Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: PT/C/C

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I literally got a shipping notice from Sony in the middle of the night. They should be here either Friday or Monday. Will be getting them out the door asap.
    All I see on the Laser site is the deluxe package. I see Burning Shed is out of the CD as well. Even the dickhead Bezos has nothing. The label and the distributors really hosed this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    All I see on the Laser site is the deluxe package. I see Burning Shed is out of the CD as well. Even the dickhead Bezos has nothing. The label and the distributors really hosed this.
    We will have the regular edition back in stock early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Someone send me the three bonus tracks, I'm all tapped out (1 CD and DL of CD w/ instrumental tracks purchased already, sheeesh).
    They are all on youtube.

Neil

I'll look forward to ordering next week.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What the hell? My deluxe edition finally shipped from Laser's Edge (thank you!) but now USPS is saying it's not coming until Saturday! A week to deliver within the same state, really? This thing is doomed to be delayed every way possible apparently. Ugh.

Sony did a bang up job releasing this album!

Ah, I see it up there. This is just a single disc version, right?

I stopped in to the Newbury Comics location at Faneuil Hall on Friday, and they had both the regular cd and the 3 LP vinyl set in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    What the hell? My deluxe edition finally shipped from Laser's Edge (thank you!) but now USPS is saying it's not coming until Saturday! A week to deliver within the same state, really? This thing is doomed to be delayed every way possible apparently. Ugh.
    It is shipping by Media Mail (the same as the old Parcel Post) slower than First Class.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Ah, I see it up there. This is just a single disc version, right?
    Yes. We now have all available formats in stock. But for how long…but for how long.

Yes. We now have all available formats in stock. But for how long…but for how long.
    Got mine ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    It is shipping by Media Mail (the same as the old Parcel Post) slower than First Class.
    Never mind. It showed up today (thankfully). It was Media Mail. 5 years ago I'd pretty much get anything from Laser's Edge the next day. Now it's at least 3 days if not longer. Everything gets routed through Jersey City now (north NJ), Laser's Edge is south NJ and I'm central NJ so it's pretty much the least efficient route within the state. I will say that USPS does seem to cause the least amount of damage to packages of any of the carriers (UPS, FedEx, Amazon's service [DHL is very good for international though]) so that's definitely a plus.

Anyway, time to give it a listen!

Never mind. It showed up today (thankfully). It was Media Mail. 5 years ago I'd pretty much get anything from Laser's Edge the next day. Now it's at least 3 days if not longer. Everything gets routed through Jersey City now (north NJ), Laser's Edge is south NJ and I'm central NJ so it's pretty much the least efficient route within the state. I will say that USPS does seem to cause the least amount of damage to packages of any of the carriers (UPS, FedEx, Amazon's service [DHL is very good for international though]) so that's definitely a plus.

Jersey City seems to be a distribution hub for media mail.

5 years ago, you didn't have so many people ordering online because of a pandemic. I never understand why common sense is non existent when people order online?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    5 years ago, you didn't have so many people ordering online because of a pandemic. I never understand why common sense is non existent when people order online?
    That's certainly part of it, but there are multiple factors at play involving the USPS and the changes being made to it...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's certainly part of it, but there are multiple factors at play involving the USPS and the changes being made to it...
    People being entitled and expecting that they are the only ones shipping packages is one of the worst parts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    People being entitled and expecting that they are the only ones shipping packages is one of the worst parts.
    Never mind.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

So I do need to listen to it more, but my opinion is not much different than Sean's. It's a good album, but nothing really exceptional to my ears. It seems like a middle of the road PTree album, in the vein of the last 4 albums or so before the hiatus, but with a bit of SW solo DNA in the mix. I also think his bass playing is good, but not great, and that Colin was a much more important part of my enjoyment of PTree than I had realized. That said, I can understand how his absence came about (even though it IS a little weird how it seem to have went down), and that Wilson and Harrison were going for a bit different approach this time. Though like I said, I'm not really hearing anything different really. Still, it's good and I may grow to like it more with further listens. I won't bemoan having to purchase the bonus tracks as separate downloads (haven't listened to them just yet), though it would have been nice to have had a better option to get them than that (like simply a longer CD for a couple bucks more or something, I don't know).

Yea! Mine showed up on my doorstep yesterday. Only took 9 months since pre-ordering in Nov. 2021. 5 weeks until the live show.

I got it! All the way from England. Daisy a 19 year old Brit just arrived at my daughter's house all jet lagged and I joked if I knew you were coming I would have got you to bring the new PT cd. She of course never heard of them but smiled when I said they were from England, smiled bigger when I said the best music in the world comes from England. Maybe that moved her to ask her mom to try to find it for me as she was flying in 10 days later. Sue her mom was apparently excited to try to find it and won't let me pay for it so... this is the first time I've had a cd physically brought to me from overseas, kind of cool. Love the music too feeling the closer connects with me the most after several spins.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

^^^
    Great story, good that you've got it at last. I'm still loving it after having it for about 6 weeks.

Finally got this single disc version. Rats Return is fantastic!

Huzzah, I have it and have heard it (wow, didn't expect this thread to already drop to page 3.) I decided to just wait and not even try to buy it for a good long time, which worked out fine. I was a bit put off at having to shell out $65 for the deluxe edition with only three extra songs, but PT is one of the few bands I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth over the past 25 years, so I'm OK putting a few extra shekels into Steven, Richard, and Gavin's pockets. Yeah, the art direction of the whole package is a bit of a head-scratcher, but at least its trying to do something interesting. And it's very "on-brand", if you tie in past PT releases and even Steven's side projects.

As for the music, two thumbs up from me, but I'm a bass player so of course I'm going to be happy with an album based mostly on bass and drum jams. I decided to re-listen to The Incident for a reference point and this is such a huge step up. The music feels fresh, but obviously with lots of commonalities to past PT and -- especially -- Steven's solo work. I kind of miss Colin's rubbery bass grooves, although he would have had a hard time fitting into this style of music with all the abrasive textures and hard edges. It's interesting to me that this is very much a modern rock record, but the guitar is mostly textural with the only real solo happening on the last track. Also, Richard's keys are a bit low in the mix for my liking (in many ways this is a guitar/bass/drums album), but that may be my personal preference for the psych-loaded PT of old.

The songs sit well alongside the more aggressive slate of later PT and Steven's solo work. Steven has so obviously matured as a songwriter over the past 10-15 years (and as a singer), so it's actually nice to hear something more minimalist and serene like "Chimera's Wreck" which almost sounds like something from Storm Corrosion. The bonus tracks are uniformly good, with "Never Have" reminding me of Blackfield's best songs. The writing on Closure/Continuation perhaps doesn't hammer home the ear worms or hooks as much as in the old days, but given SW's recent trend toward style over substance it's at least a solid move in the right direction. I really hope this is not the end.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

There's a new long video interview with SW here:

That was fresh, and yet, not. The subjects are pretty much the usual wind up about how he wants to break though to the mainstream but is hampered by the millstone around his neck. The one that dubbed him, "King of Prog". How many times have I seen him explain this? A bunch... They do talk about some other stuff too though. Sure, ABBA comes up.