Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make 'Exposure' a masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    And, let's not forget that Fripp altered the album with alternate performances on the "Remixed, Remastered, Rekindled" version that was the basis for the CD and that the "original" version of the LP was not available on CD until recent megaset. So, if someone bought the CD first they would have been "exposed" to a different version and not even known it.
    But that's different than 86ing "Mary." Some of the changes were contractual; some of them were usual Frippery (like axing his lead guitar on "Matte Kudesai").

This comes up when discussing Zappa's re-imagingings/remixes, too. Some people are deadset against it; others feel that, as the artist in question, they have the right to do whatever they want to their art. I fall squarely in the latter, regardless of my personal enjoyment of the alterations.

It is nice, at the end of the day, to have all three versions of Exposure (EG CD and the two versions on the '06 remaster) and multiple versions of Zappa's work (as is the case with Lumpy Money).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, I couldn't find the whole album anywhere only individual tracks. However, on Spotify I did find an album called The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior, which I'd never heard of. I'm listening to it now, MAN... why haven't I heard this before? Why don't people tell me about these things? It is totally kicking my ass!!! It's fantastic! What is it, I don't know, avant-garde rock soundscapes? To be honest I don't care what it is, I just want it to keep going and going and when it stops I'll start from track one again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Well, I couldn't find the whole album anywhere only individual tracks.
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...17&style=music

^ Gunn, Fripp and Rieflin. That album is monster. Fits right in with the ProjeKcts.

You're supposed to listen to the tracks on random.

If you like that and haven't heard the ProjeKcts, check them out. Also consider some of Gunn's solo albums or his work with TU (Gunn and Mastelotto) and KTU (Gunn, Mastelotto, accordion player Kimmo Pohjonen and electronics guy Samuli Kosminen (more or less--he's only on one of their albums).

Thanks Banquo but I mean streamed like Spotify, Rdio so I can listen to it now. That site only plays 30 seconds of each track.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    If you like that and haven't heard the ProjeKcts, check them out. Also consider some of Gunn's solo albums or his work with TU (Gunn and Mastelotto) and KTU (Gunn, Mastelotto, accordion player Kimmo Pohjonen and electronics guy Samuli Kosminen (more or less--he's only on one of their albums).
    Thanks, will do. Currently on track 9 - Brown Souffle

I think of the album as 1 piece, so, by default - yes!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    But that's different than 86ing "Mary."
    But, how would you know that you liked it if Fripp had never included it to begin with?

And, there is always going to be someone who likes a song that everyone else doesn't.

I think it's one of the greatest albums ever. Better than any KC, almost faultless.

C'mon. You enjoy "First Inaugural Address to the I.A.C.E. House Sherborne House"?
    It's a real toe-tapper. That JG Bennet really knew how to rock out ! But I think it, like the League Of Gentlemen LP serves as an audio snapshot of where Fripp was at the time, although I take your point that the LoG was an instrumental band live, and that the original LP might be said to be somewhat unrepresentative...

I am also guilty as charged for sometimes making my own edit of an album to make it a better listen...if you've ever heard Mike Oldfield's original Ommadawn recording which he sent to Virgin as a work in progress, there is a shocking interruption towards the end of the first part where Oldfield starts telling stupid jokes obliterating the music in the process. I think it was to play a prank on Richard Branson (who was no doubt banking on this LP to make his next million) but THAT had to be edited out pretty sharpish in order for me to ever listen to it again !

But, how would you know that you liked it if Fripp had never included it to begin with?

I guess I wouldn't?

The only changes I'd seriously consider would be to use "Disengage II" rather than the Hammill version, and I'd ditch "Here Comes the Flood" completely - it's too sentimental for this album.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Well, I couldn't find the whole album anywhere only individual tracks. However, on Spotify I did find an album called The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior, which I'd never heard of. I'm listening to it now, MAN... why haven't I heard this before? Why don't people tell me about these things? It is totally kicking my ass!!! It's fantastic! What is it, I don't know, avant-garde rock soundscapes? To be honest I don't care what it is, I just want it to keep going and going and when it stops I'll start from track one again.
    If you like that, you'll like the ProjeKcts, a phase of King Crimson between THRAK and The ConstruKction of Light.

The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior was recorded recorded late in the ProjeKcts period. I think Fripp was wondering whether or not to ask if Bill Reiflin wanted to join Crimson once he was sure that Bruford had no more interest in the band.

There were four ProjeKcts, each a different, smaller configuration of musicians in the THRAK double trio. All feature Fripp. My favorites are ProjeKcts Three and Four. I also think that Bruford/Levin Upper Extremities (B.L.U.E.), done without Fripp, is a worthy artifact from the same period.
    Last edited by notallwhowander; 03-25-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Oh, and I stand with the "let Exposure be the weird, eclectic mix that it is" camp.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Well, all I know is that if "Mary" had been on an ELP album no one would restrain themselves from trashing it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, all I know is that if "Mary" had been on an ELP album no one would restrain themselves from trashing it.
    How are you so sure anyone is showing restraint? Seems you're looking for something?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Not even close. A disjointed mess of an album. Huge disappointment at the time and hasn't aged any better.

Barely even really worth pulling out for the great "Here Comes the Flood."
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Not even close. A disjointed mess of an album. Huge disappointment at the time and hasn't aged any better.

Barely even really worth pulling out for the great "Here Comes the Flood."
    I couldn't disagree more.
    I love the disjointed feel, it's like turning on a schizophrenic radio station.
    I consider this one of my favorite albums of all time.

I don't see how anyone who is into Crimson wouldn't love "Breathless", "Disengage", or "NY3".

Apparently, this record is getting the Steven Wilson treatment. It's being released in May 2022. I'm tempted, but will probably live with my original vinyl.

It's perfect as it is. One of my all time favourites, ahead of a lot of the KC stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Apparently, this record is getting the Steven Wilson treatment.
    Just what everything and -one really needed for sure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The original vinyl release is one of my favorite albums. All of it. Every disjointed lurching from song to song moment. The Bennett spoken word Frippertronics into "Here Comes the Flood" is such a perfect combination that it simply gives me an out of body experience.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was thinking last night about how Eno, Fripp, David Byrne, and that whole crew who were active and producing good music during the 80s formed the backbone of my music listening during the early through the late 80s. And this includes much of the music they created in the late 70s with Gabriel, Talking Heads, League of Gentlemen, Phil Manzanera, Bowie, Laurie Anderson, and solo projects, though for some reason I've never been a huge Roxy Music fan - obviously YMMV. The Catherine Wheel was another album I got a lot of mileage out of. That covers a lot of material. If not for those guys, I think we'd have experienced an 80s musical landscape that was a lot less progressive.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Just what everything and -one really needed for sure.
    I'm sure this has been in the works for years. It's just that there's only so much Steven Wilson to go around.