Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your recipe against INSOMNIA (mine is oldies music)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    contrary to what others believe, I find metal music quite relaxing.
    Unlike prog, jazz or classical which requires engaged listening, Metal allows one to disengage one's brain.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Unlike prog, jazz or classical which requires engaged listening, Metal allows one to disengage one's brain.
    I sit and try to separate the instruments and vocals. I also envision things in my head when I hear music. If the music is good, it triggers something like a movie in my head. I see these characters I made doing things or performing. Sometimes it brings visions of the actual bands performing, but usually the fictitious stuff.

sheets of blue2.jpg
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I can’t sleep to music that is too interesting - any lyrics are out - I do like white or pink noise or similar - Merzbow’s music often does the trick. I tried Metal Machine Music but found too many hidden melodies to drop off to sleep.
    Summer here is great - the noise of the old air conditioner is perfect and I get long uninterrupted nights of sleep.
    I used to leave a radio on between stations so I could have a nice crackling constant sound, but I found a stronger station signal would always somehow find its way to the forefront and spoil the whole thing.

Banned
    Vape Poochy Love flower with 36% THC and high Myrcene and other terpenes

^^ Nothing like what we had in the late 70s, early 80s when I "indulged" as a high school student.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Nothing like what we had in the late 70s, early 80s when I "indulged" as a high school student.
    I had a friend in San Diego that I visited in 78, which had Northern CA sinsemilla and Mexican Purple hair. Both were quite potent. But the east coast had Colombian unless someone grew using lights which was very new in the late 70’s.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My best friend says he takes a micro dose of hash (a couple tokes) every night to assist with his sleep.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My best friend says he takes a micro dose of hash (a couple tokes) every night to assist with his sleep.
    Is that hash produced locally in Canada or imported? Hash was traditionally derived from cannabis indica, which had terpenes which supported sleep. Cannabis is complicated.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Is that hash produced locally in Canada or imported? Hash was traditionally derived from cannabis indica, which had terpenes which supported sleep. Cannabis is complicated.
    Not sure where it's from. Bought from legal marijuana stores..
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Not sure where it's from. Bought from legal marijuana stores..
    I hope that Canada is producing in country and with the same standards as legal medical or recreational in the US. However, not like some states which have legal but don’t have production with high standards.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Couple snoots of whiskey and a melatonin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Couple snoots of whiskey and a melatonin
    The best source of melatonin is the sun, or near infrared light. Early morning charges the circadian rhythm, and the light penetrates into mitochondria creating intracellular melatonin which dwarfs any supplement. Significantly anti-inflammatory.

Banned

I've used drone music to prepare me for sleep for many years. Steve Roach (without the tribal drums), Robert Rich, and a host of similar stuff.

Dreamtime Return by Steve Roach helps me to sleep. Brian Eno Discreet Music is a good choice.

Substracta by Biosphere is an excellent ambient recording...but not for falling asleep...unless you adjust well to tape recordings of voices and music from an underworld.

Klaus Schulze can be hypnotic and "X" has relaxed me. However "X" has a pleasant flow to it...where Picture Music, Cyborg, and Irrilight are sometimes disturbing and that taking away from a hypnotic flow in the music. Timewind has oscillating keyboards that are hypnotic.

I used to fall asleep to Jade Warrior At Peace certain recordings by Popol Vuh. It's a preference ( of course).. I like the music of Anthony Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post

Substracta by Biosphere is an excellent ambient recording...but not for falling asleep...unless you adjust well to tape recordings of voices and music from an underworld.

So, I downloaded this because your description intrigued me. I found it to be perfect for me to fall asleep and dream some bizarre dreams.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Substrata has been a favorite of mine for years. Nice to see some love for it here! A fantastic journey it takes me on every time .

I’ve just found a new source of sleep-inducing music - on YouTube a Chanel by Swedish musician/programmer Dennis Martensson - he has a particular interest in generative music - ie you set it off and on it goes automatically. The first thing I heard by him was “10 hours of procedurally generated Djent” my first exposure to this type of odd-metered drums bass guitar very fast unison playing punctuated by airy interludes. Apparently he was so happy with this that he created a 58 hour version of similar stuff. He also does automatically generated piano music for study and sleep. Quite an interesting dude.

https://youtube.com/c/DennisMartenssonOfficial
    Last edited by jake; 08-30-2022 at 02:36 AM.

Banned
    Near Infrared light (NIR, especially from the sun, without damaging UV if one’s shadow is longer than one’s height) has been known empirically to have significant benefit against illness historically. And as a previous video showed, it causes mitochondria to produce melatonin intracellularly at levels much greater than a supplement. Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant and anti inflammatory as discovered in studies of people who had sufficient Vitamin D, but didn’t get sun and were infected with COVID. Now, and invitro study demonstrated NIR doing this directly:

Banned
    The greatest lack of sleep I have had in a day, was when my COVID infection caused coughing at night keeping me up. I medicated with Mucinex DM and Benadryl, which solved that problem. I felt nearly perfect after coughing and blowing out the phlegm, and then did my normal 6 mile walk/hike everyday in which I got plenty of NIR. Symptoms subsided in about 5 days with a residual tendency to cough for a couple of weeks after testing negative. Never had a flu or cold in which symptoms subsided so well during the day, but got so annoying at night.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm currently suffering from the same issue, and it started 3 weeks ago today in the evening as "I think I'm getting a sore throat". By that Friday I had what seemed to be all the covid symptoms so I figured I'd better see a doctor, and have had 6 covid tests coming back negative since, but waking up coughing continues to be an issue even though I felt better after about a week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm currently suffering from the same issue, and it started 3 weeks ago today in the evening as "I think I'm getting a sore throat". By that Friday I had what seemed to be all the covid symptoms so I figured I'd better see a doctor, and have had 6 covid tests coming back negative since, but waking up coughing continues to be an issue even though I felt better after about a week.
    PCR or over the counter flow test? The threshold for the flow test is higher.

C-SPAN

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    PCR or over the counter flow test? The threshold for the flow test is higher.
    The ones I did myself were the ones that the gov't sent us a few months back. The doctor did both kinds. We also tested my wife 4 times total, and all were negative.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    C-SPAN
    Indeed. Back when I had fairly frequent insomnia, lying on the couch facing away from the TV tuned into CSPAN loud enough to hear but not loud enough to make out the words was usually enough to get me to sleep.