Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Alan White of Yes

I'm truly sorry to hear that Alan White has died. My Condolences to His Family, Friends & Bandmates. RIP Alan.

Rest in Peace Alan!
    He was a fantastic drummer and musician and a great guy. A legend for sure, and a really nice genuine person.

I met and hung out with him for a few days at a booth at NAMM in 1995 (I believe), and he was great to be around, and a gentleman. He bought me and my friend beers at the keyboard concert we went to together, and I remember when he was getting ready to leave, I was talking to a customer at the booth, he hung out awhile and waited until I was done so he could say goodbye. He seemed like a really nice, considerate person. He will be sorely missed!

Tom

RIP Alan White you legend.

What an amazing career and what a kind soul. Kudos and RIP.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The eons are closing
    RIP Alan [emoji120]

I will absolutely be spinning Relayer later.
    Alan's finest "studio" hour in YES imo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

A very sad day....

Something that needs saying: amidst all the lineup changes, drama queening, and petty grievances that characterize so much of the history of Yes, Alan White was the quiet presence who just kept showing up with a positive attitude to do the job year after year. They were damned lucky to have him.

Yes also immediately became a very different band after he joined, and arguably a better live band for the atmosphere of big arenas and stadiums they were moving to.

This isn't a "Bill vs. Alan" thing, but I think it's at least arguable that Alan was the perfect drummer for where the others wanted to take the band from 1973 onward. It shows up in the '72 performances of the CTTE songs captured on Yessongs.

RIP Alan. [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP. Sad news for his family, friends, and fans. Was just talking about him and things Yes, then come home to this!

"I read the news today, oh boy."

RIP Alan. I can't say this has come as a great surprise, but it's sad all the same. Alan could have had an awesome career as a session drummer to the royalty of rock, but he chose the harder path instead. Backing a band with intense personalities who created music that challenged him as a musician must have left him occasionally wondering "What did I sign up for here?" But he always handled everything with grace and professionalism. It's a testimony to his character that Yes always pushed Alan out to represent the band when the press came knocking because everyone knew Alan would never say anything to embarrass them. Sometimes that frustrated me because I felt the band were hiding behind his ultra-diplomatic front. But it served them well and only bolstered Alan's rep as a consummate class act. He'll be missed.

Speaking of, am I out of line to suggest Yes actually audition drummers to replace Alan, rather than just handing the job to Jay Schellen? I know that goes against their MO, but the drummer position in Yes has always been pretty important and I'd hate for them to miss out on bringing someone into the fold who might have a lot to offer on the creative front.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Godspeed Alan thank you for everything.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post

Yes also immediately became a very different band after he joined, and arguably a better live band for the atmosphere of big arenas and stadiums they were moving to.

This isn't a "Bill vs. Alan" thing, but I think it's at least arguable that Alan was the perfect drummer for where the others wanted to take the band from 1973 onward. It shows up in the '72 performances of the CTTE songs captured on Yessongs.
    I agree with this 100% - right guy at the right moment for all involved

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Rest in peace Alan White. Thank you for everything.

So very sad. Rest easy sir.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

A true gentleman, percussion genius and wonderful performer, to be greatly missed.
    RIP Dear Alan, I am heartbroken and although we knew he was ill, this came a shock like I am sure to all Yesfans.

Condolences to Gigi and the White family.

Oh no!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Great player, and a great fit for Yes peak albums. He was there to sustain the music, not to shine individually.
    Giants under the sun retreat...to the skies.

Absolutely incredible drummer. One of the nicest musicians I've ever met. Quickly ran downstairs and recorded a cover of my favorite Yes tune "Endless Dream" in tribute. One of the more overlooked Yes tunes I feel that Alan's playing was absolutely incredible on. A powerhouse of a drummer.

RIP

R.I.P.

It's sad because we lost a musician that we all admire. But it's sadder still, reading what others have had to say about what a kind soul, what a good friend, what a gentleman he was.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry to hear it. I knew of his frail and generally diminishing health of recent years, quite obviously - but just as obviously not to which extent.

Time to respin Relayer. And I'm actually one of those who sincerely enjoy parts of Ramshackled, so I'll go there afterwards. And then on.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    R.I.P.

It's sad because we lost a musician that we all admire. But it's sadder still, reading what others have had to say about what a kind soul, what a good friend, what a gentleman he was.
    Well said.... What a pedigree. To have played with John and George and YES!

I did have the pleasure of meeting him twice and he was indeed a kind, sweet soul. It is nice to think that he and Chris are together again!

After decades of providing the beat, may he rest in peace.

RIP Alan White, who is, for me, the Yes drummer.

Something that needs saying: amidst all the lineup changes, drama queening, and petty grievances that characterize so much of the history of Yes, Alan White was the quiet presence who just kept showing up with a positive attitude to do the job year after year. They were damned lucky to have him.
    Well said.

Alan was part of "the classic Yes line-up" and I fully agree. And Drama certainly wouldn't be what it is without him.

You never hear a bad thing about him. From a couple brief encounters with him I found him to be what you always heard.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I can’t recall a single interview or moment where I thought that Alan White came across as a jerk which is uncommon for a rocker with such a long career. He always seemed like a very sensible, kind and levelheaded team player and, of course, he was a great musician who could make himself at home in a wide spectrum of songs and settings, both simple and complex.
    Well said. That has been my impression of Alan White also.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/