Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthesizer on KC's Larks' Tongues in Aspic?

Then there was "can I do one more immediately?" I read a magazine article where the writer (reasonably, I think) assumed this was Fripp, so whenever I read a quote from Fripp I imagined it with that voice. Eventually I learned that Muir said it and that Fripp's voice doesn't sound like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Islands era band used the VCS3 onstage, but I can't think of anywhere it appears on the album. Where do you think you hear synth?

Edit: I take it back. According to Sid Smith again, the VCS3 was used to filter Fripp's guitar sound on the "Sailor's Tale" solo.
    I was under the impression that the VCS3 was in Sinfield's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Back in the early 70s when I heard Lizard I was under the impression that the laughter ending Indoor Games and the agonizing scream in Cirkus were intentionally part of the songs to give them character. It was not that way at all. Gordon Haskell busted out laughing because he thought the lyrics were ridiculous. Then his scream of frustration in Cirkus was again based upon his distaste for the lyrics.
    His laugh and scream were sinister and fit the album. Haskell claimed he struggled through most of the material ..but I believe he had a strange voice and it brought dimension to Lizard.
    I've always taken Haskell's comment about Lizard with a grain of salt. Revisionism is more like it.
    OK, he hated being in the band (that's understandable: caught between the Frippian Anvil and the Sinfieldian Hammer is not heaven's gift) and the music.
    More than the lyrics (which were Sinfield's), he hated the music (which was Fripp's). The maniac's laugh is not one that someone would find something ridiculous. It fits the track all too well
    Haskell knew Fripp before Crimson, so I suspect that he must've been aware of Fripp's three previous recorded works and must've listened to them prior to joining the band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

OK, this is seriously FUN. Both Bruf and Muir isolated only.

Quote Originally Posted by mkewlms View Post
    Pretty sure it’s a whirling instrument played by Jamie Muir.
    Yeah, on the Beat Club video footage, you can see Muir using it and it makes the exact same sound we're talkign about.

I thought read somewhere that the wind effect was a wah wah pedal through a cranked amp, so you got a lot of noise and hiss, and it's just Chuckles rocking the pedal back and for without playing anything on the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Speaking of odd sounds on that album, it is funny how the "evil laughter" child's toy on Easy Money also turns up in all three songs on side two of Zappa's Drowning Witch album in the 80's.
    The "laugh box" was, IIRC, a popular toy in the 70's.

What about the (brief) laugh at the very end of Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom (following the Ivor Cutler bit in "Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road")? That doesn't sound like human laughter (unlike on "Within You Without You", for example), but not "evil" sounding either.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.