Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

I've started a habit in the last year to lay back and watch prog DVD on Friday nights.
    What ones have you acquired or what are your favourites?
    I might need to explore further.

Today's haul:

1) RPWL - Live From Outer Space
    2) Goblin - Live in Austin, Texas
    3) Camel - Moonmadness - Royal Albert Hall
    4) Camel - Footage II (Vintage stuff from the 70s)
    5) Marillion - With Friends at David's
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I think Gentle Giant's Giant On The Box is one of the best out there.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That really early footage of Rush performing at the school is great fun - it's on a couple of the Rush DVD releases. Probably on also on YouTube though.

RE: Marillion, the Sunday night from the Holidays in Zelande set (from the 2011 Marillion Weekend) is great. The name of the show was The Glow Must Go On, and for each number, the audience was given two choices, and they voted on which one the band should play by waving glowsticks. The 5DVD set had a strange release schedule, where Disk 1 was sold first, in a box that had space for 5 disks. Then disks 2&3 and 4&5 were sold in two separate pairs. I forget exactly how/why it was done this way, but disk 1 is sold out, and you can buy disks 2&3 and 4&5 is two separate pairs in plain card sleeves for cheap! 5 British Pounds per pair! Or you could splurge on the 3BD set which is still available for 35 Pounds. That show is a LOT of fun for repeat viewings because I never remember quite what the audiences choices were and what they voted for, but that makes up the set list which is a good one! I was at that Weekend in Montreal, and it was one of my favorite Marillion concerts because the voting was such a fun idea!

Here's the link for disks 4&5 which is the Glow Must Go On set on DVD:

https://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/racket105nc.htm

My all-time favorite live Marillion DVD is Bootleg Butlins, which is of the Sunday night of the 2005 weekend in Minehead. It was a set of all mellow songs (I know, MORE mellow?), and it's just great. But it's OOP, so look for a used copy. It's an official bootleg, but it looks and sounds fine to me! Fewer cameras, etc. I guess.

My recent DVD haul is the Nicolas Cage remake of The Wicker Man for fifty cents at the junk shop down the road.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Live at the Apollo from the 2001 reunion Roxy Music tour is worth getting.

^ You got taken.

Deep Purple- "Live in Concert 72/73"
    Secret Chiefs 3- "Live at the Great American Music Hall"
    Camel- "Coming of Age"

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You got taken.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That really early footage of Rush performing at the school is great fun
    Yeah, when John Rutsey was the one making the announcements to the audience!

Marillion, the Sunday night from the Holidays in Zelande set (from the 2011 Marillion Weekend) is great. The name of the show was The Glow Must Go On,
    That was great fun to attend (in Montreal).

My favourite live Marillion DVD is Somewhere In London. Excellent setlist, stellar performance.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think Gentle Giant's Giant On The Box is one of the best out there.
    That' a great choice Lorne. Haven't played it in ages, need to rectify.

That really early footage of Rush performing at the school is great fun - it's on a couple of the Rush DVD releases. Probably on also on YouTube though.

RE: Marillion, the Sunday night from the Holidays in Zelande set (from the 2011 Marillion Weekend) is great. The name of the show was The Glow Must Go On, and for each number, the audience was given two choices, and they voted on which one the band should play by waving glowsticks. The 5DVD set had a strange release schedule, where Disk 1 was sold first, in a box that had space for 5 disks. Then disks 2&3 and 4&5 were sold in two separate pairs. I forget exactly how/why it was done this way, but disk 1 is sold out, and you can buy disks 2&3 and 4&5 is two separate pairs in plain card sleeves for cheap! 5 British Pounds per pair! Or you could splurge on the 3BD set which is still available for 35 Pounds. That show is a LOT of fun for repeat viewings because I never remember quite what the audiences choices were and what they voted for, but that makes up the set list which is a good one! I was at that Weekend in Montreal, and it was one of my favorite Marillion concerts because the voting was such a fun idea!

Here's the link for disks 4&5 which is the Glow Must Go On set on DVD:

https://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/racket105nc.htm

My all-time favorite live Marillion DVD is Bootleg Butlins, which is of the Sunday night of the 2005 weekend in Minehead. It was a set of all mellow songs (I know, MORE mellow?), and it's just great. But it's OOP, so look for a used copy. It's an official bootleg, but it looks and sounds fine to me! Fewer cameras, etc. I guess.
    I may be as big a Marillion fan as you Jed (maybe!!). Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

I just checked on Amazon and found a Live At The Apollo - may try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Deep Purple- "Live in Concert 72/73"
    Secret Chiefs 3- "Live at the Great American Music Hall"
    Camel- "Coming of Age"
    I've heard of Secrets Chiefs but don't own anything. I just bought 2 Camels - maybe later. I'll likely follow-up on the Deep Purple DVD.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-10-2022 at 09:01 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, when John Rutsey was the one making the announcements to the audience!

That was great fun to attend (in Montreal).

My favourite live Marillion DVD is Somewhere In London. Excellent setlist, stellar performance.
    I wasn't as many Montreal shows as you but did three. They were all stellar. I have the Somewhere In London and will have to replay that too!

Huh?
    You jumped in while I was typing. I was replying to EBES's post.

You jumped in while I was typing. I was replying to EBES's post.
    Ah.

Some more that I really enjoyed are the live sets from Klaus Schulze,

Dziękuję bardzo (w. Lisa Gerrard)
    Rheingold (w. Lisa Gerrard)
    Big in Europe (w. Lisa Gerrard)
    Big in Japan

Not a lot of action, but they sound and look great.

Just lost a extremely good friend to cancer. And he has left me his entire collection of dvd’s A lot still unopened too, altogether I have reiceved 150 dvd’s if I have counted right. Gong, Tull,Bowie, He drizzle etc are amongst them. Thanks a lot Terry, and Rest in Peace.

I saw them back in the 70's. I don't remember anything about the show, just know I was there with my wife.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Practically all my DVD & VHS are music-related - the few that aren't (movies mainly) have either been given (my BD for ex) to me or recuperated from destruction/waste.
    Never was into owning movies, since I don't get much mileage out of them.

Unfortunately (mostly for her ), my GF found that my cathode-rube TV was OOS some 18 months ago (I rarely used it anyways) and I haven't yet taken the time to upgrade to a modern size.
    Soooo I do most of my DVD or TV watching on my computer (with enhanced speakers), but I did make a new year resolution that I will at least have one of my pads (beit Brussels or Dutch) equipped with a good DVD/BR/VHS viewing installation. This is becoming urgent, because my laptop shows signs of weaknesses (the hard disc making jet-engine noises when starting up) and I doubt finding new laptops will come with integrated disc-readers. Sooo the laptop situation could become a first priority.

My other NYR is to buy a good semi-automatic turntable (apparently this could be a challenge, since the stupid hipsters would prefer scratching their album by handling the needle directly on the disc, rather than have the arm&gravity deposing it gently on the disc), because the one I have seems to go every year to the repair shop.

Once I have a proper viewing installation set up, I can imagine that I will choose Rust Never Sleeps as one of the very first in my first binge.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I haven't bought many music DVDs/Blu-Rays lately, although I have a fair number already. (Maybe there's a connection?) Anyway, the most recent were a Canadian edition of Rush -Replay x3, Genesis -Wot Video? and Steve Hackett -Defector Tour, Bottom Line, NYC 1980. Haven't watched any of them yet.

The new Mandy Morton & Spriguns box set has a DVD of Mandy Morton Band live, which I am very excited about. The MMB was the least interesting iteration of her musical career, but it's Mandy, and it's something I never thought I'd see, so I'm kinda thrilled.

Camel Coming of Age on VHS...with one of Andy's guitar picks taped to it. And yes, the video quality is inferior to the DVD. But the Hi-Fi stereo audio track, using the flying heads on the rotating drum is far superior.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I haven't bought many music DVDs/Blu-Rays lately, although I have a fair number already. (Maybe there's a connection?) Anyway, the most recent were a Canadian edition of Rush -Replay x3, Genesis -Wot Video? and Steve Hackett -Defector Tour, Bottom Line, NYC 1980. Haven't watched any of them yet.

The new Mandy Morton & Spriguns box set has a DVD of Mandy Morton Band live, which I am very excited about. The MMB was the least interesting iteration of her musical career, but it's Mandy, and it's something I never thought I'd see, so I'm kinda thrilled.
    Is Mandy Morton Canadian? Because I've never heard of her. I'd be interested to see that Hackett DVD because I miss The Bottom Line, which is closed now.

I just called my guy to get some because that's the only way I can really enjoy the concert DVDs and watch a whole one! Watching one while on Friday nights seems like a good idea.

Is Mandy Morton Canadian? Because I've never heard of her.
    British. She (and her husband's) variations of bands have been on record collector's radars for a long time. I first got Jack With A Feather on CD in 1992 and then the Decca albums when the CD reissues first came out. Eventually bought all on vinyl, (except the Blue Vinyl 20 copy edition of Magic Lady, which I have on black vinyl.)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1232916-Spriguns

I just called my guy to get some because that's the only way I can really enjoy the concert DVDs and watch a whole one! Watching one while on Friday nights seems like a good idea.
    I like hanging out with friends listing to music that was call Prog Nights but Friday night is my favourite time of the week to sit back , relax, for my "me time" with the full support from my wife.

Remember this thread?

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ht=concert+dvd

Methinks your my Ottawan analog.

New additions since then that I've watched more then once would be Nektar, Sounds Like Swiss. Which upon seeing it being only black & white, was initially disappointed but 5 minutes into it and could care less anymore. I find it a very compelling performance. Also the Giraffe show from San Jose included in the recent box set. It's a short set so easy to watch multiple times.

Tomorrow night's show will be another one I've already viewed more then once but as I'm now reaching the end of his book I find it appropriate to again watch Mark Kelly's Marathon.
    Last edited by reynard; 02-10-2022 at 06:28 PM.

This would be a nice watch one night, some old school comfort on a snowy evening. I have a DVD-R of this somewhere in one of those old CD wallets with god knows what else...

Forgas Band Phenomena - Live at Nearfest 2010 from Acte V
    Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day Live ( or his The Orchestrion Project )
    David Byrne - Ride, Rise Roar
    Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    New additions since then that I've watched more then once would be Nektar, Sounds Like Swiss. Which upon seeing it being only black & white, was initially disappointed but 5 minutes into it and could care less anymore. I find it a very compelling performance. Also the Giraffe show from San Jose included in the recent box set. It's a short set so easy to watch multiple times.

Tomorrow night's show will be another one I've already viewed more then once but as I'm now reaching the end of his book I find it appropriate to again watch Mark Kelly's Marathon.
    I definitely have to give the Nektar b&w video a second try. I found it distracting but I'll give it another try. I'm a fan of the Mark Kelly book but am not familiar with Marathon. What is that?

This would be a nice watch one night, some old school comfort on a snowy evening. I have a DVD-R of this somewhere in one of those old CD wallets with god knows what else...

That looks like a really nice video. I'm going to watch it on the big screen soon. I saw the tour in Montreal when I was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Forgas Band Phenomena - Live at Nearfest 2010 from Acte V
    Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day Live ( or his The Orchestrion Project )
    David Byrne - Ride, Rise Roar
    Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light
    Nice selection! Pat Metheny is playing in Ottawa in a few months. Might go.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-10-2022 at 08:19 PM.