Thread: David Torn's Cloud About Mercury- First Impressions

David Torn's Cloud About Mercury- First Impressions

This week my friend Vaylor heard David Torn's Cloud About Mercury for the first time. He wasn't really familiar with David until he started digging and then realized he's heard him on a lot of albums over the years. We look at some and I suggest some projects David was part of besides this one. Of course, the Achilles' heel is Bruford's dated Simmons electric drum sounds. That said, this album just wouldn't be what it is without them, and we acknowledge that.

Any fans of this album? What is it about it that appeals to you? When did you first hear it?

"Vaylor is all about ECM. Sean is torn about drum sounds (get it?) We make a brief stop in Oslo by way of Los Angeles."
    Last edited by Sean; 11-12-2022 at 01:49 AM.

My first Torn album.
    I bought it as a used cd a long time ago. The Bruford connection made it a buy at the time.
    A real eye opener.
    3 Minutes of Pure Entertainment is one of my absolute favorite pieces of music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Of course, the Achilles' heel is Bruford's dated Simmons electric drum sounds.
    Could not disagree more. I want to say that they sound organic, and I likely deserve some hoots for saying so. But they do! For the music being made, they make absolutely sense (which, as you say, you acknowledged). Bruford never sounded better with electronic drums than on this set. In fact, I'm not sure electronic drumming ever sounded better than I this set (I suspect I should revisit some '00s Crimson right away!).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yeah, the e-drums never bothered me on this side at all. Something about Torn's sound and the overall ECM-ishness of the production makes it sound all of a piece to my ears. Love this record.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Following Bruford I heard this album when it was released.
    I like it, and Brufords tuned percussion fits the music, allthough I prefer him on a regular kit.

This is a perfect album. I’m okay with Bruford’s E-drums. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In general I'm not a fan of e-drums, but this and the first Earthworks albums are examples of where they're put to good effect, with the ABWH live album at the extreme opposite end of the scale, IMO.

B.L.U.E. did a great job with 3MOPE.

I recall reading that both Bruford and Levin had bugged Torn about the possibility of remixing the Mercury album to make the bass more prominent. I'd like to see that happen.

Around the time I bought this album I happened to hear this show that featured it, plus a lot of other interesting stuff including an in-studio Torn improv:
    https://www.newsounds.org/story/6487...table-composer A well-played cassette of this show is somewhere in my stash of little-used cassettes.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 11-12-2022 at 08:00 PM.

I need to give it a fresh spin. But I played the whole album in the car three years ago after buying the ECM reissue and I really dug the music and the sound of the record. Two weeks ago I was in a used bookstore and I found a copy of Polytown. I've never been disappointed with anything on the CMP label and this one was no exception.

E-drums used to bother me but not anymore as I feel they are integral part of the sound of the album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I recall reading that both Bruford and Levin had bugged Torn about the possibility of remixing the Mercury album to make the bass more prominent. I'd like to see that happen.
    Would be interesting to hear. And if they would find a good recording from on of the live-shows with Mick Karn replacing Levin I would be delighted!

It's always a treat when tracks from CAM shuffle up. Of its era more than timeless, but still a worthy listen. THOSE DAG-NABBED ELECTRONIC DRUMS!!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Would be interesting to hear. And if they would find a good recording from on of the live-shows with Mick Karn replacing Levin I would be delighted!
    https://www.innerviews.org/inner/torn1.html. Levin was brought in to substitute for Karn in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    David Torn: guitars/effects/electric koto
    Mark Isham: Trumpet/Keyboards
    Bill Bruford: Drums/ Electronic Percussion
    Mick Karn: bass

Super nice video, thanks!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    David Torn: guitars/effects/electric koto
    Mark Isham: Trumpet/Keyboards
    Bill Bruford: Drums/ Electronic Percussion
    Mick Karn: bass

I watched this tv-show when it was aired in Germany and got a copy on DVD. But the quality isn't what one would release officially (copy of copy of ...), so maybe the original recording lies in an archive at the WDR somewhere.

I remember this from the 80s. Was WAY into 80s Crim at the time, and my bro-in-law was a Bruford disciple, so we were all over anything with Bruford and/or Levin. It's been a LONG time since I listened to this. On my list...