Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live albums with lousy sound

Live albums with lousy sound

The Chicago At Carnegie Hall thread got me thinking about things. The members of Chicago, or some of them, anyway, have always maintained that the sound on that album wasn't terrible, because the "Carnegie Hall wasn't built for electric music". In particular, James Pankow said the horn section "sounded like kazoos". I don't agree with that assessment, but I did make me wonder if there are any live albums out there that have genuinely bad sound quality. The only one I can think of is King Crimson Earthbound. Anything else I think of sounds more or less great.

Note: I'm not talking about bootlegs, or archival things where whichever band decided to put out an audience tape as an archival release (as occurred with some of the King Crimson Collector's Club things), I mean a regular live album, that was released at the time of it's recording, or soon thereafter. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'll cast my vote for a couple of Yes releases. Yessongs was not too great and has never been improved. And 2nd, though not released on LP or CD...originally on laserdisc then on DVD (IIRC) Yes-QPR was abysmal.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

If I remember it correctly, the Kinks' Live Kinks. The girls screaming made the rekkid almost unlistenable.

The audience noise on the Yardbirds Live featuring Jimmy Page is distracting.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Stones’ Got LIVE If You Want It was the hottest of messes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Yessongs was not too great and has never been improved.
    This was my first thought.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Welcome Back.. by ELP had disappointing sound.

Maybe "lousy" is going too far, but the Mothers Fillmore East 1971 was surprisingly grungy for a multitrack recording at a good hall, especially since Zappa tended to prefer polished recordings. I'm curious how the new release will compare.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And some of it is studio recordings with screaming girls overdubbed.

I forgot about that one. Isn't that effectively an audience recording? I thought I read once they just hung a couple mics from the balcony. At any rate, the band apparently disowned it.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    That's what happens when you skip doing a proper stereo mix, and simply fold down the quad mix into stereo.

The King Biscuit release had some of the same recordings used for WBMFTTSTNE (one giveaway is the doofus in the audience who yells "Get crazy!" before "Lucky Man") in superior sound.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

There's a fan edit around of the original mono album mix (cutting the two fake live tracks) and I actually enjoy it! The version on CD, which is some sort of remix, not so much.

A few of those 60s 'live' albums are weird composites. Beach Boys Concert is another one.

I'm not sure if it's just the CD but Black Sabbath's Live Evil really sounds weird. Very odd mixing choices made, in places.

I don't like the typically 80s mix of John Lennon's Live In NYC. Crappy drum sound.

The King Biscuit release had some of the same recordings used for WBMFTTSTNE (one giveaway is the doofus in the audience who yells "Get crazy!" before "Lucky Man") in superior sound.
    Yeah, those were probably the only tracks that got a proper stereo mix.

And you remind me, I totally forgot about ELP In Concert/Works Live. That's got pretty terrible sound too, in particular, Lake's infamous "bedspring" bass sound.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It would be easier for me to name live albums I didn't think sound like shit. And the ones I do like were probably "sweetened" anyway.

Yes Works Live is a sonic disaster. And it's bizarrely sequenced- ending with 'Tank'?- whilst leaving off 'Pirates'.

I believe there are issues with the multi-tracks. From memory the mono video of the Montreal show didn't have the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's what happens when you skip doing a proper stereo mix, and simply fold down the quad mix into stereo.
    This is supposed to be a reason for the poor sound on the Grateful Dead's Steal Your Face too.

On Your Feet, Or On Your Knees by BOC had the vocals intentionally down in the mix, because they didn't think they were good singers. At least that's what they said in a magazine interview around the time of release. Did they ever go back and remix it?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    On Your Feet, Or On Your Knees by BOC had the vocals intentionally down in the mix, because they didn't think they were good singers. At least that's what they said in a magazine interview around the time of release. Did they ever go back and remix it?
    I have the B.O.C. complete album collection box set that they came out with a few years ago and I thought the CD sounded better than the original LP that I have, but maybe it is just my imagination. Not sure if it was re-mixed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    EARTHBOUND.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eons are closing
    As noted in Post #1 [emoji854]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

This is supposed to be a reason for the poor sound on the Grateful Dead's Steal Your Face too.
    I've never actually heard Steal Your Face, so I don't know how bad it sounds. But I remember Owsley talking about working on that project, talking about how frelled up the master tapes were, there was stuff missing on the tapes, and they had to do a lot of overdubs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This was my first thought.
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    EARTHBOUND.
    True - but the lousy raw sound has a certain charm.

Every album released during the various UK reunions, but I’m pretty sure that’s due to my faulty sound system and not a fault of anyone involved with recording, producing or releasing said albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    If I remember it correctly, the Kinks' Live Kinks. The girls screaming made the rekkid almost unlistenable.

The audience noise on the Yardbirds Live featuring Jimmy Page is distracting.
    I remember it being an audience at a bullfight mixed in to the original live recording..which Page disliked..and so he released Yardbirds 68' without that kind of noise in the mix ...and it sounds much better overall except for Keith Relf singing off key along with his voice cracking. I believe that could be attributed to drink. His voice sounds fine with Renaissance.