his favorite thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    The guitair/bass/keyboardist is active on reddit and has described playing the bass parts as his favorite thing to do!
    The bass parts on the live tracks are awesome. There’s just a joy that infuses this music. It’s quite obvious how much they enjoy what they’re doing.

I’ve finally had a chance to digest the live tracks. There is more than enough to justify the purchase. The reworked “Citadel,” featuring a new closing section, is worth the price alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Or Lost Rush, to pull in the people who confused Crown Lands with Lost Crowns.
    Well, I'll take Lost Crowns over Crown Lands, anytime....
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Crown Lands also appear on a couple of long tracks by David Barrett Trio, here's one:

Written by David Barrett

Arranged by Barrett, Comeau, Bowles, and Brown

David Barrett: 6 and 12 string electric guitar, acoustic guitar, steel guitar, mellotron
    Kevin Comeau: Bass, 12 string electric guitar, bass pedals, mini Moog
    Cody J.R. Bowles: drums, percussion, wind chimes, Korg wavedrum

Recorded by Justin Meli, assisted by Colton Maddigan at Chalet Sound
    Mixed by Terry Brown at Blue Sound
    Mastered by Peter J. Moore at the E Room
    Album design Hothouse Creative Inc.

Produced by Terry Brown
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was playing a few CW tracks today on my morning walk. Damn, I am a believer now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They've just landed the opening slot on Kiss' final tour of Canada. Regardless of what you may think of Kiss, that's huge news for these guys!

cd.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They've just landed the opening slot on Kiss' final tour of Canada. Regardless of what you may think of Kiss, that's huge news for these guys!

cd.jpg
    Kind of fitting because Rush supported Kiss in their early days

Great news for the band! I wish them well. Kiss, too, I guess.

cd.jpg
    Pretty cool to be the opener on the final Kiss tour across Canada and Gene will be having flashbacks I'm sure. Love the stories he told about the Rush guys opening for them back in the 70's. Funny stuff.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I went to the two previous Kiss 'Farewell' tours. Think I'll skip this one and wait for the next one.

kiss.jpg