Thread: Jethro Tull Releasing New Album in 2023

Jethro Tull Releasing New Album in 2023

From their Official FB page: The band have finished work on the 23rd Jethro Tull album. Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief has just completed the surround sound mixes and an alternative stereo mix too. Out in the Spring of 2023. Stay tuned for more info….

I very much hope that it's an improvement on Zealot Gene as that is probably my least favourite album released under the JT name.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I very much hope that it's an improvement on Zealot Gene as that is probably my least favourite album released under the JT name.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

ZG actually exceeded my expectations by a fair amount. Granted, those were not very high, but still... After the IMHO lifeless and tedious "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson" records, ZG was a pleasant surprise. So I'm looking forward to it.

Now if he would just play a decent helping of the new stuff live...

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    From their Official FB page: The band have finished work on the 23rd Jethro Tull album. Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief has just completed the surround sound mixes and an alternative stereo mix too. Out in the Spring of 2023. Stay tuned for more info….
    Does Steven Wilson know about this??

Neil

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that a new album was forthcoming. I had actually just relistened to ZG after several months and found that I still enjoyed it.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Any chance it will be an instrumental album? Or that Ian gives up the vocal duties for someone who can actually sing these days?

I liked ZG, but miss MB's guitar playing and heavy riffs.
    I'll definitely get this new one.

The upcoming album is reported to consist of material written since TZG.
    Whatever happened to the five (or more) new songs performed on the 2015 Jethro Tull (The Rock Opera) tour?
    Are these still unreleased or have they been reworked with new titles on TZG or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ZG actually exceeded my expectations by a fair amount. Granted, those were not very high, but still... After the IMHO lifeless and tedious "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson" records, ZG was a pleasant surprise. So I'm looking forward to it.
    I agree. Solid lyrics. I'd like more spurts of energetic instrumentation. A tad too tame.

I liked TZG more than I had expected to. I'm not familiar with JT's output since the 80s, and I won't compare TZG to the 70s classics, but I think it stands on its own as an enjoyable album. Besides the obvious limitations of IA's voice, which don't really bother me in a studio offering, my frustration has to do with the rather lifeless instrumentation. A small sense of groove in the rythm section would be welcome. But I'm not expecting much in that department for the next release, unless IA decided to let the music breathe a little more or used an outside producer.

Holy crap, for a moment I thought Bruce Soord of the Pineapple Thief was the title of the album
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

This should tie in nicely to the band's induction into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame next year--it better!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't believe there's not a Broadsword thread!

Can someone list the personnel in this, aside from Ian and Martin? Maybe that's Pegg, but the keyboard player and drummer?

That's Peter-John Vettese on keyboards, Dave Pegg on bass, and I believe Gerry Conway on drums

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Looks like then-Fairport drummer Bruce Rowland was sitting in for the video miming.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Whoever the drummer is, he cracks me up with how serious he looks. And I've never seen Vettese before!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

Neil
    Too expensive. But that reminds me, Pineapple Thief is a band I need to sample more.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

Neil

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Too expensive. But that reminds me, Pineapple Thief is a band I need to sample more.
    Apparently TPT has reworked songs and rereleased them in Atmos or 5.1. That would indicate that Bruce Soord of TPT has demoed his capability with Ian Anderson, leading to getting this job.

Give It Back’ will be released as a 2 disc CD & Blu-ray (Audio - Hi-res Stereo/DTS-HD MA 5.1/Dolby Atmos), CD, black vinyl LP and digitally and is available to pre-order now.

Bruce about his studio:

‘When I’m not working on The Pineapple Thief or my own solo material, I like to work with other artists – both emerging and established. I’ve mixed bands from all over the world and because of that, sessions are usually completed remotely. This isn’t as detached as it sounds though. I keep in touch throughout the mixing process and mixes are nearly always signed off with only a couple of revisions.

I work in partnership with Steve Kitch, who takes care of all my mastering needs.’

The studio setup to mix in full range 5.1 surround and 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. The room has been calibrated by Dolby.

Dolby Atmos is supported by Apple Music, Tidal and Amazon Music HD.

5.1 Surround mixes can be supplied in downloadable ‘Flac’ format, or in DTS authored to DVD-V.
    https://brucesoord.com/about/
    Last edited by Firth; 12-19-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Looking forward to the new Tull album. The ZG was a very nice album. I do hope for more heavy guitar work this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't believe there's not a Broadsword thread!

Can someone list the personnel in this, aside from Ian and Martin? Maybe that's Pegg, but the keyboard player and drummer?

I saw that tour. Saga was the opener.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenralph View Post
    Looking forward to the new Tull album. The ZG was a very nice album. I do hope for more heavy guitar work this time.
    That, and better artwork. The front cover of ZG makes me want to puke!