Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autobahn - Electronic Masterpiece or Farcical Novelty

Banned

Autobahn - Electronic Masterpiece or Farcical Novelty

I was fortunate enough to purchase Kraftwerks' 4th studio album in late 1974, shortly after its release. My first impression was positive, and I liked what I heard, especially being a newbie when it came to electronic music. I had purchased a couple of TD releases and was moving forward into other progressive electronic output, but this was somewhat of an anomaly, at least for me. The historical aspect of the famous German super-highway also made it an interesting focal point in my fledgling Prog Rock collection.

After several listening sessions, I started to view this album as a monotonous and repetitive experiment with laughable, fluff lyrics. Particularly side two was a waste of time, from my standpoint. It no longer held my interest as it did upon first listenings and I eventually retired it from my active inventory.

Looking back in time, what do you think? Was I too naive and myopic to appreciate what Florian and Ralf were doing here? Or, is this album actually a lot of silly repetition and bland musical experimentation?

It is neither an electronic masterpiece nor a farcical novelty. Kraftwerk's first two albums, "Kraftwerk" and "Kraftwerk 2," were interesting experimental music (with a lot flute). By the time of their third, "Ralf & Florian," they'd developed a voice and started making some very interesting music. Side one of "Autobahn" I think continues that tradition, and it remains worthy of the occasional spin. The title track however was what I would guess was a lark, a musical joke, a finger in the eye of the musical press and buying public who couldn't figure out what to make of Kraftwerk 1, 2 or 3. It was never meant to be taken seriously....

And unfortunately the sales it garnered meant that Kraftwerk were lured into producing more of the stuff. They hated it so much they pretended to be robots playing it. And the public ate it up.

So the album is a turning point, a cliff off of which a promising band fell. Most of what followed was dire in extremis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It is neither an electronic masterpiece nor a farcical novelty. Kraftwerk's first two albums, "Kraftwerk" and "Kraftwerk 2," were interesting experimental music (with a lot flute). By the time of their third, "Ralf & Florian," they'd developed a voice and started making some very interesting music. Side one of "Autobahn" I think continues that tradition, and it remains worthy of the occasional spin. The title track however was what I would guess was a lark, a musical joke, a finger in the eye of the musical press and buying public who couldn't figure out what to make of Kraftwerk 1, 2 or 3. It was never meant to be taken seriously....

And unfortunately the sales it garnered meant that Kraftwerk were lured into producing more of the stuff. They hated it so much they pretended to be robots playing it. And the public ate it up.

So the album is a turning point, a cliff off of which a promising band fell. Most of what followed was dire in extremis.
    Interesting input on the nature of this release; I never thought of it in as blatantly a manner as being a complete lark, however, that does now make sense and explains a lot. Especially when one considers your points about the first three Kraftwerk albums. Really, kind of a sad affair for a talented duo such as Ralf and Florian.

Thanks for the input.

An excellent point of view and well stated. My enjoyment of their work is average, about a 5... mileage may vary of course, but l thought them overrated contemporaneously and still do. Up to a certain point l think Ralf thought them to be untouchable geniuses but became too frightened to release any new music after the lackluster Tour De France stuff. He was canny enough to know they were no longer the innovators he thought them to be. Which is fine. Compared to tons of things coming out of Germany and Switzerland at the time they never were breaking any new ground, when you had Can, Cluster, Neu!, Harmonia, SFF, and any number of bands...l'd even put Yello up against them any day. At least they have had the balls to keep putting out music for the last 50 years and are not cowed by an oversized reputation that isn't really warranted.

For me Kraftwerk is definitely a case of the hype being more overwhelming than the actual music.... perhaps because of the fluke of Autobahn actually receiving some US attention, and also a bit for Computer World.

My real opinion is that their whole Man/Machine concept was a one-note boring jive concept which they belabor to this day, and was done equally well by Devo and The Residents at the time.
    Last edited by veteranof1000psychicwars; 11-08-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Sometime for fun, compare "Computer World" (1981) with Jean-Michel Jarre's "Zoolook" (1984). A lot of similarities there.

Can't say I miss the 1980s very much.

As a 3.5 minute single, Autobahn is absolutely brilliant; the birth of techno-pop. As a 20+ minute album side, it overstays its welcome by at least 12-13 minutes. Side 2 was pretty lame if I recall.

The subsequent LPs IMHO are far more solid. The band had learned how to compose one minimalist masterpiece after the next. It all got a little old by the time of Computer world, but still that is a fun album. And I like the Tour de France single as well, from the early 00s.

I will concede that the Autobahn single was pretty great. I was actually made aware of Kraftwerk by hearing them on the radio, WFIL in Philly. I can honestly say there was nothing like it on the radio at the time!
    I too was not a fan of the side-long version...the single edit said all the track had to say. And if l listened to the other side more than once, it was an effort to try to get my allowance's worth.

"Autobahn" single is to "Autobahn" side-long as "Tubular Bells" single is to "Tubular Bells" side-long?

I think I have 3 Kraftwerk CD's and Autobahn is not one of them...

It fit in at the time, a thousand New Age Synthesists wish they could have come up with something as unique...

Like David Bowie, I am a huge fan of Kraftwerk. I enjoy their combination of a German sense of humor, elegant melodies, performance art, and mechanical robot funk grooves. I saw them on their recent tour and they were bangin’!

“Autobahn” is a breakthrough album that sounded like nothing else in its time. I vote Electronic Masterpiece and each of their albums afterward only improved on their vision. Kraftwerk’s music had a profound influence on techno, electronic dance music, electro-pop, hip hop, and art rock. As someone previously mentioned in this thread, much like Devo and the B-52s they combined humor, performance art, pop/rock music, and danceable grooves into a new and unique musical style. Through their lyrics, performance, and presentation they also convey wry sociological commentary on our industrial mechanized computerized society.

I am disappointed that they have not released any new material in quite some time. Perhaps sometime soon?

We are the robots!
    Last edited by The Gak Omek; 11-09-2022 at 06:08 PM.

The A-side is my favorite Kraftwerk by a longshot ("Ruckzuck" off of their debut coming a close second). The rest is, predictably, a disappointment, but not as bad as lots of people make out. More enjoyable to me than a lot of their subsequent android shtick (e.g.: "We Are the Robots," which is essentially a novelty song). And I love that last track, which is as close as anyone's come to "electronic folk." Was that the last time Florian picked up his flute on a Kraftwerk album?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    "Autobahn" single is to "Autobahn" side-long as "Tubular Bells" single is to "Tubular Bells" side-long?
    Yes, I see that as a viable analogy, based on comments received on both those current threads.

[QUOTE=The Gak Omek;1153512]

I am disappointed that they have not released any new material in quite some time. Perhaps sometime soon?

I would think not at this point, going on 40 years and Florian being gone. I think Ralf knows the world caught up to him ages ago and new music from Kraftwerk would not exactly be front page news. I think at his age he is content to be a touring "tribute", playing the old music for people live. Which is certainly cool in one sense, that being K never toured much back in the day and certainly not in the US as they frequently do now. If would be a fun show to see, l am sure, but l don't think l would walk out of the venue thinking l just saw the great Kraftwerk. Not really any difference at this point than going to see Foreigner.

If you're jonesing for more Kraftwerk, you could do worse than Kraftwelt.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/15095-Kraftwelt

I'll say near-masterpiece. I have Ralf & Florian, Autobahn, Trans-Europe Express and Computer World.

I consider the song "Popcorn" by Gershon Kingsley to be the first synth-based pop song to get radio air time and make people aware of music synthesis. If any track deserves the title "Farcical Novelty", I would say it was that one. Kraftwerk showed that you could compose more sophisticated electronic music, beyond just "novelty" status. So in that regard, I consider Autobahn in a more serious light. But I'd stop short of calling it an electronic "Masterpiece".

I never clicked with any Kraftwerk.

But I did with YMO - Technodelic.
    Masterpiece'ish imo. Some say YMO is the japanese version of Kraftwerk, I dont think so. Throw in a dash of Beatles, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I never clicked with any Kraftwerk.

But I did with YMO - Technodelic.
    Masterpiece'ish imo. Some say YMO is the japanese version of Kraftwerk, I dont think so. Throw in a dash of Beatles, then maybe.
    YMO was definitely their own thing, and both bands were mutual admirers.

Banned
    If you're jonesing for more Kraftwerk, you could do worse than Kraftwelt.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/15095-Kraftwelt
    And, definitely good stuff too from Kraftwelt. I have "Retroish" and like it a lot; plus I have several other tracks of theirs on compilations and remix albums (such as their contribution to "Space Box:1970 and Beyond)". They added an element of "nu-electronica" to Kraftwerks' sound and I always thought it as being more dense and heavy as well. Also, no silliness with lyrics like these from Ralf and Florian:

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der autobahn
    Vor uns liegt ein weites tal
    Die sonne scheint mit glitzerstrahl
    Die fahrbahn ist ein graues band

Weisse streifen, gruener rand
    Jetzt schalten wir das radio an
    Aus dem lautsprecher klingt es dann
    Wir fahr'n auf der autobahn

Banned
    I'm a fan of Autobahn. The first I heard was the single back on Kasy Kasem's American Top 40. At the time I had never heard anything like it. It is still a lot of fun on a big hi-fi. Yes, it is more mainstream and prosaic than their earlier albums, but I still like it after all these years and side two has it's moments. Not a masterpiece, not a farce. Novelty? Sure, but much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    And, definitely good stuff too from Kraftwelt. Also, no silliness with lyrics like these from Ralf and Florian.
    If you're jonesing for more Kraftwelt, you could do worse than Zeitkratzer:

As a single on US radio in the mid-70s, Autobahn could not been accepted by the general US public as anything but a "novelty".... Americans had absolutely no clue that any non-English speaking countries trafficked in rock and roll. And certainly nothing as unusual
    or groundbreakingly odd as a mostly electronic group singing in German.
    Obviously Hocus Pocus fell into the same category at the around the same time, even though the musical execution could not have been more different from Kraftwerk. Also considered a 'novelty' track of its time, even with the absence of lyrics.
    There is a great clip on YT of Focus playing this on The Midnight Special (introduced by Gladys Knight). They completely destroyed the crowd, who erupted in a standing ovation.
    Basically any rock from a non-English speaking country that got airplay back then actually was a "novelty" in the strict definition of the word. Of course no one had any idea that Shocking Blue or Golden Earring were not English or American bands, so they escaped being labeled as novelty acts.
    Last edited by veteranof1000psychicwars; 11-10-2022 at 09:15 PM.

What are you talking about? "A godness on a mountaintop"? Clearly not the work of an English-speaking band!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Like SunRunner2, the novelty of Autobahn wore off after a few listens...may have dismissed it prematurely (it's happened quite a few times). Liked Ralf and Florian a bit more and shelved it and several years later was glad to stumble on to a live at the Knitting Factory disc w/ this on it:
    https://soundcloud.com/garylucas/aut...ucas-solo-live

Tried, but couldn't find a version that didn't cut off some of the last 7 minutes or so that are on the sampler

Over the last 40 years or so, the non-title tracks from Autobahn resonate even more for me!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel