Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: YES - Close To The Edge 50th Anniversary Tour

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    He looks younger and thinner is person-perhaps because I’m old and fat.
    OK that cracked me up lol

How did you think they played?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How did you think they played?
    Honestly, I thought they played very well and my expectations were exceeded.

I mentioned the sound of Geoff’s keyboard sounding a little “off” during the main keyboard riff of The Ice Bridge. There was a slight technical glitch with Firebird cutting off early, and there was a moment of awkward silence before launching into Silent Wings.

Very impressed with Billy. He gets better every time I see him. His vocals are very nice live. Howe was Howe. Don’t know how he does it at 75. I know the clock is ticking so I hope to see him every tour that he does. Jay does a nice job on drums. Jon D’s vocals still sound great live.

San Antonio SHOW.
    I went to see them as I think our time to experience even this level of proximity to a YES show is ticking away...so I thought I better just go and make the most of it.

I saw them here in 15 right after Squire passed away, and TOTO opened. Alan was in poor condition(after the back surgery) and the band was pretty weak. it was close to embarrassing, slower tempos, no power in the drumming, Billy mixed very low...just wasn't a great show. And then TOTO was awesome...so THAT didn't help!

but tonight, it sounded pretty dang good. the mix was really good, light on BASS is the only real concern I had...we are all used to Chris sound cutting through and being higher in the mix than most every other bass player...I think Billy's basses have a more subtle tone and they mix him more in the standard sense...so not bad...but I wish much thicker and higher.
    otherwise, really did a good job. the playing was really tight.
    STEVE: did a great job, when he got distorted/heavy he really sounded great. lots of the clean Gibson going on, but for the most part he was on point. a few moments where I think he lagged a nano-sec behind the tempo, but for the most part he is Steve Howe and it shows.
    Side note: he did get on a person in the audience who was video-ing and had their LIGHT on...waving them down while rocking it!

JON: did a really good job. had his family in the audience, which felt special. When he added acoustic guitar it sounded great. Really hit the songs, and was on point.

BILLY: not only on target with bass, but this show his vocals were excellent. The mix and the singing. reallllly sounded Squire like hitting all those harmonies. The break in Trooper was emotional for me...that is one of my fav Squire vocal moments...and Billy did great.

GEOFF: did well, a couple of times volume wasn't enough, but when it was he sounded good. And you and I was awesome...Geoff got much close to the right parts than I remember last few times I have seem him. Really not a liability, did well.

JAY: very Alan-like. I thought he added great power that had been missing for years. Bless Alan's effort! but Jay did his thing and it was refreshing to be at good tempo and hear more active playing.

SETLIST: same as all others. I did enjoy both of the QUEST songs, and bravo for playing them. I got a bit emotional for some weird reason during DISGRACE, just nostalgic.
    WURM was good, a bit shorter than historically. But did the deed of closing the show. The EDGE album came across well. But NO FOG in the middle section?? lol.

I am glad I went. crowd was good. band looked and played pretty dang good. Billy looks like he has lost weight and in great shape.

peace.

^^^Thanks for the review, good to hear that it was a great performance and you had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    There's talk they may play some of Tales next year too but we'll see
    Huh. Ya know, if they kicked the Relayer can down the road AGAIN, I think folks might be a bit miffed but that would be offset by news they were doing at least 3 sides of Tales (hard core fans would go nuts for "The Remembering"). And a firm promise to come back the following year with Relayer.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Here's an interesting perspective (visually) from two nights ago in Houston:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hmm... I watched that video. It's a slower tempo for one. The overall ensemble playing is fine, but Jay's drumming - to me - lacks finesse. Furthermore, I have to say that Jon D.'s voice is too 'pretty' for my taste. He hits all the notes, but there is absolutely no power or heft in his delivery, and these songs really need that power and heft. IMHO, Jon Anderson & the Paul Green School of Rock kids played these songs with more verve and passion, albeit with some rough edges here and there.

I know lots of folks here enjoy the current Yes lineup, and I'm sincerely glad that some iteration of the band is still out there and that they bring you enjoyment, but it's just not for me anymore. YMMV.

Here is a performance of Jon Anderson and the Paul Green School of Rock I shot on my Smartphone on July 22, 2022, at the Kent Stage in Kent, Ohio. This is the end of Starship Trooper and the whole of Roundabout. My buddy and I had front-row seats, but I was right up in front of the stage a few feet from Jon and Co. for this. Pretty thrilling, actually.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b02pfcmf3t...-7-22.mp4?dl=0

That version of Roundabout is way better that anything Yes has done for 40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Hmm... I watched that video. It's a slower tempo for one. The overall ensemble playing is fine, but Jay's drumming - to me - lacks finesse. Furthermore, I have to say that Jon D.'s voice is too 'pretty' for my taste. He hits all the notes, but there is absolutely no power or heft in his delivery, and these songs really need that power and heft. IMHO, Jon Anderson & the Paul Green School of Rock kids played these songs with more verve and passion, albeit with some rough edges here and there.

I know lots of folks here enjoy the current Yes lineup, and I'm sincerely glad that some iteration of the band is still out there and that they bring you enjoyment, but it's just not for me anymore. YMMV.
    Bruce, you wrote exactly how I feel about this lineup and Jon's vocals. I'm happy folks are still enjoying this Yes lineup, it just doesn't work for me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that lively clip. I can't believe Jon's vocals at his age. I would definitely enjoy to see this show.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 10-24-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here is a performance of Jon Anderson and the Paul Green School of Rock I shot on my Smartphone on July 22, 2022, at the Kent Stage in Kent, Ohio. This is the end of Starship Trooper and the whole of Roundabout. My buddy and I had front-row seats, but I was right up in front of the stage a few feet from Jon and Co. for this. Pretty thrilling, actually.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b02pfcmf3t...-7-22.mp4?dl=0
    Thank you for posting. That was a great encore, with all those kids on stage dancing around with Jon. Totally agree, high energy and enthusiasm, but I hope they didn't all do that throughout the entire show!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thank you for posting. That was a great encore, with all those kids on stage dancing around with Jon. Totally agree, high energy and enthusiasm, but I hope they didn't all do that throughout the entire show!
    They didn't do that all through the show, but the stage was indeed crowded much of the time. There were usually 10 or more people actively playing at any given point, and there was a continual rotation of band members joining or exiting.

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    Great stuff. Francis Monkman writes some banger tunes.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Saw a great Yes show last night near San Diego Howe and co. played with great energy. Schellen fits right in and they really did the CTTE album proud. Only down moment for me was the weirdly clipped wings of freedom.
    I was on the fence about it but I’m very glad I went to my 26th Yes show.

I saw the Tucson show and was very entertained. I was 4th row, in front of Steve Howe. Jay sure brought a bunch more power to the show. And yes, Billy is fitting in better.

The bottom line to me is that even though I have seen the band consistently since 77, since I don’t hold a band hostage by my own expectations, I am free to experience the sublime musical moments that they and the compositions still provide.

I really enjoyed seeing quite a few young people at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Here's an interesting perspective (visually) from two nights ago in Houston:

Wow, you are not kidding…what a great perspective! I loved seeing Jay from behind, the details of Billy’s Taurus pedals and Pedalboard, and the back of Geoff’s rig. Did you film this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Did you film this?
    No! I've never set foot in Texas and I stopped going to Yes gigs 20 years ago. But I still keep tabs on what they do and when I see something I think people will enjoy, I share.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Seeing them in a couple weeks in Westbury, LI, that also has a revolving stage.

Saw them in wheat land last night. Logistics frustration we were annoyed that it said start at 7:30 but didn’t kick off til 8:15 and then we did not get the Howe solo (which if it was clap I wouldn’t mind so much but seems he is doing to be over which I would very much have enjoyed to see).

Otherwise very much enjoyed the show. Silent wings was a bit of a rocky start I knew it was going to be a edit
    So enjoyed what I got but I must say downes did not pull of the keyboard solo towards the end not sure if it was opening show issues or he’s been off all tour but that was the one moment in the show I cringed a bit during smooth sailing from there though. Loved the quest tracks inclusion which was the highlight for me.

Was also sad at no does it really happen guess Usa just getting the shaft overall on that one though and not a fault
    Of late start.

Overall it felt a lot like the relayer/ctte tour from when they released Heaven and earth. I wished then it was a full heaven and earth tour rather than another CTTE run through this time
    I wish it were the quest tour (or relayer) but hey just glad they are still going strong.

RE: Houston. A few hiccups but not bad considering their ages. Steve can still play, looks to be enjoying himself. Drummer doing a good job holding it all together, no easy task. I'd go to see this show if it was in my area. Non-music related: I like how Billy dresses like Chris. Steve finally got a haircut that doesn't make him look like the Crypt Keeper.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I wish I could have gone to the San Diego show but already had tix for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets. Do not know why promoter booked Yes on the same day Nick was already booked. Probably quite an overlap of fans that would have went to both.

I've have the same thoughts as well.