Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the first CD in your collection, alphabetically? What's the last?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's horrendous, how dark is that Floyd album? Can't remember! Oh crap.
    But he was wired in a way that did always did remember! That’s part of the inscrutable charm of it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Is Ten Years After anywhere near 10cc?
    Yep. I treat numerals as if they were spelled out, so 21st Century Schizoid Band is between Tuxedomoon and Tyrannosaurus Rex.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

So, according to my database here are the first few artists in my collection:

21st Century Schizoid Band
    3 (Emerson, Berry, Palmer)
    3 (The other one)
    3rd Degree

For those of you not into the numerical thing:

A Fine Frenzy
    A-Ha
    A.C. Newman
    A.C.T.

For those not into the "A" or abbreviations or acronyms:

Abel Ganz
    Aisles

The last few:

Zebra
    Zenit
    Zombi
    Zonder Wehrkamp

Do you file Captain Beefheart under C or B?

How about Jethro Tull?

How about Elton John (also a made-up name)?

How about Egon Bondy? Captain Beyond? Sir Mix-a-Lot?
    Captain Beefheart, I supppose under C
    Jethro Tull under J, becasue it's the name of the band, ter is no Jethro Tull in the band.
    Elton John under J, because it's the name of a person, even if it isn't his real name.
    Captain Beyond is a band name I think, so under C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Captain Beefheart, I suppose under C
    Jethro Tull under J, because it's the name of the band, there is no Jethro Tull in the band.
    Elton John under J, because it's the name of a person, even if it isn't his real name.
    Explain your contradiction here.

According to Poweramp o my phone:

First 10Cc - 10Cc
    Last Zopp - Zopp

Explain your contradiction here.
    Wich contradiction? Captain is not a first name. My music dictionaries also put him under C.
    Jethro Tull is a band, there is no person naming himself Jethro Tull in the band.
    Elton John is one person, using this name. So under J, just like in music dictionaries.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wich contradiction? Captain is not a first name. My music dictionaries also put him under C.
    Jethro Tull is a band, there is no person naming himself Jethro Tull in the band.
    Elton John is one person, using this name. So under J, just like in music dictionaries.
    I agree, I'd personally file all those the same way, the difference is Jethro Tull refers to a group of people as a band whereas Elton John is one person using a pseudonym
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree, I'd personally file all those the same way, the difference is Jethro Tull refers to a group of people as a band whereas Elton John is one person using a pseudonym
    One might say Ian Anderson is Jethro Tull, but still, he doesn't use that name for himself.

I'm still in the process of putting my cds in alphabetical order. I think I'm only up to the D's or E's now. The first one is maybe Ad Astra (a very obscure but very good US prog-fusion band).

Edit: Looking back I realize I have cds by A.C.T. and Abel Ganz so those would be ahead of Ad Astra.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-04-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Which contradiction? Captain is not a first name. My music dictionaries also put him under C.
    That's a contradiction. Don Vliet called himself "Captain Beefheart" so, unlike Tull, there was a guy in the band with that name. Just because "Captain" is a title, like Lieutenant or Sargeant or Corporal or Doctor or Officer, these people still put their last names on the breast pockets of their uniforms.

Anyone putting Captain Beefheart on the 'B' shelf is a lunatic and should be avoided for personal safety reasons.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love how that has turned into a debate on how to file alphabetically...totally Prog!

Nerds be nerdin'.

That's a contradiction. Don Vliet called himself "Captain Beefheart" so, unlike Tull, there was a guy in the band with that name. Just because "Captain" is a title, like Lieutenant or Sargeant or Corporal or Doctor or Officer, these people still put their last names on the breast pockets of their uniforms.
    Might be, still music dictionaries put him under C, so...
    He is not an army officer and Captain is not his first name, so I consider it part of his stage name. Dr. Hook would also be filed under D and not under H, just like Dr. John the Nighttripper.

FWIW, I never worry about this stuff. I've been buying more classical so I do think sometimes about whether to store records by composer or performer, or what to do if a record has compositions by multiple composers.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    FWIW, I never worry about this stuff. I've been buying more classical so I do think sometimes about whether to store records by composer or performer, or what to do if a record has compositions by multiple composers.
    That is something I sometimes have to think about as well.
    Mostly I put them under composer and if there is a work by another composer added, I put it under the composer I bought the album for. So The Planets by Holst, which is expanded with some stuff from John Williams for Star Wars is under H for Holst.
    If there are more composers and one performer, or group of performers, I put it under the performers name. That's also done with synthesizerplayers, even if the play a work by one composer.
    If it has several composers and several performers, it's at the end with all other collections.

He is not an army officer and Captain is not his first name, so I consider it part of his stage name.
    You mean like "Elton John"?

Hey, how about Various Artists. Where do y'all file your compilations?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    After Z
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If box sets count, then it's AC/DC - Bonfire
    Zephyr - Live at Art's Bar and Grill, May 2, 1973
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

A Piedi Nudi - ZZ Top
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Hey, how about Various Artists. Where do y'all file your compilations?
    By the title.

People who can answer this confidently have their stuff better organised than I do. But I think the answer is:

Eivind Aarset - Electronique Noir
    ZZ Top - Tejas

Possibly heresy, but I’m pretty sure I’ve had more fun listening to ZZ Top than Eivind Aarset.

Brian Eno, with or without his forename, and his various collaborations cause various problems.

How about June 1, 1974 by John Cale, Kevin Ayers, Nico and Brian Eno?

I suppose none of you actually have any albums with Øresund Space Collective ?

https://da-dk.facebook.com/OresundSpaceCollective/

Ø comes after Z.