Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I recently bought Spectres. I think I like that one a little better than Agents of Fortune.
    Agree, it is the better album of the two. Even though Agents was a huge hit, I think overall it is one of their weaker albums. There are also a lot of albums I like better than Spectres, but it is better than Agents IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Strangely, Spectres was one of the last BOC albums I bought. Despite having heard a few of the tunes elsewhere (and liking them), what I heard on Spectres never resonated with me and it's gotta be just about the last BOC album I would reach for. Maybe it's because I heard live versions of a couple tunes first, but the album seems so lifeless in comparison.
    The live versions of many BOC songs are better than their studio counterparts in many cases.

I've always gotten the impression that B.O.C. were more of the Rock than the Prog. However it is obvious that they tread on Prog territory regarding how they sometimes color their style with Prog's musical characteristics.

For example "Flaming Telepaths" has that vibe. It doesn't really differ all that much from early Lucifer's Friend, certain aspects to Deep Purple, etc...and it's more of a song that features dynamics and a haunting melody.

"Black Blade" and "Monsters" are odd and cross into a Progressive style in sections. The closing to "Black Blade" is reminiscent of a style you'd hear on Mahagony Rush IV. The strange synthesizer riff at the beginning of the section followed by the drums and eventually something sounding like a vocoder. It's not straight ahead Rock..yet it is not exactly Progressive Rock...but it contains elements of mystery that you might hear sometimes in the music of Hawkwind.

The Prog side to BOC is in the lyricism and or concept ideas for the album covers alongside the actual idea to write a concept album....or working with Michael Moorcock etc. These ideas of structuring an album are more likely to be found in the music of Prog bands.

Imaginos contained 2 or 3 songs that leaned toward the progressive side ..but overall the band has never taken on a hard-core Prog style.

I first saw them on the Secret Treaties tour in 74'. They were incredibly tight. They can be hauntingly melodic. They come up with great melodies and interesting chord progressions, but they put some kind of dark and sinister stamp on it. I love them..

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    It’s a strange video. Not that great...
    How can a video be strange but not good? I love strange videos (e.g. Tom Waits)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    How can a video be strange but not good? I love strange videos (e.g. Tom Waits)
    Ha! This one was strange and bad. It can be both. No kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I was listening to the first BOC again last night. There's some very good songs on there. One that sort of stands out for me is "she's as beautiful as a foot." It's a strange title but it's a good song.
    Redeemed is still my favourite song off that album.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Redeemed is still my favourite song off that album.
    These days I typically don't pay much attention to song titles for some reason (unlike the old days when I mostly bought cassette tapes and it was easy to just turn it over and look at song titles). However, I will break my rule and try to figure out which one that is. Thanks for the tip. However, first I have to listen to Cultosaurus which I just bought from the Laser's Edge five dollar sale but haven't listened to yet.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Albert Bouchard is now taking pre-orders for the finale of the Imaginos triolgy "Mutant Reformation": https://www.ktlo.com/2023/06/12/blue...ginos-trilogy/

I ordered the three Imaginos CDs yesterday. $30 for all three.

I ordered the three Imaginos CDs yesterday. $30 for all three.

Nice! I have been buying them as they came out. Have the new one pre-ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nice! I have been buying them as they came out. Have the new one pre-ordered.
    I never liked the Imaginos BOC album, but I really like Albert's re imagining. I wish he would play in the Bay Area.
    I'll be seeing BOC June 30 at the Marin County Fair.

On my morning walk, I had my BOC playlist going. Damn, "Lips in the Hills" is just a thoroughly under-rated ass-kicker of a track.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So glad to hear someone else give a nod to Lips in the Hills. One of my favorite tracks from one of my favorite albums.

I too didn't care for Imaginos. Haven't heard Alberts reimagining yet though. Will be seeing him in Annapolis next month.

BOC Forever!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I never liked the Imaginos BOC album, but I really like Albert's re imagining. I wish he would play in the Bay Area.
    I'll be seeing BOC June 30 at the Marin County Fair.
    I don’t hate the “Imaginos” album from B.O.C., but I just know what it could have been had they done it right. I love what albert is doing, but it is just sad that the band and Albert could not properly do the original vision of Sandy Pearlman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    On my morning walk, I had my BOC playlist going. Damn, "Lips in the Hills" is just a thoroughly under-rated ass-kicker of a track.
    The last time I saw them live, they did that song and it was amazing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Man, the track list on the new live album is amazing. They’re releasing each of the three nights in NYC as a separate package, where the first set at each show was one of the first three albums. The second sets will be of most interest to me. And Secret Treaties.

50th Anniversary Live – First Night

Disc 1
    Transmaniacon MC
    I'm on the Lamb but I Ain't No Sheep
    Then Came the Last Days of May
    Stairway to the Stars
    Before the Kiss, a Redcap
    Screams
    She's as Beautiful as a Foot
    Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll
    Workshop of the Telescopes
    Redeemed

Disc 2
    Dr. Music
    Burnin' for You
    Train True (Lennie's Song)
    Tainted Blood
    Harvest Moon
    Dancin' in the Ruins
    The Vigil
    Career of Evil
    Box in My Head
    Godzilla
    (Don't Fear) the Reaper
    In Thee
    That Was Me
    Hot Rails to Hell

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Man, the track list on the new live album is amazing. They’re releasing each of the three nights in NYC as a separate package, where the first set at each show was one of the first three albums. The second sets will be of most interest to me. And Secret Treaties.

50th Anniversary Live – First Night

Disc 1
    Transmaniacon MC
    I'm on the Lamb but I Ain't No Sheep
    Then Came the Last Days of May
    Stairway to the Stars
    Before the Kiss, a Redcap
    Screams
    She's as Beautiful as a Foot
    Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll
    Workshop of the Telescopes
    Redeemed

Disc 2
    Dr. Music
    Burnin' for You
    Train True (Lennie's Song)
    Tainted Blood
    Harvest Moon
    Dancin' in the Ruins
    The Vigil
    Career of Evil
    Box in My Head
    Godzilla
    (Don't Fear) the Reaper
    In Thee
    That Was Me
    Hot Rails to Hell
    Auto buy!

Autobuy, deux!

First Night LP has been pre-ordered for a while. Will be a lovely set of all 3.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Buck is in the hospital as of five days ago with pneumonia. Hopefully he'll get over it quickly.

Buck is in the hospital as of five days ago with pneumonia. Hopefully he'll get over it quickly.
    Hope he recovers quickly.

New video released on YouTube yesterday from the 50th anniversary show.

^ Thanks for posting that! I really wish I'd gone to see one of those shows in NYC. I can remember looking at tickets and deciding not to. I hope I didn't skip my last chance to see them another time, since I've only seen them one time that even counts (the first time was opening for Rush and I wasn't at all familiar with their music and didn't know that they were good (even though my friends liked them).

They're a pretty virtuous band, because they could have easily split The Symbol Remains into two good, single-disk albums and made more money, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Thanks for posting that! I really wish I'd gone to see one of those shows in NYC. I can remember looking at tickets and deciding not to. I hope I didn't skip my last chance to see them another time, since I've only seen them one time that even counts (the first time was opening for Rush and I wasn't at all familiar with their music and didn't know that they were good (even though my friends liked them).

They're a pretty virtuous band, because they could have easily split The Symbol Remains into two good, single-disk albums and made more money, IMO.
    I have been lucky enough to see them around 20 times over the years (I have lost exact count). Hope Buck recovers and they can get back on the road.

That's a lot! Did they tour much in the '80s? I'm guessing not, because otherwise it seems like I would have ended up seeing them more when I was living in Syracuse, or that they would have opened for Rush on other tours besides the one I saw them on (Hold Your Fire?).