Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

I had actually ordered the box set via Bandcamp back in the early days of first Fridays and had actually forgotten about it until I got the shipping notice a couple of weeks ago. So yes, it's been quite a while to get the discs but obviously had all the music already via downloads. The bluray wasn't even part of the box when I ordered it so was a bonus surprise at that. Thanks Squids!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I forgot that for "In Continuum" Dave used Bandcamp preorders, not Kickstarter.

^ Does the lid fit on your box set? Mine's so bursting with goodness, I can't close it all the way!

It does now that I shelved the the bonus video with the rest of my brs & dvds.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    It does now that I shelved the the bonus video with the rest of my brs & dvds.
    Don't forget to remove that sheet of foam rubber, give it a quick fondle, and then throw it away! Yeah, the box was still a bit overfull, but I managed to shelve it along with the rest of my Dave Kerzner Archive of box sets.

I picked up an Eddie Jobson "Four Decades Concert" (2 CDs + Blu-Ray) last week and am quite happy with it. It's from a 2013 concert in Tokyo featuring a quartet with Alex Machacek, Marco Minnemann, and unknown-to-me bassist Ric Fierabracci, with guest vocalists John Wetton, Sonja Kristina, and somebody named Adam Lippert. The performance was great and the sound and picture quality are both excellent. I can't imagine paying the lowest asking price on Discogs ($97 US + shipping), but it was a worthy addition to my DVD collection for the $24 CDN I paid for a second-hand copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I picked up an Eddie Jobson "Four Decades Concert" (2 CDs + Blu-Ray) last week and am quite happy with it. It's from a 2013 concert in Tokyo featuring a quartet with Alex Machacek, Marco Minnemann, and unknown-to-me bassist Ric Fierabracci, with guest vocalists John Wetton, Sonja Kristina, and somebody named Adam Lippert. The performance was great and the sound and picture quality are both excellent. I can't imagine paying the lowest asking price on Discogs ($97 US + shipping), but it was a worthy addition to my DVD collection for the $24 CDN I paid for a second-hand copy.
    Ric is really good. I saw him with Billy Cobham.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A 21st century Eddie Jobson live recording with excellent sound? confused.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A 21st century Eddie Jobson live recording with excellent sound? confused.gif

Yesterday I watched Angelo Branduardi as recorded for Musikladen in 1978. The DVD (https://www.discogs.com/release/9086...elo-Branduardi) shows an intimate show, quite different from the first time I saw Branduardi on TV. If I remember correctly that was on German TV, also in 1978. It was a big music-hall. I had never heard of this Italian musician before and was impressed, but I thought the studio-albums I listened to were too tame. Live he had a great keyboardplayer, bassist and drummer to accompany him and a couple of other acoustic guitarists (who also play other string-instruments). So I was glad the 3LP box-set Concerto was released. (I also have the 2CD-version).

To get an idea:

^ Is it April 1st?

Watching Marillion with Friends at St. David's. The band is excellent on this, but why add a string section? It didn't work for Genesis, and, IMO, it doesn't work for Marillion. Way too schmaltzy! I don't mind the French Horn though, or the flute.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-20-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Is it April 1st?

Watching Marillion with Friends at St. David's. The band is excellent on this, but why add a string section? It didn't work for Genesis, and, IMO, it doesn't work for Marillion. Way too schmaltzy! I don't mind the French Horn though, or the flute.
    I agree. I think the problem is it creates what sounds like elevator music - well, a bit of a stretch but the music lacks so much energy. The "rock" element is removed.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yesterday I watched the DVD of the 3CD/1DVD-set Trilogy: Chronicle - 1977-81 demo & unreleased live - from the Japanese bands Moondancer/Tachyon, both led by Reit Atsumi. The DVD shows one hour of two reunion-concerts shot in 2014. A longer live-experience is on the 2-CD-set Live! 2013.
    Atsumi is a keyboard-player known for his work in Vow Wow. Great entertainer on a lot of keyboards (Hammond, plenty of Moogs, Mellotron, piano). I couldn't find any recent live-clips from these bands, but to get an idea here's a clip from Sense Of Wonder in which he also performs:

I just got a 4k UHD Blu Ray player, but the selection of 4k UHD concert video releases seems pretty slim. The last thing I got was a blu ray of the rolling stones from San Jose in 99
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A couple of days ago I picked The Who Quadraphenia Live on Blu-Ray. They did a video sync with Keith playing his drum solo and occasional vocals, and John playing his bass solo. No timing issues whatsoever in that regard. Roger's vocals were kind of weak in the beginning, but improved as he warmed up.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I bought a bunch of Marillion DVDs on Racket Records (let me know if you've seen any of them and what their like):
    Out Of The Box (DVD) 1 0 £12.50

A Sunday Night Above The Rain (NTSC DVD) 1 0 £10.83

'Holidays in Zelande' Discs 4 & 5 Only (NTSC) 1 0 £4.16

'Holidays in Zelande' Discs 2 & 3 Only (PAL) 1 0 £4.16

'Holidays in Zelande' Blu-ray Version 1 0 £29.16

marillion.cl BluRay 1 0 £20.83

Out Of The Box (Blu-ray) 1 0 £20.83

A Sunday Night Above The Rain (Blu-ray Version) 2 0 £39.98
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ Seen 'em all, but I'll be damned if I can remember what is on which one! There're too many! I can say that the most recent one, from Chile (marillion.cl) is very good. They're all good, really. It depends on which albums are your favorites, and the albums that they play in full with the "weekend shows."

^^ Seen 'em all, but I'll be damned if I can remember what is on which one! There're too many! I can say that the most recent one, from Chile (marillion.cl) is very good. They're all good, really. It depends on which albums are your favorites, and the albums that they play in full with the "weekend shows."
    I am not surprised that you've seen them all! I forgot to mention, I bought the Afraid of Sunlight DVD off Ebay event though I paid more for the shipping that the actual DVD! I've got a lot of watchin' to do.

Yesterday at a local new and used record store, I found a Marillion DVD from the Script tour. Had someone else bought it, it no doubt would've been returned. It's unplayable on most machines because it's PAL.

Not a new purchase, but I'm watching Blind Guardian - Imaginations through the Looking Glass. Could have been a good DVD, but it's kind of ruined by cutting way too quickly from shot to shot. One of the worst concert videos I've seen because of that problem! And it's the only Blind Guardian concert video released...

Jed, do you know how rare Before First Light (Afraid of Sunlight Live 2003)? I paid a reasonable price of around $16 USD but the shipping was steep. I think it costs me about $40 Cdn and I can't wait to watch it tomorrow night. My second favourite Marillion album.

Not a new purchase, but I'm watching Blind Guardian - Imaginations through the Looking Glass. Could have been a good DVD, but it's kind of ruined by cutting way too quickly from shot to shot. One of the worst concert videos I've seen because of that problem! And it's the only Blind Guardian concert video released...
    Reminds me of the Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live" DVD I watched last week. Too many silly split screen shots, and the stage hands probably got more screen time than any of the musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Jed, do you know how rare Before First Light (Afraid of Sunlight Live 2003)? I paid a reasonable price of around $16 USD but the shipping was steep. I think it costs me about $40 Cdn and I can't wait to watch it tomorrow night. My second favourite Marillion album.
    I don’t know, but I think that was one of the earliest Marillion concert DVDs, so maybe fairly rare.

Deep Purple, Live in Bombay 1995. From the Purpendicular Tour. Quite an eclectic setlist, including 2 songs from The Battle Rages On, When a Blind Man Cries, Speed King, and Child in Time before they stopped performing it altogether. Even then, Gillan's voice started cracking during the screaming parts. Steve Morse had several solo spots, not just one. Gillan had not yet cut off his Jesus Christ Superstar hair, and Paicey had not yet started wearing a doo rag, like Roger. Jon had a Hammond XB-2 sitting on top of his proper Hammond B/C-3 Organ. He used it for the other sounds it had, part of what made the XB and XK-2 organs sound not so great. A jack of all trades, master of none situation. Even the city has changed. It's now Mumbai.

After years of searching, I finally got a hold of Looking Backward by The Rocket Scientists for a reasonable price and watched the dvd tonight. I like studio performances just as much as proper concerts when it comes to watching at home and this doesn't disappoint.

Last week I watched parts of Änglagård's Live: Made In Norway, yesterday it was Live At "Le Triton", a 40 minutes set from super-bassist Michael Manring, included on the DVD Resonances:

B.t.w. the 5.1 mix of the Änglagård-DVD seems to be slightly out of sinc with the images. I have no Blu-ray player, so I can't tell if this also occurs on the Blue-ray disc. No issues with the stereomix.