Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes - New Topographic Oceans documentary

Yes - New Topographic Oceans documentary

It was a toss-up between making this or Throbbing Gristle's "20 Jazz Funk Greats".

Enjoy Droogs.

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Oh jeez! Bookmarking this!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Excellent!! Thanks for creating this.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I liked the doc but it seemed a little rushed as TFTO is a rather complicated album. We all have a pretty good idea what Rick was thinking but I would like to know more as to what the rest of the band was feeling as things progressed, more of the day to day happenings. CTTE, TFTO and Relayer is certainly an important period for the group so because of this, I would like to have seen this be more expansive.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Rushed!?

It's longer than any single side of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Rushed!?

It's longer than any single side of the album.
    Oh, what was I thinking?
    The older I get, the better I was.

The eons are closing
    While I'll check it later - this album, while not even in my top six Yes discs, does have a lot to unpack - so I'm totally looking forward to this.

------------

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

How well done is this though?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I liked the doc but it seemed a little rushed as TFTO is a rather complicated album.
    I agree I could have tried to look deeper into individual interviews as to what the other band members said about the album, however, the main problem I have when making these videos is not having enough images to fill the screen with. The Genesis Duke video I made was really difficult in this respect as so few photos of the band exist from that time.

Also, it was difficult to unearth that many genuinely new facts and perspectives on the album. I debated about including the curry story as we have all heard it a million times.

Watched it last night, excellent as ever. Hopefully more in the pipeline.

Caught this yesterday on YouTube. It's great as always (and it's interesting to see Rael doing a 'Making Of' video on another band besides Genesis).
    PS: Nothing against Genesis of course; I'm looking forward to seeing his take on Foxtrot.

You just had to stick a bit of Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" in there at the end, didn't you!

Can't imagine a better next step after all the Genesis docs. Love this album but don't know it nearly as well as the Genesis stuff so I'm very much looking forward to setting some time aside this evening with the lights out and a fine sippable beverage.

Very nicely done, given the criminal paucity of archival material around this album. I really appreciate the discussion around the scriptural context, plus the sheer amount of photography used to illustrate everything. Many I've never seen before, and I consider myself a top tier Yes nut. Bravo!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Fantastic, as every one of these have been! Well done and thank you! I love every second of this album and would change not a thing about it. In fact, I was already fascinated by it before I ever heard a note of it! The first time I heard of it was around 1988 when I bought a Genesis collector's guide called Turn It On Again (by Geoff Parkyn). In the intro, he's discussing The Lamb and brings about a comparison to 'the absurdly conceited Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes'. Well, that description was all I needed! Despite it meaning to sound critical, it appealed to me, especially in conjuction with that title! I saved up (I was only 15) and bought the newly released CD version which came in the old-school fatboy case with the cropped cover. I was instantly in love with the album and it remained a mainstay in my stereo for ages. What a journey to go on, and I still hear new things in it all these years and hundreds of listens later.

A few random points:

- I presume Jon's original title idea of 'Tobergraphic' is where Wakeman got the 'Toby's graphic go-kart' joke from.

- You can really hear Alan's vocal in the opening chant when it is isolated like this.

- I'm completely in agreement with you about the restoration of the Revealing Science intro on the 2003 release. I was hoping the Wilson re-mix would retain this, but sadly no (it's included elsewhere on that set though, at least). And I have also cited each of the four pieces as my favourite at one time or another.

Again, excellent job! Take a bow!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    You just had to stick a bit of Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" in there at the end, didn't you!
    Rock and Roll Creation actually! The gospel according to Spinal Tap no less...
    I was in two minds about adding it, however even Wakeman himself has commented on it.
    Apparently the Alan White drum ‘flower’ had problems opening sometimes and this inspired the Tap writers to do that scene in the movie.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks. Always liked this album but knew little about its ideas, influences, and formation. The billboard at about 18:33 suggests seeing Yes perform this album in concert, and I did.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Another great documentary! I learn so much from these things. Always an enjoyable watch.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ignore my previous question. I put two and two together and realize it's quite good, as were the Genesis ones. Keep up the good work, Rael!

Congrats Rael on another phenomenal documentary. So well done, and very creative and informative.

A very enjoyable doc. I've been a long time YES fan, though I felt Tales needed a bit of editing. There are pieces I love and pieces that I wish they'd put more effort into.
    Alan White is terrific throughout. This and Relayer are the best examples of Alan's abilities.

Amazing work... and you even managed to slip a Monkees picture in, one that I've never seen before! Some of the sound clips sound like alternate takes or mixes, where are they from?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Outstanding job! Very informative.
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Rock and Roll Creation actually! The gospel according to Spinal Tap no less...
    I was in two minds about adding it, however even Wakeman himself has commented on it.
    Apparently the Alan White drum ‘flower’ had problems opening sometimes and this inspired the Tap writers to do that scene in the movie.
    I love the way that specific Spinal Tap songs are pastiches of identifiable prog bands. "Rock and Roll Creation" is Yes to the point that Nigel Tufnel singing with his finger in his ear looks just like Steve Howe in the Yessongs movie. Stonehenge is Tull, Flower People is "you know Moody who".
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Some of the sound clips sound like alternate takes or mixes, where are they from?
    The soundtrack is a complete mish-mash of demos, cover artists, live cuts and isolated tracks.
    I use quite a lot from Brady Arnold’s YouTube channel. ‘Behind The Mulitrack’
    He has wealth of material on it:
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6Gd2ai9xUj402wnrX14-Vw