Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Enjoyed the last episode (and thought the season as a whole was great). Sucks having to wait so long for the acutal dance, but this season set everything up very nicely I thought.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Imagine how confusing it will be for people when the next episode airs in 2024 and they have to remember all those similar Targaryen names again!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That Aemond is one creepy, scary looking cat.

Banned
    Rhaenyra is indeed sufficiently traumatized to go into full blown psychotic revenge mode, Yahoo! But indeed, it will be a long wait.

As far as Rings of Power, I can wait. In fact, for the sake of Tolkien's legacy and the obscene waste of money (like a million $ a minute, something like 700 million for the first season!) - I hope they cancel the mess.

As Erik Kain at Forbes puts it "What we have now with The Rings of Power barely even resembles Middle-earth. It’s just a generic Hollywood fantasy created by people who badly misunderstands its source material and don’t seem to give a damn." https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...h=2b458f8f2baf

No biggie to me, just a little disappointed, but I know folks who are Tolken experts and aficionados that are royally pissed off :-) Oh well, it's far from the first time that big money productions have crapped all over literature, so I hope they get over it. Still, it is a shame that even Tolkien gets so adulterated and dumbed down these days. For those interested in the details and why Tolkien fanatics are upset, Kain does a pretty good job detailing that in his series of reviews.

If you enjoy ROP, like my wife, you're welcome to it and I'm glad someone is getting pleasure out of it.
    Last edited by Quantum Cat; 10-25-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    No biggie to me, just a little disappointed, but I know folks who are Tolkien experts and aficionados that are royally pissed off :-) Oh well, it's far from the first time that big money productions have crapped all over literature, so I hope they get over it.
    That's how I felt about Foundation. I quit watching after 3 episodes. But I enjoyed ROP well enough.

Still, it is a shame that even Tolkien gets so adulterated and dumbed down these days.
    You do know that Simon Tolkien, JRR's grandson, is a consultant and/or an exec producer on it, don't you?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

You do know that Simon Tolkien, JRR's grandson, is a consultant and/or an exec producer on it, don't you?
    I knew the Tolkien estate was involved, which changes nothing other than exasperating the bitterness of Tolkien nerds. There are people that love it and people that hate it. Christopher Tolkien hated the Peter Jackson films which I loved, so maybe it's a good thing he didn't live to see RoP - he is doubtless spinning in his grave. I don't know anything about Simon, but the whole thing smells like a cash grab. Definitely NOT a labor of love.

I can tell you that there are an awful lot of 1-star reviews on IMBD and a 39% average audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm not the only one who thinks it dogshit, visually stunning dogshit, but dogshit nevertheless. You'd think 700 million $ would be a sufficient budget to hire a top-drawer writing staff as well. Some of the dialogue and scenes were hackneyed beyond belief. I didn't have any expectations, but I understand the outrage. YMMV for sure.

OK sorry for beating a dead horse (and being off topic at that). I'll darken your door no more.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the audinence ratings, loads of shows are being bombed by trolls.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm not sure about the audinence ratings, loads of shows are being bombed by trolls.
    Yep. They're meaningless now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep. They're meaningless now.
    Absolutely. I can't tell you how many times I've checked reviews and seen dozens of 1 star ratings in a row. Ridiculous.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Absolutely. I can't tell you how many times I've checked reviews and seen dozens of 1 star ratings in a row. Ridiculous.
    Well, then there are certainly a lot of trolls out there writing bad reviews. Time to burn I guess...

See? Totally adulterated. Should've been an actual son.
    <sig out of order>

Well, then there are certainly a lot of trolls out there writing bad reviews. Time to burn I guess...
    That's bad, in and of itself, but it's the motivation that makes it evil.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I can tell you that there are an awful lot of 1-star reviews on IMBD and a 39% average audience score on Rotten Tomatoes...
    You have to look at the whole picture. The critic score on RT is 85%. So that 39% audience score is out of whack.

As for IMDb, the overall score is 6.9/10. So 18.3% gave it 1 star. BFD. 52.3% gave it an 8 or above.

Trolls or racists and misogynists?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    See? Totally adulterated. Should've been an actual son.
    They're all dead.

To be fair, Simon had a falling out with his father, Christopher, who was the guardian of all things Tolkien after his father's passing. They eventually reconciled but one does have to wonder about Simon's purist sensibilities.

OTOH, don't most people at PE dislike Wynton Marsalis because of his purist sensibility?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

OTOH, don't most people at PE dislike Wynton Marsalis because of his purist sensibility?
    I don't know what you mean.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

House of the Dragon oh-oh.jpg

From now on I'm using this image to express my disapproval on Facebook.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You have to look at the whole picture. The critic score on RT is 85%. So that 39% audience score is out of whack.

As for IMDb, the overall score is 6.9/10. So 18.3% gave it 1 star. BFD. 52.3% gave it an 8 or above.

Trolls or racists and misogynists?

They're all dead.

To be fair, Simon had a falling out with his father, Christopher, who was the guardian of all things Tolkien after his father's passing. They eventually reconciled but one does have to wonder about Simon's purist sensibilities.

I THINK I understand what you are saying.....

One would expect PE people to be "more flexible" given the idea that Prog and related genres are sorts of "fusions" of various influences? And Wynton, the "Jazz Purist," is disliked here because of our feeling that he is opposed to flexibility? And that, by extension, we should also be "more flexible" regarding how "canonical literature" like Tolkien is handled by those who have come after and are working with "those materials?"
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I THINK I understand what you are saying.....
    I'm going to reply to this over in the Rings of Power thread, to keep things here on topic.
    Last edited by Hal...; 10-27-2022 at 01:08 PM.

I responded over there, as well.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Must admit I was struggling the first half of this series, but glad I stuck with it because those last couple episodes were killer. Just sucks to have to wait so long now.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I finally got to see the finale tonight. Enjoyed the hell out of the whole season. It is going to be a long wait until the next one. My wife liked it so much she read the book and I originally had to drag her into Game Of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Enjoyed the last episode (and thought the season as a whole was great). Sucks having to wait so long for the acutal dance, but this season set everything up very nicely I thought.
    HotD is excellent as expected. But I watched it out of the box instead of GoT which I binged (twice) before the last season. Wasn't interested but really hurt my back and couldn't get out of bed for a week and the seasons were being shown 1 per day. I recorded them and read up on them. This waiting about 2 years is garbage, but we will all do it!

HBO announced that season two will begin in June, but no exact date specified. Oil up your dragon saddles.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Oil up your dragon saddles.
    I'd rather oil up Emilia Clarke.