Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Well - Friday night again!

I'm back to my really nice 4 DVD Box Set - Jethro Tull. I watched 1 and 2 a month or more ago. Disc 3 includes shows from Holland 1999 (see video from the same tour), London, England 2001, Leamington Spa, England 2001 and Montreux, Switzerland 2003 and an Interview from 1999. Lots of classic tunes - Locomotive Breath, Thick As A Brick, Fat Man, Living In The Past and the more recent Doc.Com.

Let the fun begin!!

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm back to my really nice 4 DVD Box Set - Jethro Tull. I watched 1 and 2 a month or more ago. Disc 3 includes shows from Holland 1999 (see video from the same tour), London, England 2001, Leamington Spa, England 2001 and Montreux, Switzerland 2003 and an Interview from 1999. Lots of classic tunes - Locomotive Breath, Thick As A Brick, Fat Man, Living In The Past and the more recent Doc.Com.
    I enjoyed those 1999 and later shows more than I expected to; it's quite a nice set overall, even if it is a bit scattered time-wise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well - Friday night again!

Let the fun begin!!

It's funny how this era of Tull now seems almost classic compared with what I've seen of recent tours. Of course, having Martin is a large part of that, but it's more than that. I couldn't handle some kid who is also sweeping the floor singing some of the lead vocal lines. When I saw that little bit, I checked out. So I enjoy the era with Pegg, and the other guys whose names escape me.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I enjoyed those 1999 and later shows more than I expected to; it's quite a nice set overall, even if it is a bit scattered time-wise.
    Yeah, the set list is all over the place. What it does have is Ian's vocals in fine form. I could listen to that forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's funny how this era of Tull now seems almost classic compared with what I've seen of recent tours. Of course, having Martin is a large part of that, but it's more than that. I couldn't handle some kid who is also sweeping the floor singing some of the lead vocal lines. When I saw that little bit, I checked out. So I enjoy the era with Pegg, and the other guys whose names escape me.
    This DVD sounds like classic Tull, largely because Martin is still in Tull and Ian's vocals are very solid. I totally enjoyed the concerts. I did skip the interview and returned to the Duke DVD that is simply outstanding.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched a part of the DVD Shadows And Light from Joni Mitchell. This great outdoors concert features Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker and Don Alias.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I watched a part of the DVD Shadows And Light from Joni Mitchell. This great outdoors concert features Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker and Don Alias.

What a stellar line up. Joni is a gem, love her music. Will check out.

Yeah! Friday night and time for

I'm off to the Dominican Republic tomorrow. Heat and sunshine and green trees and grass! Interbellum, you'll have to carry the torch next Friday.

I'm in the mood for some Marillion. I have close to 20 of their DVD's but I'm pulling out Marillion's The Somewhere Else Tour 2007. I'm pretty sure Lorne said this is a special one. The set list is missing some of my favourites (e.g., Easter and some Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight tunes) but I'm confident it will be fine.

Here's to safe and speedy recovery for Pete!

I'm off to the Dominican Republic tomorrow. Heat and sunshine and green trees and grass! Interbellum, you'll have to carry the torch next Friday.

I'm in the mood for some Marillion. I have close to 20 of their DVD's but I'm pulling out Marillion's The Somewhere Else Tour 2007. I'm pretty sure Lorne said this is a special one. The set list is missing some of my favourites (e.g., Easter and some Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight tunes) but I'm confident it will be fine.
    Yes, Somewhere in London is my favourite of their live releases. It's just a great show overall IMO. Enjoy, and enjoy the Dominican!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I also watched a Marillion-show, although I went back a lot further: Fugazi Live concert for Swiss TV filmed 1984, which is included on the blu-ray in the Fugazi-boxset from 2021. I never really got into post-Fish-Marillion, with some exceptions. Anyway, this was a nice short concert. Here's the track Jigsaw from that performance:

Yesterday I watched two recently released DVD's with archive-performances of Baker Gurvitz Army. They are included in the boxset Neon Lights : The Broadcasts 1975, released in January by Esoteric Recordings.

On DVD1 there are two tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test, Febr. 7th 1975. I don't think this was a live-performance though.
    Also on DVD1 is the BBC In Concert 1975 performance with a live-audience. The track Mad Jack though has a spoken word passage from Ginger Baker during which his drumparts come from tape.

DVD2 contains BGA's performance at Musikladen, a tv-show from Raio Bremen, Germany, Febr. 1975. This show is without audience and in the first couple of songs the band is really messing arround with starting a track 2, 3 times over again. During Mad Jack Baker is playing drums during his monologue which is mixed in later from a different recording.

Baker Gurvitz Army was especially popular in the UK I believe. They made three LP's between 1974 and 1976. On the first two the compositions have a blues/rock background, but have also the complexity of progressive rock. Peter Lemer is the main man on keyboards.

Here's the Old Grey Whistle Test-performance:

And this is the openingtrack from the Musikladen-show, Inside Of Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgoXvPwxH5U

Thanks for another Awesome post Interbellum (but your second video doesn't play for me)

Just back from the Dominican Republic - delayed flight but it was awesome!

It's 6 a.m. now and I just put on Marillion's Brave 2013.

Mozo, we finally have a recreational dispensary opening near us, so expect me to up my game next weekend!

Here's to safe and speedy recovery for Pete!
    What happened with Pete??

What happened with Pete??
    He had surgery and will miss the Close To The Edge show (if it's didn't happen already).

^ Routine surgery? Maybe I did read a post about this on FB - if so, I forgot.

^ Routine surgery? Maybe I did read a post about this on FB - if so, I forgot.
    Yes, a routine surgical procedure.

Pete had a triple heart bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Pete had a triple heart bypass.
    That's major! I hope he recovers nicely.

I have the new Jinjer, Live in Los Angeles DVD on order now:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Mozo, we finally have a recreational dispensary opening near us, so expect me to up my game next weekend!
    How cool is that!!

^^^I'm waiting Jed!

It's Friday night!!!

I'm open to watching a DVD multiple times if it's excellent. I'm returning to the wonderful DVD - "Genesis: Duke Revisited". Live At The Lyceum in London: Recorded During The 1980 Duke Tour. For its vintage these tunes are across the board stellar. The video clairity and audio are acceptable. It's so amazing, and every minute is enjoyable.

There is a full video of the show here:

The Genesis show was sublime. Such talented musicians. Now, DVD Discipline Live 1995.

Friday Night! Anyone around?

Tonight - PFM: Live in Japan 2002. A DVD chock full of classic PFM. I would have liked to see no English lyrics but there are several. I much prefer the authentic way they recorded in Italian. I saw PFM at Nearfest in 2005. The show stands out as one of the memorable in my concert going history.

The video below includes one of my favourite prog guitarists - Franco Mussida. I think Franco's departure from PFM in 2015 was the greatest loss in the band's history.

Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-22-2024 at 10:46 PM.

Friday Night! Anyone around?

Tonight - PFM: Live in Japan 2002. A DVD chock full of classic PFM. I would have liked to see no English lyrics but there are several. I much prefer the authentic way they recorded in Italian. I saw PFM at Nearfest in 2005. The show stands out as one of the memorable in my concert going history. They focused on Storia di un Minuto and Per Un Amico during this show at NF.
    I'm around, but running through tomorrow's radio show in real time. Love the PFM though. I have the CD version with Sea of Memory, lyrics by Peter Hammill!

I was in a singer-songwriter mood Friday evening. First I watched the Coen-brothers movie Inside Llewyn Davis about the folkmovement in the early 60 in New York. Then I watched the DVD On Stage At World Cafe Live from David Poe featuring in two songs Duncan Sheik.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Poe-S.../dp/B000UCCIQW