Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Bowie: The New Day

There's a couple of songs on it I don't perhaps care for, otherwise I'm finding it to be a pretty strong release. Not as good as Heathen in my opinion. I know that a lot of people found Heathen to be weak, but I think it's the best thing Bowie had done since Scary Monsters.

The biggest flaw with The Next Day is the sound quality. Looking at it in an audio editor reveals that it was highly compressed then had the levels brought down slightly leaving many flat topped peaks. I know that this is typical contemporary audio mastering, but to me it's just senseless thievery of dynamic range. The vinyl issue might not suffer from this but I'm not going to bother buying it.

As far as the album artwork goes, I can take it or leave it. I do get a kick out of seeing "FRIPP" still visible on the back cover, but it leaves me wishing that Fripp had actually played on this as I think he could have greatly enhanced these songs.

How does this compare to Heathen, which was a pleasant album that I gave a few spins when it was released, but ultimately just sits on my shelf?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Its a really good album. Sure, the cover is a tad 'meh', but big fuckin deal, I don't listen to the album art.
    What he said. I'm really digging it.

I read somewhere a tour is the works.

Quote Originally Posted by ribors View Post
    How does this compare to Heathen, which was a pleasant album that I gave a few spins when it was released, but ultimately just sits on my shelf?
    Wow, I thought Heathen was fantastic.

I'm really enjoying this album - I'll put it slightly ahead of Heathen. So far this year, it's my second favourite album after The Raven That Refused To Sing.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm really enjoying this album - I'll put it slightly ahead of Heathen. So far this year, it's my second favourite album after The Raven That Refused To Sing.
    Me too. I have been playing it in my car, and I can't get enough of it.

Still digging this album. Just some great songwriting fro Bowie, and tuneful production from Visconti. Hat's are still off.

In fact, got me on a big ol' Bowie kick, coupled with our visit to the V&A in March to see the David Bowie Is exhibition. If you're in/around London, don't miss it.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibit...avid-bowie-is/

It's a complete retrospective of his career, including all the "stuff". Top notch.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I really like it. There are all sorts of nods to his past on it with liitle musical references. For example, one track ends with the drum beat that opens the song "Five Years" from the Ziggy album.
    I believe the song you're referring to is You Feel So Lonely You Could Die.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Really enjoying it, love some of his subject matter, the absurdity of "I'd Rather Be High" in particular is a stand out. Also digging Love Is Lost, Stars, damn, the whole thing is great!

Heat could have been on Heroes btw...
    I think the whole thing could be a sequel to Heroes. Except Boss Of Me, which sounds like something from Young Americans. Bought this CD last week at Target, and just listened to it for the first time just now. At 66, Bowie is still in fine voice. Love Is Lost is a standout track for me, especially the spacey, churchy keyboard sound. Each track that followed was just as good as the last. The final two tracks close the album in dramatic, theatrical fashion. Bravo, Mr. Bowie.