Thread: PFM and... Patti Smith

PFM and... Patti Smith

Never know what you'll find on YouTube. In this case, punk icon Patti Smith performing a classic PFM cut:

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Never know what you'll find on YouTube. In this case, punk icon Patti Smith performing a classic PFM cut
    OK, that was just surreal. I would never have bet money that Patti Smith had ever *heard* of PFM.

And was that Bryan Ferry as compére?

How weird! When I saw the video still, I said to myself, “what is Gianni Morandi doing there?” Then I saw it was from San Remo...

It’s a nice version. And I think Patti’s English lyrics are much better, and far more in the spirit of the original song, than Pete Sinfield’s.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Merry-Go-Round”-Grobschnitt

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think Patti’s English lyrics are much better, and far more in the spirit of the original song, than Pete Sinfield’s.
    Hm. Not too surprising that an existentialist, free-spirited proto-punk anarcho-poet outdoes a wannabe-Rilke'ian knightleyhood-embezzler, IMO. And FWIW, I love Sinfield's lyrics on the early KC records.

Believe it or not, but Premiata Forneria Marconi actually could've had somewhat of a star with a certain leftist niche within Smith's generation of rockers, due to their sometimes overt plays on political metaphors and allegory. They were only one of numerous "slightly radical" groups from Italy at the time, but one of very few to attract any attention abroad. Obviously, Italy's progressive scene had their share of very radical artists as well, but that discussion usually stops before it starts in here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    How weird! When I saw the video still, I said to myself, “what is Gianni Morandi doing there?” Then I saw it was from San Remo...

It’s a nice version. And I think Patti’s English lyrics are much better, and far more in the spirit of the original song, than Pete Sinfield’s.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“Merry-Go-Round”-Grobschnitt
    Sorry but wasn't "The World became the World" an instrumental.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    OK, that was just surreal. I would never have bet money that Patti Smith had ever *heard* of PFM.
    I'm not saying youpersonally, but there's this feeling from prog fans that artists from other genres like punk don't know prog but i bet most would be surprised. the same gos the other way too, while prog fans slam some genres, their fav prog stars love it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    I'm not saying youpersonally, but there's this feeling from prog fans that artists from other genres like punk don't know prog but i bet most would be surprised.
    Bands like King Crimson, ELP and Genesis, sure. But PFM? I guess they were bigger in the 70s over here than I give them credit for.

they did tour here back then, so ya never know how somebody gets turned on to them. the atrists usually find good art.

This Marlene Kunz band are (where) not unkown in Italy and did this cover for some time before they performed with Patti.
    So its not clear if she ever heared the original.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Sorry but wasn't "The World became the World" an instrumental.
    No. The original Italian version "Impression Di Septembre" and the English version both have vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    This Marlene Kunz band are (where) not unkown in Italy and did this cover for some time before they performed with Patti.
    So its not clear if she ever heared the original.
    Yeah, that was my feeling as well. It looks like some awards show, or some special "evening of music" or something. That being the case, it's possible that the producers had the idea to have that song sung by an American guest (in this case, Patti). So she might not have ever heard it before rehearsals. But who knows?

I can say that years ago I set up a MySpace page for the VdGG book I co-wrote. Out of the blue, I was contacted with a friend request from Ivan Krall, Patti Smith's bassist (also spent time with Iggy). I was bowled over because I like some Patti Smith quite a bit, I used to listen to Radio Ethiopia and Easter all the time (saw her live 15 yrs ago as well), so of course I knew who Ivan Krall was. We had a little back & forth exchange and it turned out that he was a major VdGG fan dating back to the 70s. I asked him how he got into them and he told me that he remembers coming home one night from rehearsals in the mid 70s (he was living in an apartment in NYC). He heard music coming down the hall from another apartment and it wasn't the usual sort of punk stuff he was used to. In his words it sounded much more intelligent! So the next day he asked his neighbors what it was and it was Van der Graaf. From there on he'd listen to the cassettes on tour, etc.

So you never know. Maybe Patti did know who PFM was beforehand... Stranger things, etc (like having Ivan Krall contact you out of the blue!)