Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Signals, will there be a 40th Anniversary package?

Rush - Signals, will there be a 40th Anniversary package?

I saw this tour so if it came with a live disc I'd be an auto-buy. The actual album could do with a remaster, the band really wasn't satisfied with the sound of this one.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    To these ears - album production is perfect.
    Its all the discs afterwards that sound 'less good'

Live disc would be cool.

Wonder how the remaster cover could get botched here?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I am still extremely fond of this album and would definitely get any package with a live performance.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Well since Moving Pictures was a year late I would expect it in 12 months.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    First I've heard that the band was unhappy with the production. It always sounded great to me!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    First I've heard that the band was unhappy with the production.
    I wonder if that's why Geddy ranked it so low on That Metal Show!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I wonder if that's why Geddy ranked it so low on That Metal Show!
    Did he? I haven't seen that. How low did he rank it? Well, what does HE know!

First I've heard that the band was unhappy with the production. It always sounded great to me!
    I think Alex, for one, was unhappy with how synth heavy that album went. I think what happened was, Geddy was writing a lot of stuff on synths, and there wasn't much room for guitar textures.

Years later, around the time of Roll The Bones, I think, Alex and Geddy were interviewed in Guitar Player, and Alex made a comment about "the keyboardist getting carried away" on some of the 80's era records. Geddy then says something like "In defense of the keyboardist, the guitarist didn't always have his parts together", which suggests to me that maybe the reason that those records turned out so synth heavy wasn't just because Geddy was writing on synths, and that's what he was bringing to the writing sessions, but Alex maybe wasn't putting forth as many guitar based things, so it became about Alex fitting his guitar parts around Geddy's synths.

Did he? I haven't seen that. How low did he rank it? Well, what does HE know!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Wonder how the remaster cover could get botched here?
    They'll have the dog pissing on the hydrant.

Or the dog pissing on the naked Hemispheres guy.

I'd love to hear some live tracks from the Signals tour.

If I'm not mistaken, the master for this one is 16 bit/44.1 khz, just like Moving Pictures. This puts a limit on how good they can make a remaster sound. Even if the end product it a CD or 16/44.1 file, it's better to start with a higher resolution master and downsample. Recording engineers had figure this out by the 1990s, when 20 bit and 24 bit masters became the norm. Of course, any hi res version of the album is a fraud.

I actually like the slightly brighter '99 mastering of this on cd, it really sounds good on my hifi
    The vinyl is "warmer" but just more recessed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think Alex, for one, was unhappy with how synth heavy that album went. I think what happened was, Geddy was writing a lot of stuff on synths, and there wasn't much room for guitar textures.

Years later, around the time of Roll The Bones, I think, Alex and Geddy were interviewed in Guitar Player, and Alex made a comment about "the keyboardist getting carried away" on some of the 80's era records. Geddy then says something like "In defense of the keyboardist, the guitarist didn't always have his parts together", which suggests to me that maybe the reason that those records turned out so synth heavy wasn't just because Geddy was writing on synths, and that's what he was bringing to the writing sessions, but Alex maybe wasn't putting forth as many guitar based things, so it became about Alex fitting his guitar parts around Geddy's synths.
    I see, I thought it was the audio production they were unhappy with.

I see, I thought it was the audio production they were unhappy with.
    Well, that's part of "production". If the producer doesn't say, "Are you sure what to go so heavy on the synths" or "Maybe we need to push the guitars more up front", or if he says those things and the band says "No, this is the sound we want for this record", but then later the band realizes "Dammit, Broon was right", one could say that it was the production they didn't dig.

Some of the unhappiness comes from struggles they were having with Terry Brown over the musical direction the band wanted to take. And yes, in interviews Alex talks about how his role on that album was as co-rhythm player with Neil, with Geddy taking the lion's share of the melodic parts.

But I'd also be interested in a good live document from this era. I have a feeling the band doesn't have anything in the vaults. Were any of the concerts broadcast on FM radio?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Neil's stories from the tour programs had some details about the problems with Brown on that album and their decision to find a new producer for the next one. If I recall right one was that he didn't like the reggae rhythm on "Digital Man," but the band did.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Neil's stories from the tour programs had some details about the problems with Brown on that album and their decision to find a new producer for the next one. If I recall right one was that he didn't like the reggae rhythm on "Digital Man," but the band did.
    He flat out told them it "sucks." But they wouldn't have it. I'm glad, because Broon was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Signals is an album which is near and dear to so many Rush fans. Forty years have gone by, and the album stands up as one of Rush’s best. This tee is part of the Signals 40th Anniversary Collection. Printed on black, 100% cotton Gildan SoftStyle.

How dare Geddy's own store contradict him?!

Top 5 Rush album for me

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He flat out told them it "sucks." But they wouldn't have it. I'm glad, because Broon was wrong.
    I guess Broon wasn't a Police fan. I am, and that song is one of my favs.

Signals & Grace Under Pressure are the 2 Rush albums I listen to most. They rarely waste my time.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They'll have the dog pissing on the hydrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Or the dog pissing on the naked Hemispheres guy.
    Maybe the dog pissing on an Oberheim?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maybe the dog pissing on an Oberheim?
    That would be sacrilege.