Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Wilson posted an interesting quote on Twitter regarding his new solo album:

"Myself and Ninet Tayeb recently recorded a new song together for my work in progress next album The Harmony Codex, to be released in 2023. In the meantime here’s a reminder of us in the studio in 2017 recording ‘Pariah’, with one of those incredible spine tingling Ninet moments!"

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/s...28783033118720

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Ninet is phenomenal. We were at the Beacon show when she "heroically" (to quote Rolling Stone) took over lead vocals from SW due to his illness.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Ninet is phenomenal. We were at the Beacon show when she "heroically" (to quote Rolling Stone) took over lead vocals from SW due to his illness.
    I was there too. Great show and very unique.

I love Ninet's contributions to his previous albums, so I'm happy to see she's back in the mix.

I saw the TBT tour, but unfortunately not one of the shows where Ninet was present.

I was reading an article online somewhere that described the new album as a 54 minute conceptual rock epic. I think I can get onboard with that.

Ninet's solo albums are pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I was reading an article online somewhere that described the new album as a 54 minute conceptual rock epic. I think I can get onboard with that.
    This is interesting. A concept album based on an SF short story with at least one song featuring Ninet seems very promising. I couldn't get into the short story on which its based in his autobiography, and I am a frequent reader of SF. I may have been in the wrong frame of mind at the time. I'll try again.

That said, I'm optimistic about the direction of this new album.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This popped up in my FB feed:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ste...lbum-next-year

He uses terms like "epic and uncompromising" and "complex and unpredictable" but then states it will fall somewhere between TFB and H.C.E.

Sounds interesting but this is coming from a guy who once announced he was going to infuse jazz elements into his next recording (Grace For Drowning) and then didn't. So we'll see. I like HCE. TFB, for all it's hyped ambition, came across as an attempt at a Gotye album, meaning that it wasn't terribly original or adventurous. It did at least usher in a new PT album.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Sounds interesting but this is coming from a guy who once announced he was going to infuse jazz elements into his next recording (Grace For Drowning) and then didn't.
    He said one song on GFD was going to feature jazz elements ("Raider II"), not the whole album.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

This popped up in my FB feed:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ste...lbum-next-year

He uses terms like "epic and uncompromising" and "complex and unpredictable" but then states it will fall somewhere between TFB and H.C.E.

Sounds interesting but this is coming from a guy who once announced he was going to infuse jazz elements into his next recording (Grace For Drowning) and then didn't. So we'll see. I like HCE. TFB, for all it's hyped ambition, came across as an attempt at a Gotye album, meaning that it wasn't terribly original or adventurous. It did at least usher in a new PT album.
    What do you consider "jazz elements"?

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    What do you consider "jazz elements"?
    Jazzy stuff. I'm no musician. I made a similar statement about 8 or 9 years ago and I'm sure musician and muso alike can attest to the (very) subtle jazz elements in GFD and The Raven but to me they sounded like everything else Wilson had been involved in.

Both David Bowie and David Byrne had made similar statements about music they were working on (Blackstar and Love This Giant respectively). Both works instantly evoke "jazz". Might have been naive of me to expect something overtly 'jazz' because someone used the word 'jazz' but like I said, I'm not a musician, just an end user.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    He said one song on GFD was going to feature jazz elements ("Raider II"), not the whole album.
    Parts of "Raider II" sound pretty jazzy to me in a Crimson sort of way.

Raven-Wilson's album after Grace- had oodles of jazz elements. Maybe Wilson's jazz ideas migrated from Grace to Raven?

Nic France (a jazz drummer) is the main drummer on GfD. I always thought that Remainder The Black Dog had some jazzy elements to it (in addition to Raider II) and France's drums had a lot to do with that impression for me.

If I try hard I can hear subtle jazz elements but they're still subtle. Wilson's solo albums up through Raven weren't a drastic departure from his last two or three PT albums (up to that point). Comparatively speaking. PT's albums from On The Sunday of Life thru In Absentia were all very different from one another.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    According to the recent Beato interview with Stephen, don't expect a progressive rock album.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    According to the recent Beato interview with Stephen, don't expect a progressive rock album.
    True. From what he says, don't expect another The Future Bites, either. I'm more excited about this one, personally.

Neil

PT's albums from On The Sunday of Life thru In Absentia were all very different from one another.
    This is one reason I've never understood why SW only thinks PT plays a very specific style (i.e. the In Absentia through The Incident sound), which he even states in more recent interviews. And I agree - I think PT has shown over it's lifespan that it can sound like anything the band wants it to - OTSOL sounds very different than Voyage 34, which sounds very different than Stupid Dream, which sounds very different than Fear of a Blank Planet.

So at least in my mind, I don't understand why he limits PT today to a specific sound, and uses the rest of his songwriting for other outlets. I used to think it was because he didn't like the members of PT any longer (save Harrison, who he continued to make music with). But since they continued working on the most recent PT album starting way back in 2012, that's clearly not true either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    I used to think it was because he didn't like the members of PT any longer (save Harrison, who he continued to make music with).
    I must have missed post-2010 Wilson/Harrison collaborations, doesn't ring any bells to me. Gavin did play a couple of songs at a SW concert at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    True. From what he says, don't expect another The Future Bites, either. I'm more excited about this one, personally.
    Same here, although he seems to be in this "the more I piss off 'fans', the happier I am" phase. So I'll expect the next one to be closer to TFB than The Raven or Porky Tree, for two reasons: 1, it'll get that kind of reaction. And 2, he probably feels like TFB never got a fair chance to be appreciated because of Covid. Plus he reiterated that he's currently still more interested in writing new music that's based on keyboard textures rather than guitar (or bass, as with C/C).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    I must have missed post-2010 Wilson/Harrison collaborations, doesn't ring any bells to me. Gavin did play a couple of songs at a SW concert at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago.
    I thought there was more, but he did play on the Storm Corrosion album (2012). For some reason the Insurgentes album seems to me like it's post-PT, and he was also on that. But that came out in '09, just prior to The Incident. So I guess there's just one instance on record of them playing together post PT.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Same here, although he seems to be in this "the more I piss off 'fans', the happier I am" phase.
    He's never happy.
    The last time I saw him, he complained at one point that too many in the crowd were sitting.
    A prior time that I saw him, he told them that they were going to play something (I forget which tune) that demanded full attention, so people should stay quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He's never happy.
    The last time I saw him, he complained at one point that too many in the crowd were sitting.
    A prior time that I saw him, he told them that they were going to play something (I forget which tune) that demanded full attention, so people should stay quiet.
    The last time I saw him (the first show of the recent PT tour), he didn't complain about anything. And he only said that people could stand for a song, or two, if they wanted. And I was quite happy when he told people to not chit-chatter away and give attention to Raider II (at least, that's the song he said to, when I heard it). I didn't view that as complaining and I wish that more concerts were like that.

Neil

Autobuy for me!

He said in the Beato chat that it will be over an hour of continuous music, passing through several genres and styles. He pointed out classic albums like Dark Side of the Moon offer up a stylistic variety (gospel, funk, rock, music concrete) without sticking to one genre and that he is totally done with worries of what genre something he writes might fall in. So it could be pretty diverse. How well he conjures up other genres remains to be seen but I like the "no limits" approach.