Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Eloy - Ocean

FEATURED ALBUM: Eloy - Ocean

I was recently listening to Colours and thinking it might be becoming my favorite Eloy album. But I featured that one some years ago, so I'll go with Ocean instead.

Where does Ocean rank in your Eloy journey? Granted, you have the "Inside, Floating, and who cares?" crowd. And if you can't stand Bornemann's vocals, you probably aren't listening to Eloy anyway. For me, Ocean floats near the top. There's something about their ability to sort of "neo-progify" Pink Floyd that hits the right cylinders.

Review from ProgArchives
    I won't forget the day I bought this album. I was already familiar with "Floating", but little did I know what I'll have in store when I bought "Ocean". I was stunned! Progressive space rock taken to the extremes. This was their second album with the new lineup. To me I felt "Dawn" sounded like the band was messing about maybe a little too much, but it's still full of good material. With "Ocean" they really got their stuff together and created one of the most "out there" space rock albums ever! They created a concept album about the rise and destruction of Atlantis, from creation, the rise of civilization, civilization becoming corrupt, and the destruction by the Gods who had enough. At least that's how I interprited the lyrics on the album.

The album starts off with "Poseidon's Creation". The album starts of with some guitar and string synths, eventually the drums and bass kick in. There's a lead guitar solo from Frank Bornemann that sounded like it came of "Meddle", and it's only the late '70s string synths that let you know this is not "Meddle". Eventually the vocals kick in, singing about "Poseidon". The string synths keep staying. Eventually, once the singing is over, is some great Moog and guitar solos. You get to hear the talents of bassist Klaus-Peter Matziol as well, where he gives us a little slap bass. Eventually the song ends with a rather impressive sounding choir (might not be a choir, but the band members themselves). I was completely blown away by "Incarnation of Logos". Mainly it starts off with just Frank Bornemann singing (about the formation of the planets and of Atlantis) and Detlev Schmidtchen giving us some over-the-top string synths. You'll also hear some spoken dialog. Then the music picks up speed with the whole band participating, with some killer synth solos. "Decay of Logos" seems to be about the corruption of Atlantis, greed, lust for power, wars, etc. It starts of with more spacy synths, but eventually it become the more aggressive number on the album, almost verging on hard rock. The last cut, "Atlantis' Agony at June 5 - 8498, 13 PM Gregorian Earthtime" (about the final destruction of Atlantis by the Gods) is most problematic of the album, at least by many. I don't have such a problem myself, but some think the first half is tedious. Here, the song starts off with some narration. The string synths kick in, and keep droning for the next 8 minutes or so. Narrations keep popping up from time to time. But there's more than just synth dronings here. There are bizarre wailing sounds played on an ARP 2600 synthesizer, an out-of-this-world pipe organ (at least, an electronic keyboard that sounds like one), and various other subtleties that often gets overlooked, and maybe that's why I was never bored with it. After that big "pipe organ" at the end, and the final narration, the band finally gets to business. That means, real singing, band participation, the usual great Moog solos, and that overall great spacy feel.

This is totally unreal. There must have been something in the air in Germany in '77 (in the cocaine-dominated world of '77, it seems to me that pot and LSD were still dominant in Germany in '77) to have a record-buying public to make "Ocean" outsell such better known acts as GENESIS and QUEEN in ELOY's home country.

Yes, ELOY has often gotten a bad rap. The singing, the songwriting, etc. Yes, this album is totally '70s, you can't get around that fact. Yes, Frank Bornemann needs some brushing on the English language. But I think this is a way cool album. For those who want off-the-wall spacy prog rock, you can't go wrong here. - Proghead

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Great album. Some of the best percussion work the band ever did. The spoken word sections have not aged all that well, but that is a minor quibble. Not my favorite from the band, but one of their best.

My favorite Eloy, along with Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes.

Unabashed fan of Eloy with no apologies to those who don't like Frank B's vocals. (Too bad.) Klaus-Peter Matziol is one kickass bass player, too.

Ocean was my intro to these guys and it holds up. It's not my #1 album (that's either Colours or Planets), and I do prefer the live Ocean stuff on, uh, Live, but Ocean's a proven classic. It seems like the gateway album for just about everyone, too.

And, no, Eloy ain't no "Floyd clone." Please stop that nonsense, whoever you are.

Ocean ranks fairly high in their catalogue for me. I prefer it to the two that preceded it, though the early albums are still my favourites. But overall, it's a strong run of albums, and the first live album is included in that for me (I believe from the Ocean tour).

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I was recently listening to Colours and thinking it might be becoming my favorite Eloy album. But I featured that one some years ago, so I'll go with Ocean instead.
    Speaking of Colours, a friend of mine holidayed in Germany a couple of years ago and went to Frank Bornemann's house to spend the afternoon with him. When he got back, he surprised me with a Colours CD signed by Frank with a personalized note to me! He even snapped a photo of him doing it. Cool little item to have.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fantastic album. All those Eloy records from the 70's and 80's were great.

If I had to be pinned down and pick a favorite Eloy album, it would be Colours. But that 5-album stretch from Power And The Passion through Colours can do no wrong in my book. Oddly enough, the very first Eloy album I ever bought (back before the internet and such was available to inform a bit) was a 7-song compilation album called "Wings of Vision" that had the same cover art as "Ocean". It kicked off with " Poseidon's Creation " and I was hooked. If I recall correctly, it also included songs from "Dawn", "Colours" and "Silent Cries". What a treat once I found out that those songs were all from those other albums and dove in to their catalog. Ocean ranks near the top of the Eloy heap for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Great album. Some of the best percussion work the band ever did. The spoken word sections have not aged all that well, but that is a minor quibble. Not my favorite from the band, but one of their best.
    Agreed on the percussion! Rosenthal was on fire on this record.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Same here. I haven't actually listened to the earlier albums very much or in a long time. But these two are so good, and I'd put Oceans at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    And, no, Eloy ain't no "Floyd clone." Please stop that nonsense, whoever you are.
    I used to think that in the 80s Floyd SHOULD have been doing something more like what Eloy was doing, not what Floyd WAS doing. Well, the opening of Silent Cries... is certainly heavily Floyd influenced, you can't really deny that. But there's nothing really wrong with that, overall, no, they're not a clone of anyone.

I'm not sure how Borneman couldn't see that his Joan of Arc albums had a bad balance of narration to music. If he sold versions of the albums without the narration, those might sell. But I had a hard time hunting around for decent music on those albums. He should have taken more of a cue from the popular previous albums and not gone overboard on the narration.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not a big Eloy fan but I like this one and Silent Cries about equally
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Silent cries and mighty echoes was my introduction with Eloy and the only one I own on vinyl. And I think Ocean is probably my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Unabashed fan of Eloy with no apologies to those who don't like Frank B's vocals. (Too bad.) Klaus-Peter Matziol is one kickass bass player, too.

Ocean was my intro to these guys and it holds up. It's not my #1 album (that's either Colours or Planets), and I do prefer the live Ocean stuff on, uh, Live, but Ocean's a proven classic. It seems like the gateway album for just about everyone, too.

Yeah, the live Ocean is great.

I don't consider them a Floyd clone, though Silent cries and mighty echoes has some parts that sound like Wish you were here.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes the percussion is great. I love those toms.

I have a soft spot for Eloy. I always liked the vocals too. I think that Frank Bornemans voice with his heavy German accent give the music something very distinct.

My favorites are the early albums Inside and Floating. Ocean is up there with the rest of them. Everything upto Time to Turn is pretty ok for me .

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have a soft spot for Eloy. I always liked the vocals too. I think that Frank Bornemans voice with his heavy German accent give the music something very distinct.

My favorites are the early albums Inside and Floating. Ocean is up there with the rest of them. Everything upto Time to Turn is pretty ok for me .
    I never had problems with the voice of Frank Borneman. I love the mid-period. Some later stuff has less of a group-feeling. I always have to laugh on the dedication on Silent cries and mighty echoes.

And of course I like Ego on the Rocks.

This and Floating are my favourites by them...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Listening to it right now. That opening with the drums, is pure heaven. I can almost imagine how to picture this on stage with smoke and lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Where does Ocean rank in your Eloy journey? Granted, you have the "Inside, Floating, and who cares?" crowd. And if you can't stand Bornemann's vocals, you probably aren't listening to Eloy anyway. For me, Ocean floats near the top. There's something about their ability to sort of "neo-progify" Pink Floyd that hits the right cylinders.
    guilty as charged vainqueur.gif vfblblbl.gifyippie.gif

I alsi like very much their debut.
    But TBH, the later 70's stuffis not my cuppa.

Never thought Eloy as a Floyd clone, BTW
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    I concur with all of the praise being heaped upon this monster of an album; it is hard to describe how much enjoyment the Eloy albums have provided over the years and they still sound great to this day. Both "Silent Cries" and this one are on my Top 50 albums of all time. I bought both of them on vinyl as imports from Intergalactic Trading Co. when they were first released and then replaced them with CD's from CD BBQ. I am also quite fond of "Colours" and "Planets".

While not given a lot of respect, I found "Ocean 2 - The Answer" to be quite good and I am surprised that there isn't more mention of it on this thread. It isn't really much of a sequel to "Ocean", however for a later work it still was solid spacey Prog and definitely worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I concur with all of the praise being heaped upon this monster of an album; it is hard to describe how much enjoyment the Eloy albums have provided over the years and they still sound great to this day. Both "Silent Cries" and this one are on my Top 50 albums of all time. I bought both of them on vinyl as imports from Intergalactic Trading Co. when they were first released and then replaced them with CD's from CD BBQ. I am also quite fond of "Colours" and "Planets".

While not given a lot of respect, I found "Ocean 2 - The Answer" to be quite good and I am surprised that there isn't more mention of it on this thread. It isn't really much of a sequel to "Ocean", however for a later work it still was solid spacey Prog and definitely worth owning.
    I have to admit, I don't like Ocean 2 as much as Ocean. I think I miss the group feeling.

I would agree about Ocean 2. Well worth having.

Great album. I love all their stuff from Inside up to and including Time to Turn.

Ocean might not be my favourite (I adore the album cover), but still it is a stone cold classic.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    This and Floating are my favourites by them...
    same here! and isn't it surprising how big of a name Eloy were in the 80's and early 90's in Greece? I mean I knew the name, without ever having listened to anything from them, like some sort of psychedelic frontrunners.
    I consider Ocean their most overtly progressive album, and what a start to the whole record - the introduction in Poseidon's Creation is just glorious. I believe they've hit with Ocean a very subtle and unique atmosphere, spacey and mystical, which they were never able to reproduce before or after. So in a sense Ocean is their peak creatively speaking. To me the Floyd associations already sound disconcerting in Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, although this too is more than a fine record.

While not given a lot of respect, I found "Ocean 2 - The Answer" to be quite good and I am surprised that there isn't more mention of it on this thread.
    This thread needs a few more posts to build up to it.

It is a glorious work of art and music is an art ...and this particular album from Eloy gives me the impression that the band really worked hard on this album...although it's also very possible that it came natural to them during the process of composing.

Prior to Ocean...the band had been taking a different direction most notable in a few of Ocean's predecessors. On Ocean ...everything just falls in place beautifully and particularly the way it flows when you listen to it in its entirety. I think that's an amazing accomplishment right there..

Hell...they must have put some long hours into getting this album right...The drumming...I swear...it comes across with such individuality...but yet it doesn't get in the way of the other instruments..and the sound of the drums throughout this album makes the album more epic.

The chord progressions are really creative. The song ideas are interesting and sometimes when I'm listening to Ocean it feels theatrical. It's a bit dramatic and eerie in sections and it's done very well. The album was definitely a step forward for Eloy. It was quite mind blowing hearing it for the first time in the analog age.

I touched on this album briefly on the Desert Island Discs episode of In The Prog Seat. IMO Ocean is only eeked out by Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes for one reason - the live versions of material from Ocean that was released on Eloy Live are even better than the studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I touched on this album briefly on the Desert Island Discs episode of In The Prog Seat. IMO Ocean is only eeked out by Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes for one reason - the live versions of material from Ocean that was released on Eloy Live are even better than the studio album.
    I think you are right. Eloy was at the top of their game at that moment in my opinion. I know the leader of my favorite German group really hate their music, but it doesn't matter to me. Don't even feel a little bit of guilt, which I still feel with Flairck, because my pianoteacher had a negative opinion on them.